Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 02:14 AM
BrisVegas

Bikes: Bianchi, Merida, Speedwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?? 1990s Virata ??

Recently picked up a Virata. Japanese catalogues have it in production from 1991 to 1996 [and in the 2000s], but none of the photos are in the deep purple colourway this one has. (Can’t post photos as new to Forum).

Front triangle is carbon tubes with Cro mo/Tange (?) lugs and rear triangle. [Clear over the carbon to show the weave.

Rear dropout stamped “Richley”.

I know its not custom, as I found another in the US listed as 1994 model, which has a different but close serial number.

Serial number appears to be H3M011391. BB is English (1.37 68) (not sure)

I think it was made in Japan or Taiwan.

The seller told me he bought the frame 2nd hand from a bike shop some 15 years ago and they built it up out of bits and pieces from a bike he had.

The 90s catalogues list it as with Ultegra. Bike has 9 speed with 600 headset bearings and FD, and 105 cranks and RD. “105” is in yellow. BB is Octolink, which I think came out in 1996 (?).

Keen to know as much as I can, especially the original specs and the Pantone number for the purple, as it needs a touch up.

Thanks

Last edited by BrisVegas; 01-04-21 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-05-21, 05:30 PM
treedc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I inherited a bike from my father in law and would like to know the model, manufacture date, etc...the serial number is 59 A597p (I would post an image but this is my first post) I am thinking a 1993 Minimax record from my research. It has record-c brakes and record derailleurs Thanks! Reed
Old 01-20-21, 10:23 PM
Deadhead72

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1986 Limited

My 1986 Limited serial# BS803193
Old 01-23-21, 11:15 PM
Deadhead72

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My new to me 1986 Limited. I swapped out the black stem for sliver, and had to change the white hoods because they were really gummy. Serial number is in post above this.
Likes For Deadhead72:
Old 01-25-21, 03:55 PM
jurijn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! What an nice threat!
I've readed a lot , and would like to thank you all.
Just bought a yellow/goldish Bianchi? frame last week, but with no componets. Only the stem is on it.
The only thing i found was a sticker: Made in EEC? Racing BCOR? on the frame
on the rear end a sticker: Conforme aux exigences de securite Lot de Production: Nr. 106
on the bottom i found a mark with number: 017187 F6 and H55

Anyone know it's a Bianchi or knows more about it?
Old 02-05-21, 08:07 PM
Tipmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I have a Bianchi with 8M and 9014 on the bottom bracket which also has a screw on the brake bridge. The tubing sticker says its triple butted formula two Columbus tubing if that helps. The bike also has a black stem and a red square near the Bianchi decals.

The owner couldn't tell me much about the bike other than the fact that some components had been replaced. I don't believe it came with a Shimano 600 groupset but I could be wrong.

I'm having a very hard time finding the model of this bike so help would be appreciated!

Edit: here are some photos.

Last edited by Tipmann; 02-06-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-06-21, 11:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
Recently picked up a Virata. Japanese catalogues have it in production from 1991 to 1996 [and in the 2000s], but none of the photos are in the deep purple colourway this one has. (Can’t post photos as new to Forum).

Front triangle is carbon tubes with Cro mo/Tange (?) lugs and rear triangle. [Clear over the carbon to show the weave.

Rear dropout stamped “Richley”.

I know its not custom, as I found another in the US listed as 1994 model, which has a different but close serial number.

Serial number appears to be H3M011391. BB is English (1.37 68) (not sure)

I think it was made in Japan or Taiwan.

The seller told me he bought the frame 2nd hand from a bike shop some 15 years ago and they built it up out of bits and pieces from a bike he had.

The 90s catalogues list it as with Ultegra. Bike has 9 speed with 600 headset bearings and FD, and 105 cranks and RD. “105” is in yellow. BB is Octolink, which I think came out in 1996 (?).

Keen to know as much as I can, especially the original specs and the Pantone number for the purple, as it needs a touch up.

