Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie Fork steerer, headtube length question...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-20-13, 09:01 PM
Lacie123401

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I have a fork with 19cm carbon steerer.
I currently have a road frame with a 110mm head tube length. Chris king headset 1 1/8 nothread (31.4mm), and a zipp service SL stem with 42mm stack height.
Is this how I correctly calculate how many spacer mm space I have left after they are all installed?
IE: 190mm (fork steerer) - 110mm (head tube lenght) = 80mm
80mm - 31.6(chris king) = 48.4mm
48.4mm - 42mm = 6.4 mm?
Is this a correct calculation and if so does that mean I have only 6.4mm space left?
Thank you for your help!
Old 03-20-13, 10:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacie123401
Hi guys,
I currently have a road frame with a 110mm head tube length. Chris king headset 1 1/8 nothread (31.4mm), and a zipp service SL stem with 42mm stack height.
Is this how I correctly calculate how many spacer mm space I have left after they are all installed?
48.4mm - 42mm = 6.4 mm?
Is this a correct calculation and if so does that mean I have only 6.4mm space left?
Thank you for your help!
I'm assuming when you list 31.4 for the headset, you're talking about the total stack height: lower bearing cup height + upper bearing cup height. If that's the case, I believe your calculation is correct. It will work, but might require a pretty thin top /compression cover for the upper bearing, and you won't be able to put any spacers under the stem to get your bars up. If you like your bars at that height, you're good to go. But, theoretically, for most CF steer tubes, you could put as many as 30-40 mm of spacers between the upper bearing and the stem if you wanted to raise your bars to that height, so the fork you have will be pretty non-adjustable in that sense.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-21-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 10:45 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
looks okay to me. for reference i just bought a bike with a 145mm headtube. used a standard threadless headset from richey about 35mm stack height. had a stem with about 40mm stack height. had a compression plug with about 2mm stack height. total stack height was about 145 + 35 + 40 + 2 = 222mm? had a fork with 210 steerer. had to fashion a 10mm steerer extension from a piece of carbon steerer off another bike and use a 5mm spacer on top. perfect!
Old 03-21-13, 06:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
had to fashion a 10mm steerer extension from a piece of carbon steerer off another bike and use a 5mm spacer on top. perfect!
Wut!

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Of what material is the steerer made? Is your steerer extension just placed on top of the steerer tube, or is it bonded to it in some fashion?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-21-13, 09:48 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Wut!

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Of what material is the steerer made? Is your steerer extension just placed on top of the steerer tube, or is it bonded to it in some fashion?
carbon steerer, carbon forks. the compression plug holds it all together just fine.

OTOH, in the OP's case, if he or she is concerned that the steerer is not long enough ("does that mean I have only 6.4mm space left?"), and he or she may be, what i have done would not work, IMO.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 03-21-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 09:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
carbon steerer, carbon forks. the compression plug holds it all together just fine.
That is a really friggin bad idea.

The compression plug is designed to put the right tightness on the headset. It is not designed to hold the stem on, or to hold the steerer together.

You essentially have your stem bolted to 2 different pieces of steerer stacked together. Your stem is held to the steerer by one bolt, cantilevered out above the steerer. That's got to be putting forces on the steerer that it wasn't engineered for. Any play that develops over time is just going to magnify it.

This has the potential to end very badly.

Personally, I wouldn't risk paralysis or death, to save the hundred dollar or so cost of doing this right.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 03-21-13 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 11:05 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
That is a really friggin bad idea.

The compression plug is designed to put the right tightness on the headset. It is not designed to hold the stem on, or to hold the steerer together.

You essentially have your stem bolted to 2 different pieces of steerer stacked together. Your stem is held to the steerer by one bolt, cantilevered out above the steerer. That's got to be putting forces on the steerer that it wasn't engineered for. Any play that develops over time is just going to magnify it.

This has the potential to end very badly.

Personally, I wouldn't risk paralysis or death, to save the hundred dollar or so cost of doing this right.
I'm right there with you. There is no way I would ride a bike setup like that.
Old 03-21-13, 11:07 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Hi guys,
48.4mm - 42mm = 6.4 mm?
Thank you for your help!
You realize that the Chris King 1 1/8 is width and not height correct? The height should be a good deal less than that.
Old 03-21-13, 11:53 AM
Camilo

You realize that the Chris King 1 1/8 is width and not height correct? The height should be a good deal less than that.
Some of the 1 1/8 CK threadless headsets have a stack height of 31.4mm. 1 1/8 would be 28.6, not 31.4 anyway.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-21-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 11:54 AM
Lacie123401

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
From what I understood from chris king website, the stack height was 31.6mm. Is that wrong?
Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by Camilo
Some of the 1 1/8 CK threadless headsets have a stack height of 31.4mm. 1 1/8 would be 28.6, not 31.4 anyway.
That is a hell of a stack height, guess I have been away from non-integrated headsets for too long.
Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

From what I understood from chris king website, the stack height was 31.6mm. Is that wrong?
I have no idea, ignore my previous post. According to Camillo I was incorrect. It happens.
Old 03-21-13, 11:59 AM
Camilo

No, you're not wrong. Look at "nothreadsets" on this page https://chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all. It's 31.4 total stack height for a 1 1/8 inch threadless headset.

Just as a big FWIW: this is an important thing to consider when comparing two frames - the stack height of the headset. Two frames with the same length threadless head tube will have very different handlebar height ranges depending on whether they have an integrated or internal (zero stack) head tube vs. a conventional external cup threadless headset.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-21-13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 01:12 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP...with your stack, you will likely end up with a spacer a bit taller than 6.4mm. Your calculation is correct...but the steerer shouldn't be placed line to line with the top of your stem...rather about 3mm or so sub flush. This allows for compression tightening of the headset.
You could be able to run a single 10mm spacer OK...or a 5mm spacer under the stem and 5mm spacer over the stem if you want to run a bit more slammed.
I hope you know that working backward like you are is a bit ill advised. Best to start with an uncut steerer. Theoretical stacks also can have a hint of error in them. Most for a bike build...I will generally cut the steerer to about a 30-40mm spacer stack under the stem...then later remove the fork and cut again after I have adjusted my riding position...and regrease the headset then at the first maintenance. Also keep in mind that stems can vary a bit in stack height.
Have fun.