Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting a custom bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting a custom bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 05:38 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a custom bike

I finally decided to get a custom bike. For over 10 years I've wanted a Landshark. The builder is in Oregon. He specializes in custom steel bikes and with unique interesting bike jobs. The paint is part of the build and basically if you design it, he will try and paint it.

The fitting went well. It took over 4 hours but I believe its as close to perfect as can be. The interesting news is that the new custom bike will be very similar to my current road bike. Other than a too long top tube, most of the other measurements were the same. I just have ot decide on the components etc (My plan is Ultegra 6600 with a Dura Ace 2730 crank in order to keep things "shiny silver". I think a classic look and color will go best with my paint scheme. This is just a representation - I am still trying to get the colors right. The design is suppose to represent a clear blue sky and wild roses...

The basic bike concept:

The design close up:

Any thoughts???

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-26-10, 05:42 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you know what tube set he uses? Will it be a lugged frame?
Looks like quite a treat you have in store for yourself - I am green.
Old 04-26-10, 06:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
You'll stand out -
I assume you are a woman.
If not you'll really stand out.

+1 on the Landshark custom.
You've gotta follow up with pics & ride report of the finished product.
Old 04-26-10, 06:40 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't have a pink helmet I think one is in order to go with that bike. Which steel is he making your bike from? I went to the Landshark site and looked at the options. I think I would ask how the one below from his website compares to Reynolds 853. It probably is as least as good as the 853 but you won't know if you don't ask.
If you are paying for the custom fit, you might as well pay a little more for the higher grade steel and get a little less weight and a better ride. I think I would also go with the better rear triangle too, if it doesn't drive the price up too much.

DEDACCIAI Less-Than Zero
Premium quality heat-treated

micro-alloy butted steel. Superlight
with excellent ride quality and stiffness.
Old 04-26-10, 08:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I had a Landshark in 1990-91, they were made in Pacoima, California then. Andy Hampsten rode a Pacoima Landshark in the Giro di Italia.
Mine was plain grey and Prestige tubing. Soft ride but waaay to whippy for me. I sold it to a lighter friend and he crashed it and sent it to John to be fixed and had a wild paint job put on it then. He still has it but doesn't use it anymore.
I always thought John was a good guy but I'm not all that impressed with the bikes.
Old 04-27-10, 07:40 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
If you don't have a pink helmet I think one is in order to go with that bike. Which steel is he making your bike from? I went to the Landshark site and looked at the options. I think I would ask how the one below from his website compares to Reynolds 853. It probably is as least as good as the 853 but you won't know if you don't ask.
If you are paying for the custom fit, you might as well pay a little more for the higher grade steel and get a little less weight and a better ride. I think I would also go with the better rear triangle too, if it doesn't drive the price up too much.

DEDACCIAI Less-Than Zero
Premium quality heat-treated

micro-alloy butted steel. Superlight
with excellent ride quality and stiffness.
Pink helmet? I say go whole hog and have your helmet painted to match the bike. Maybe you can get shoes to match too! But not a jersey. Heck, you don't want people to think you look gaudy, do you?
Old 04-27-10, 08:08 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure I completely understand. Is this bike frame going to be made to your specs? Or are you taking an existing frame and fitting it to you with custom paint? I think one of the most important aspects of a custom frame is the ratio of chainstay length to front center. Depending on where your saddle is relative to the bottom bracket and how much saddle to bar drop you have will determine how you balance on a bike. I think the perfect bike puts you knee over the pedal spindle while your weight is balanced such that there is little weight on the hands while riding.
Old 04-27-10, 09:57 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Landsharks are great bikes and the ones that I have seen with "fancy" paint jobs have been spectacular -- your bike will look fantastic.

Might look good with a pink Chris King headset.
Old 04-27-10, 10:19 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Not sure I completely understand. Is this bike frame going to be made to your specs? Or are you taking an existing frame and fitting it to you with custom paint? I think one of the most important aspects of a custom frame is the ratio of chainstay length to front center. Depending on where your saddle is relative to the bottom bracket and how much saddle to bar drop you have will determine how you balance on a bike. I think the perfect bike puts you knee over the pedal spindle while your weight is balanced such that there is little weight on the hands while riding.
If I were getting fit for a custom bike, it would be hard to think of anyone I would trust more than Landshark.
Old 04-27-10, 10:56 AM
sdean911

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry but whenever I hear the words land shark I hear a knock on the door, the misic from Jaws and think.....Pizza......FLowers

Enjoy the bike.
Old 04-27-10, 10:59 AM
Retired

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you deisgn the print or was that one that was offered. It's rather nice.
Old 04-27-10, 01:58 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off - NO PINK HELMET... that would be too girly... I really am not the pink type of gal... I like blue. However in order to keep with my theme, pink was necessary. I have a thing for California's wild roses. Plus it is a good highlight color for the blue and green on the bike.

