Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 05-13-19, 03:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
always pedal smooth, move smooth. Never pump pump coast pump pump coast.
+1
Old 05-13-19, 06:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Learn the art of soft-pedaling. Basically, you are coasting, but you keep turning the pedals over, just not fast enough to engage the pawls of the freewheel. It looks smoother, but more importantly it is smoother because you just have to increase the rotation a bit rather than starting from zero.
If more people would soft pedal, instead of coast, it would make my life in the paceline so much more relaxing.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-14-19, 07:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I have some advice in here from someone who got yelled at............if the route changes for a night because of weather or another reason and you are not 100% familiar with the change..........do NOT plan to pull or be up front near any of the possible turns.

Choose a straight.

I was stupid and was up front nearing what I thought was the normal left and sat up/slowed to turn but it was apparent I was in the wrong here.

Don't take it as "you're a weak ass, get off front"...........take it as "if you don't know where you're going.......don't lead".

It's pretty common sense, even if in the moment you feel you're not contributing or if it feels it is a hit to your manhood/womanhood.

Old 05-14-19, 09:20 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Nachoman
If more people would soft pedal, instead of coast, it would make my life in the paceline so much more relaxing.
Fixed gear in a paceline fixes this.

It's also loads of fun.

-Tim-
Old 05-14-19, 09:26 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
The reality is that your ONLY job in the paceline / peloton is to smooth out to the greatest extent possible the stuff happening in front of you to keep it from impacting the person / people behind you, to keep the draft tight, and to keep from making any sudden or unannounced movements.

Of course stuff happens. But the goal is to be proactively managing it on behalf of the people behind you (as much as you possibly can).
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 05-14-19, 06:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Heh. I think if like you say you between 0 and 3 or 4 feet away from the wheel in front of you the whole time, the lady was just crazy. Ignore her, or better yet act like you're deaf or just turn and make funny faces at her when she comments. Learn how to sign "I'm deaf" and use it when you're stopped
I get why guys who train mainly on freewheel bikes stop pedaling, but it does drive me crazy. I spent most of my time when developing riding the road with full time track riders. We were told to soft pedal instead of freewheel. If someone did freewheel it was because they were getting ready to stop, pothole or serious heavy braking was about to occur.

Last edited by colnago62; 05-14-19 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:34 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Fixed gear in a paceline fixes this.

It's also loads of fun.

-Tim-
A good pursuit team will ride about a tire width behind the rider in front of them.
Old 05-15-19, 03:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
113 pages of freds stroking freds.
Very impressive lol
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-15-19, 08:42 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If a paceline is moving fast enough, then all this stuff about coasting or soft pedaling or whatever becomes moot. You people are too slow.
Old 05-15-19, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Thanks for the reminders of why I love solo riding, and hate paceline. Not a big fan of regimentation--to me it's more like working on a factory assembly line than recreation.

No knock on you who like it, it's just not for me.
Old 05-15-19, 09:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Few things are as exhilarating as a group of guys working smoothly together at speed.

It is very natural and easy when done correctly. Those who don't like it have probably never been in a paceline with people who do it well.

I've only been in a few but they were memorable. I've probably deserved to be yelled at a few times.

-Tim-
Old 05-15-19, 11:02 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thanks for the reminders of why I love solo riding, and hate paceline. Not a big fan of regimentation--to me it's more like working on a factory assembly line than recreation.

No knock on you who like it, it's just not for me.

I have the same inclinations, but TBH in my experience, the people posting on this forum are far more neurotic about pacelines than people you actually encounter in a paceline.

Don't do anything truly stupid or dangerous, and nobody is going to yell. If you can't keep up, people will quietly sprint past to fill in gaps (if they can) on a drop, or regroup later on kind of ride. If they can't, well, they should be faster. And since they need to be faster, picking up the pace to close a big gap, or hanging on for deal life at the back of a line after bridging a gap is the kind of stuff that makes you faster.