Thanks
Do you know if Australia is a separate market or they get the same bikes as the Japanese market? Here in the US ou '94 carbon Virata was festooned with 105 and came in a "black sapphire" which was clear coated carbon tubes and a fade dark blue at the lucgs and rear triangle. The '95 was black/red with RSX kit. and I think that was the end of the bonded carbon here in the US.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 11:55 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Tipmann
Hello,

I have a Bianchi with 8M and 9014 on the bottom bracket which also has a screw on the brake bridge. The tubing sticker says its triple butted formula two Columbus tubing if that helps. The bike also has a black stem and a red square near the Bianchi decals.

The owner couldn't tell me much about the bike other than the fact that some components had been replaced. I don't believe it came with a Shimano 600 groupset but I could be wrong.

I'm having a very hard time finding the model of this bike so help would be appreciated!

Edit: here are some photos.

Your pics are too small to see any details. I suspect your frame started life as '88 Campione de Italia. The tubing it TreTubi Formula 2 (YUGE debates rage on just what this tubing is but likley SL main tubes, maybe SP in the biggest frames, and a something like Alle or Cromor rear). I like to see a pic of that errant screw. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 12:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Deadhead72

My new to me 1986 Limited. I swapped out the black stem for sliver, and had to change the white hoods because they were really gummy. Serial number is in post above this.
that 1988 Limited is a great looking Bianchi! The '86 as well as the '87 were still using the Formula II tubing. Depending on the tubing this might even be an '89. We sold a fair amount of them, for the price it was a good deal, at around $850 (I only have the '89 price) it rode pretty well and was popular with tri guys

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 12:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by treedc
Hi I inherited a bike from my father in law and would like to know the model, manufacture date, etc...the serial number is 59 A597p (I would post an image but this is my first post) I am thinking a 1993 Minimax record from my research. It has record-c brakes and record derailleurs Thanks! Reed

Hello Reed, welcome to the forums. What country are you and the bike in? MiniMax is kind of rare her in the states, at least I've only ever seen one in person (which I sold to a great customer) and maybe 4 online. Bianchi USA offered them in '92 but thee was a separate Reporto Corse catalog in '93 that still listed them.

I'd love to see pics. You need 10 post over 2 days before the gate keepers let you post pics. You can upload them to your album and we can sleuth them out and post them. You could also just email them to me and I'll get them posted. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-21, 01:36 PM
Tipmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Your pics are too small to see any details. I suspect your frame started life as '88 Campione de Italia. The tubing it TreTubi Formula 2 (YUGE debates rage on just what this tubing is but likley SL main tubes, maybe SP in the biggest frames, and a something like Alle or Cromor rear). I like to see a pic of that errant screw. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com
Thank you for the reply!

If you right click on the pictures and open the links in a new tab, they should be a little bigger. If that doesn't work I can email you. Please let me know!
Old 02-06-21, 02:17 PM
Deadhead72

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
that 1988 Limited is a great looking Bianchi! The '86 as well as the '87 were still using the Formula II tubing. Depending on the tubing this might even be an '89. We sold a fair amount of them, for the price it was a good deal, at around $850 (I only have the '89 price) it rode pretty well and was popular with tri guys
Thanks! Yep have since figured out that it’s a 1988. Confused originally because someone has posted the 1988 catalog online and titled it 1986. I love it! It rides so smooth compared to my carbon bikes.
Likes For Deadhead72:
Old 02-12-21, 02:05 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Craigs list buy Bianchi Campione d'Italia (photo heavy)

I haven't lusted after Bianchi bikes, I appreciate them, the color, the history, Italian steel...but when I saw this listing on Craigs list I was intrigued. The seller said he bought it new in 89, he thought, and it was all original except the stem and the brake levers. Listed price $400.00. I am bored right now and was looking at a frame and fork (Tange) on Ebay for $149.00, so I thought a complete bike for a couple of hundred more might be a good deal. I did some research on the frame and found a little info. I tried to see what the components were but his photos were blurry. I was sure they weren't Campy and kinda sure they they weren't Shimano.