I am getting:

DEDACCIAI Less-Than Zero

Premium quality heat-treated micro-alloy butted steel. Superlight with excellent ride quality and stiffness. Fully fillet brazed with multiple tube diameters, wall thicknesses and shapes. Cost $1695

I already have the Component set (Ultegra 6600) however the crank is too long (172.5) so I am ordering a Dura-Ace 7830 crank in a 170mm length. Also, the bike is truly custom, I use a mountain bike rear cassette and derailleur. I am getting the new XO milled cassette along with an XT derailleur. Yes this bike is a triple, a hill climber since I like to do mountains and stuff.

I am working on finalizing the design while the bike shop comes up with the price for the bike (=gulp= scary!!!) Thankfully I already had some big ticket items like the components and wheels.

And yes... the name Landshark comes from the old SNL skit. I like to think it's because once I get it, I will be eating up my road competition!

Hopefully I will have the bike my summer...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-27-10, 02:00 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
The bike is totally custom. The fitting took 4 hours. The guy I went to is a master fitter who works with the builder.

Old 04-27-10, 02:03 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Landsharks are great bikes and the ones that I have seen with "fancy" paint jobs have been spectacular -- your bike will look fantastic.

Might look good with a pink Chris King headset.
I thought about the pink CK headset... I am going with silver CK (to match my silver CK wheels) ... I want the bike to look classic so the stem, seat tube, headset and components will be shiny silver - I want the paint job to stand out. Of course if John's does a bad job I might want to bling it up a bit.

Old 04-27-10, 02:04 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retired
Did you deisgn the print or was that one that was offered. It's rather nice.
mine... so if it turns out awful I have only myself to blame!!!

Old 04-27-10, 03:25 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Pamestique: looks like a great plan with lots of details nailed down. We need final photos when it's finished, of course.

Do you have any clue how they finish the paint based on your design? Do they create a template and then repeat the pattern all over the bike? Or is it done by hand somehow?
Old 04-27-10, 04:22 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the pictures request once it's completed.

You must be extremely excited.
Old 04-27-10, 04:27 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have experience with John's work since I have many friends with his bikes. Interesting note: I have wanted a Landshark for 12 years. I referred all my friends who got one (or in the case my BF - 2). I just kept waiting thinking the money would be spent better elsewhere... it still could, but oh well...

Anyway, John does alot of work by hand - using an airbrush. Strange his website does not show some of his really beautiful paint jobs - alot of blended colors and processes, adding sparkle and shimmer. Recently, like the last few years I think he has started to use printed stencils more. He could do that with my roses but I prefer he attempt to paint them - I want it to look more Monet than graphic. He can and does lay down many levels of color and design. The paint takes months to harden so it's not like I will be riding it right away. I will be having my current bike adjusted to match the fitting so I can use that in the meantime. Nice thing is John will redo the paint job for $425. Right now it is "free" with the build.

Old 04-27-10, 04:28 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
+1 on the pictures request once it's completed.

You must be extremely excited.
Yes, I am but also having those second thoughts... so much money!!!!

Old 04-27-10, 05:27 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique

Premium quality heat-treated micro-alloy butted steel. Superlight with excellent ride quality and stiffness. Fully fillet brazed with multiple tube diameters, wall thicknesses and shapes. Cost $1695
$1695 for a custom frame is not a lot of money - even for a steel frame.
However I would ask for the name of the maker of the steel - typically should be columbus or reynolds. Since it is a steel frame you will need to worry a bit about rust. There is a treatment called frame saver which they can apply to prevent rust from the inside. Another option would be to insist on one of the new stainless tube sets from ccolumbus (XCr) or reynolds (953). My steel bike is much older, vintage ~1995 but it was nickle plated and therefore will not rust out. If you are in a real dry climate you may not have a lot to worry about.
Old 04-27-10, 06:59 PM
Retired

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the paint job will come out just fine. Although I think if I had that bike I'd ride around with it wrapped in bubble wrap so not to get a ding in it.
Old 04-27-10, 07:26 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
$1695 for a custom frame is not a lot of money - even for a steel frame.
However I would ask for the name of the maker of the steel - typically should be columbus or reynolds.
You must have missed this line:
"DEDACCIAI Less-Than Zero"

Pam, it sounds like it's going to be a fantastic (and beautiful) bike. You'll enjoy it for many years and many miles.
Old 04-28-10, 09:52 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Are you getting a matching tattoo? Don't worry about cost. If you spend a lot of time on that bike (and I'm sure that you will) it will be a lot cheaper than the $10 you spend on something you never use!
Old 04-28-10, 10:58 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You must have missed this line:
"DEDACCIAI Less-Than Zero"
Not that I missed the line - just did not recognize it as a tubing type, my ignorance. I did a little search but didn't come up with much, it does appear to make a very low weight steel frame. What that tells me is that it is most likely a very good material.
Old 04-28-10, 01:13 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Pam............to paraphrase the add...................."your going to like the way it looks on you." Nice bike, nice equipment fit.........and you will always know that you took part in making it unique and special.

While I don't use custom frames, I do build my own bikes so that everything on them is just as I want it to be.

I thought you were a mountain bike girl though........oh well, that's ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.