If truly the only goal is to go as fast as possible while expending as little energy as possible, just buy a motorcycle...
Old 05-15-19, 11:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I have some advice in here from someone who got yelled at............if the route changes for a night because of weather or another reason and you are not 100% familiar with the change..........do NOT plan to pull or be up front near any of the possible turns.

Choose a straight.

I was stupid and was up front nearing what I thought was the normal left and sat up/slowed to turn but it was apparent I was in the wrong here.

Don't take it as "you're a weak ass, get off front"...........take it as "if you don't know where you're going.......don't lead".

It's pretty common sense, even if in the moment you feel you're not contributing or if it feels it is a hit to your manhood/womanhood.

Bah. It's the ride leaders fault for not communicating the turn to you earlier. Or nobodies, because it's a no harm no foul scenario. Or the leaders again because he didn't specifically tell you not to pull. Because, really, how can you possibly be aware of what turns you're not aware of that you're not aware of?

Some people just need to relax.If the leader(s) are concerned enough about not missing a turn that they feel the need to yell at and berate ride members, then they should also recognize that they should be proactive about communicating the ride route to everyone along with turns on an ongoing basis.
Old 05-15-19, 12:15 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I have the same inclinations, but TBH in my experience, the people posting on this forum are far more neurotic about pacelines than people you actually encounter in a paceline.
Agreed - I've mostly experienced positive interactions with others when riding in a paceline and I've found it to be fun and surprisingly social.

But then again, maybe I don't ride with 'serious' cyclists. Heck roadies around here tend to wave.
Old 05-15-19, 01:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Bah. It's the ride leaders fault for not communicating the turn to you earlier. Or nobodies, because it's a no harm no foul scenario. Or the leaders again because he didn't specifically tell you not to pull. Because, really, how can you possibly be aware of what turns you're not aware of that you're not aware of?

Some people just need to relax.If the leader(s) are concerned enough about not missing a turn that they feel the need to yell at and berate ride members, then they should also recognize that they should be proactive about communicating the ride route to everyone along with turns on an ongoing basis.
Some rides don't have leaders.
Old 05-15-19, 01:58 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by caloso
Some rides don't have leaders.

Sounds like the wrong kind of ride to be on if one is going to have a coronary about a wrong turn then.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 05-15-19, 02:45 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
If a paceline is moving fast enough, then all this stuff about coasting or soft pedaling or whatever becomes moot. You people are too slow.
Do your rides only cover flats and climbs? If the line is going downhill, the guy on the front can be at 350 watts and the rest of the line can be coasting. I mean, I guess I could sit up straight, open my legs wide and catch as much wind as possible so that I can pedal without soft pedaling.

If the guy in front of me is steady and smooth, I don't give a &%#@ if he's coasting, soft pedaling or back pedaling.
Old 05-15-19, 02:54 PM
PepeM

Pulling at 350 watts should get one yelled at.
Old 05-15-19, 02:59 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Four guys, 70 miles... 350 watt pulls are pretty solid. I need to see your podium pics. You must be famous.
Old 05-16-19, 11:02 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Whew! Thank god this thread has drifted back into dick-waving braggadocio; for a second there folks were starting to actually dispense sage & prudent advice!
Old 05-16-19, 11:51 AM
PepeM

Agreed. This thread is about yelling and whoever deviates from that should get yelled at.
Old 05-16-19, 05:32 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
This. All this.
Old 05-16-19, 05:33 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

And this.
Old 07-15-19, 02:27 PM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
I've been participating in hard core rides like this for 20 years. And I'd have to strongly disagree with two points:

• If you can't pull through, you pull OFF. This 'pull through even if it kills you' nonsense is absurd, simply because if the rider who fails to pull through is unable to - well then all the frantic flailing around trying to catch the 30mph wheel in front of him - the one that he didn't have enough snot to reach in the first place - is only going to make the inevitable gap that is created LARGER. And if you want to 'Yell' at the offender, that's your adolescent perogative. Get a clue. If that dude pulls OFF he's done you a favor by keeping the gap 20 yards instead of 50. And if you're too weak to close a 20-50 yard gap maybe YOU'RE the one who has no business being on that ride. Nobody likes it when the guy in front of them lets a gap open up. But that is strictly YOUR problem. Hey, the poor guy who just allowed it to happen is about to get DROPPED all together. Look at it that way. Isn't that penalty enough?