I finally found some info on the 1989 Campione d'Italia that mentioned Suntour Quattro and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

I picked it up today and feel that I got my money's worth. He bought it in 89 rode it a bit, he said not more than 100 miles week, and bought another bike in 200 and put this on aside. He got it out last summer and said he put less than 30 miles on it and decided to sell it.

Serial number is 5583, 59cm

Hope to get out and ride it soon, the temp today was 14 so I'll wait till it gets to 30 for a good shake down ride.
Old 02-12-21, 02:07 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

More picts...

First step, complete tear down, clean and wax frame, lube all bearings, new cables and Celeste housing, and try to find a set of Modolo levers that aren't too expensive...

Last edited by Jmpierce; 02-12-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-12-21, 03:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Jmpierce
I haven't lusted after Bianchi bikes, I appreciate them, the color, the history, Italian steel...but when I saw this listing on Craigs list I was intrigued. The seller said he bought it new in 89, he thought, and it was all original except the stem and the brake levers. Listed price $400.00. I am bored right now and was looking at a frame and fork (Tange) on Ebay for $149.00, so I thought a complete bike for a couple of hundred more might be a good deal. I did some research on the frame and found a little info. I tried to see what the components were but his photos were blurry. I was sure they weren't Campy and kinda sure they they weren't Shimano.

I finally found some info on the 1989 Campione d'Italia that mentioned Suntour Quattro and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

I picked it up today and feel that I got my money's worth. He bought it in 89 rode it a bit, he said not more than 100 miles week, and bought another bike in 200 and put this on aside. He got it out last summer and said he put less than 30 miles on it and decided to sell it.

Serial number is 5583, 59cm

Hope to get out and ride it soon, the temp today was 14 so I'll wait till it gets to 30 for a good shake down ride.
that is a nice clean ‘89 CdI and looks in good shape. Sadly the decals were horrible in ‘88/89. The group is an Ofmega Quattro featuring part like the crank from Ofmega, Rebranded Modolo brakes and Suntour derailleurs. Personally I’d leave those brake levers or look for Campi brake levers from that era or newer. I never liked the feel of the Modolo levers.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-12-21, 07:29 PM
Jmpierce

bianchigirll, It is very clean, a little paint chipping but other wise its in great shape. I know of a couple of the Modolo levers at the local co-op and I was thinking about replacing these but maybe I'll try something else.I think it was one of your posts that led me to the history of the Quattro components. I stripped it, cleaned all the components and cleaned and waxed the frame. It has a Shimano cartridge bearing bottom bracket that I'm guessing isn't original.

Do you know what stem was spec'd on these?
Old 02-13-21, 09:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
...Do you know what stem was spec'd on these?
The OEM spec handlebar stem was an ITM (Italmanubri) 200. The present stem appears to be a Tioga T-Bone, which was a pretty popular aftermarket stem.
Old 02-13-21, 09:55 AM
Jmpierce

Thanks T-Mar. The seller said he had the shop switch out the stem when he bought it so this stem has been on it since new.
Old 03-14-21, 09:29 AM
Leonie

Bikes: One beautfiul bianchi (additional information pending)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I believe to own a 1971/72 Bianchi which I inherited from my grandfather. It was bought in Munich, Germany most likely some time in the late 80's. What I believe to be a serial number is engraved at the seat post. It would be wonderful if anyone has some insights which could help me learn more about the story behind this bike.

S/N 6.6 571
Old 03-15-21, 05:15 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Leonie
Hello,

I believe to own a 1971/72 Bianchi which I inherited from my grandfather. It was bought in Munich, Germany most likely some time in the late 80's. What I believe to be a serial number is engraved at the seat post. It would be wonderful if anyone has some insights which could help me learn more about the story behind this bike.

S/N 6.6 571
Welcome to the forums. I haven't seen the x.x format serial number on any Bianchi prior to the 1980s. Typically it's alpha-numeric. Maybe one of those sixes is actually a poorly stamped 'G'? Regardless, it should be from 1986. Please post pictures for confirmation. Ignore the 10 post warning that you will receive from the site. When you upload them, they won't insert in your post but they will be deposited in a gallery album where members can view them.
Old 03-15-21, 10:25 AM
Leonie

Bikes: One beautfiul bianchi (additional information pending)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. I haven't seen the x.x format serial number on any Bianchi prior to the 1980s. Typically it's alpha-numeric. Maybe one of those sixes is actually a poorly stamped 'G'? Regardless, it should be from 1986. Please post pictures for confirmation. Ignore the 10 post warning that you will receive from the site. When you upload them, they won't insert in your post but they will be deposited in a gallery album where members can view them.
Thank you for the reply!
And so it becomes interesting . As you mentioned when I tried to post pictures they were added to a gallery, hopefully it is open to everyone. My original conclusion that the bike came from the early 70's is based on a comment I received by a bike mechanic. He mentioned that the method of engraving/stamping the B's (sorry I don't know the correct terminology), for example where the seat stays connect to the seat post, was changed after 1975 dating the bike to a time before that.

If I may ask, what is your reasoning for that the bike most likely is a 1986 model?
Old 03-15-21, 10:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Pic Assist - https://bikeforums.net/g/album/20858758

Old 03-15-21, 11:01 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts

Old 03-15-21, 11:33 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Leonie
Thank you for the reply!
And so it becomes interesting . As you mentioned when I tried to post pictures they were added to a gallery, hopefully it is open to everyone. My original conclusion that the bike came from the early 70's is based on a comment I received by a bike mechanic. He mentioned that the method of engraving/stamping the B's (sorry I don't know the correct terminology), for example where the seat stays connect to the seat post, was changed after 1975 dating the bike to a time before that.

If I may ask, what is your reasoning for that the bike most likely is a 1986 model?
Yes, I found your photographs and they support 1986. A 1971-1972 would not have water bottle bosses, an investment cast seat stay bridge for recessed brakes or short Campagnolo dropouts. All these features are very hard to change without great cost. The most modern feature are the Campagnolo non-Portacatena, short dropouts, which makes it no earlier than mid-1980s. The 'B' within a circle embossing on the seat stay caps carried through into the late 1980s.

Components also support the era with an aero style crankset (introduced early 1980s), post CPSC (1978+) Campagnolo components, 1978-1987 style Columbus decal and Modolo Speedy brakeset. It looks like the rear wheel, or at least the quick release skewer is a replacement.

The x.x segment of the serial number is the date code, with the numeral indicating the calendar year. Sometimes, we see some European models with two numerals. Regardless, since both are '6', it indicates 1986 manufacture, as frame features indicate it is not from the previous decade.

What is difficult to identify is the model, as specs and model names were often market specific and I have little knowledge of the German market models. However, the mixed Italian components are typical of Bianchi mid-range models of this era.
Old 03-16-21, 06:42 AM
Loose cog

Bikes: Colnago Mexico, Holdsworth, Zini, Alpina, Gemini, Colnago Master Pista, Colnago Master xLight, C40, Dream Lux, Vitus Dural 797, Vitus Carbone 3 KAS team replica, DHC, Viner, Vitesse, Alan, Bianchi, Cinelli, Paletti, Basso, Benotto, Dancelli, FW Evans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Bianchi Pista

Good afternoon

After a long search I recently purchased this Bianchi pista/track frame. I am now looking to try to establish what model the frame is and what tubing it could be. The BB is Italian with 27mm or 27.2 mm seatpin diameter.

would also like to establish the date it was made. Any assistance is appreciated.

The serial number on the BB looks to be E . 007

Here are some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.