You 'must hammer until you're at the front'. Yeah, OK. What do you do to those who don't? SHOOT them? Bring a big clip cowboy. As always, Titanium bullets please.

• You're advising people in a 30mph paceline to make sudden moves around bumpy pavement? The last time some idiot did that our local 30mph ride a couple of months ago he nearly took DOWN the 5 guys behind him. If you can avoid pavement smoothly, predictably, you do. If you can't, you ride OVER it and HOLD YOUR LINE. Spare us the whining about your $1500 Zipps. Get a trueing stand.

God, that's the most elitist crap I've ever read.

ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST.

Zieg Heil mein kleine Road Nazi : ).

Thanks for this post...sounds a lot like one of my local weekend rides where there are a lot of mostly fast Masters racers/riders. There are some former Pro and a mix of Cat 1-5s. Most of these people I see at the 35+ Masters races. So already, you know there are going to be 50% of the group that isn't going to want, or be able to do pulls at 30mph. Even with a stop sign and a few corners where we slow, it is 26+mph avg for 25-30 miles. People are red lined on this ride all the time. Then, when people pull off or refuse to pull through the pace line and move over to the left side people coming back off the front due to the crazy pace, or won't pull through and just want to sit on the wheels in front...which is like 75% of the group BTW, here comes the usual 4-5 people yelling at them about sucking wheels, not taking pulls etc. Or, they just like to target some people for jumping roundabouts, when 4-5 people do all the time. But one is their buddy wearing the same club kit...but choose to yell something dumb to the person they don't know about being dangerous jumping the roundabout...when it is done safely, piece of cake, it is nothing and done very safely and you avoid the bad bike handling around the curve...hence why I do it.

When you have some guys like a former State RR and TT champions, or US Pro rider in the group that can simply ride from the back of the 40-50 person group, and go to the front and hammer along at 30-32mph for seemingly miles, then string everybody out redlining people...you should expect that a big portion of the group is never going to pull, if they do, it isn't going to be pretty and of course, things start to get messy, unorganized...and then yelling commences. For us, it is like 4-5 people that seemingly are always starting nonsense with some people. This includes a woman or two. I thought woman were supposed to be the more sensible of the sexes? Guess not..Type A personalities with them I guess as well.

I can go on and on about this one local ride...if it wasn't such good training, I would be out of there. But it really is getting to the point, and maybe their entire end-game of these people, to get rid of people they don't like on this ride for whatever reason...including not pulling through at times, which of course those same people sit in and don't pull themselves plenty of times when it gets going bananas on the ride.

It is a combination of the fast pace, people not pulling through, and the worst part of that, the attitude of some people that really make it a not very fun ride anymore.

So many people, estimate 15%, no longer show up to this ride because of the nonsense/dangerous crap that is going on at time, like running this one stop sign always....then the stop sign runners like to jump/take off and use it as some attack point and the rest is chasing for 2 miles to bring it back together. Dangerous, childish etc...it is a training ride. Go down the road 3 miles to another group ride, not racers mostly, but still a good training ride/speed/tempo, the ride and people are a complete 180 degree...friendly, chatting, making conversation even if strangers/new to the group. But this Master/high-level big portion racer group...what a difference in people/attitudes with some of them.

I know, I'm the problem and I'm going to get yelled at.

Last edited by zigmeister; 07-15-19 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For zigmeister:
Old 07-15-19, 03:00 PM
colnago62

I used to ride on a team that the coach would ride along on a little motorcycle. It was actually kind of nice because he would carry cold drinks in his bags and if someone got a flat, the group would just keep riding at about a 12mph pace and he would motor pace the rider back on after he fixed the flat. He was, however a stickler for following the scheduled training for that day. If was an endurance day, you better be in zone 2 or he would yell at you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.