Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to wash cycling clothing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-25-20, 05:44 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

how to wash spandex.lycra

jersey. Shorts

what are best ways to prolong life of clothing
Old 08-25-20, 05:48 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I just follow the care labels that are in all garments. Usually this is machine wash and drip dry. I've got jerseys that are well over 15 years old (and a couple pairs of shorts) that are still going strong.

There's also a point of view (that I agree with) that washing soon after riding prolongs the life of cycling clothing more than anything. Letting the clothes sit in a pile soaked with sweat is not good for them.
Likes For mprince:
Old 08-25-20, 05:50 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gentle cycle and hang after
Old 08-25-20, 05:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
In the U.S. folks began using washing machines in the early 20th century. By mid century, most folks were using them. That, a cool water wash cycle, laundry detergent and line drying is about all that's needed.

Now, up in the Great White North, who knows...
Old 08-25-20, 05:53 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Gentle cycle and hang after
I turn everything inside out and zip it up as well.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-25-20, 05:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Zip up all zippers. If left unzipped, the teeth will abrade fabrics.

Optional: place everything in lingerie bags, and don't overstuff them. This will reduce mechanical abrasion in the washing machine.

Use gentle detergent (Woolite is not gentle; use Dreft or other detergent designed for baby clothes).

Gentle cycle, or Handwash cycle if your machine has it.

Use the Extra Rinse option if your machine has it. Lycra doesn't like having detergent left in it.

Optional: dry on lowest heat setting for 15 mins to take out some moisture; skip this step if you are being super-cautious.

Hang to dry; make sure shorts are inside-out or they will take 2x as long.

Note: NEVER put anything with velcro in with your cycling clothes; velcro sticks to lycra and will cosmetically damage it. In other words, wash cycling gloves separately, by hand, in a sink.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-25-20, 06:07 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My favorite neon yellow jersey had a dirt spray up the center back that would not come off, despite pre-treatment scrubbing w/ liquid detergent.

The solution that worked was to use bar soap and tap water to scrub off the stains, followed by a normal cold water washing machine wash.

Looks new again.
Likes For wingless:
Old 08-25-20, 06:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
My favorite neon yellow jersey had a dirt spray up the center back that would not come off, despite pre-treatment scrubbing w/ liquid detergent.

The solution that worked was to use bar soap and tap water to scrub off the stains, followed by a normal cold water washing machine wash.

Looks new again.
Glad it worked for you. I've done this with Spray and Wash (or similar) followed by a looong soak in detergent solution in a sink, followed by a machine washing.
Old 08-25-20, 06:15 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
The only two detergents that get my gym clothes clean and really free of odor are HEX, which is a sport detergent for synthetics, and Seventh Generation which you can buy at Target. The later is really good and giant bottle is cheap, ironically because it is a plant-based detergent. Not letting them sit around dirty is important too. At lease rinse them in water and hang up.
Old 08-25-20, 06:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I zip the zippers on my jerseys and put my really nice skinsuits into bags for washing them. But otherwise, most of our cycling clothes go in with the regular wash - cold water and normal cycle. I do hang dry them though.

Also, use less detergent than you think you will need, double rinse, and add some vinegar to the wash.

Laundry detergent tends to cling to synthetic fabrics more than natural ones. This leads to perma-stench. Using less detergent, double rinsing and vinegar help release the detergent from the fabric so your clean cycling clothes don't develop a permanent smell.
Old 08-25-20, 06:38 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If only these precious garments came with care labels...
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-25-20, 06:42 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Zip up all zippers. If left unzipped, the teeth will abrade fabrics.

Optional: place everything in lingerie bags, and don't overstuff them. This will reduce mechanical abrasion in the washing machine.
^ This. I didn't even know mesh wash bags existed until I got married and saw my wife using them I put my gloves and anything else with Velcro on it in one bag to prevent the Velcro from destroying other fabrics. I put my socks and sweat bands in another bag just to make it easier to get them out of the washer.

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 08-25-20, 08:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I hand wash everything immediately after use. While still damp with perspiration, just a minute or two of washing does the job.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-25-20, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a magic drawer that clean cycling clothes magically appear. After a ride I throw them in a hamper, and like magic they reappear in my magic drawer.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-25-20, 01:43 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
You guys really wash your cycling clothes?
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 08-25-20, 02:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Is this a serious question ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-25-20, 03:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I hand wash everything immediately after use. While still damp with perspiration, just a minute or two of washing does the job.
When touring, if there is a shower I will wash them while I wash myself, which is usually within an hour of arriving at camp. Need to get them hanging to dry as soon as possible.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-25-20, 07:13 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
Hand washing with mild detergent, and then hang them to dry. Machine washing and drying is tough on clothes, and is the primary cause of wear and fading. Get enough jerseys and shorts that you can give each set time to dry before using them again. A good mild detergent is a decent quality shampoo. Dandruff shampoo works well to kill fungus in shorts. I was a medic in the Army, where so-called "crotch rot" was an issue with Infantrymen spending lots of time in the field with high heat and humidity, and few showers (and not fun, at least for me, to diagnose). Dandruff shampoo (like Head and Shoulders) was the best non-prescription cure.
Old 08-25-20, 07:53 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Hand washing with mild detergent, and then hang them to dry. Machine washing and drying is tough on clothes, and is the primary cause of wear and fading. Get enough jerseys and shorts that you can give each set time to dry before using them again. A good mild detergent is a decent quality shampoo. Dandruff shampoo works well to kill fungus in shorts. I was a medic in the Army, where so-called "crotch rot" was an issue with Infantrymen spending lots of time in the field with high heat and humidity, and few showers (and not fun, at least for me, to diagnose). Dandruff shampoo (like Head and Shoulders) was the best non-prescription cure.
Wow, its a synthetic material, I throw mine in the wash with my other clothes with average cost detergent on cold and most times it goes into the dryer. Instead of all the time spent on weekly or daily rituals I'd rather just buy new ones a year earlier if they deteriorate . Maybe because it is for cycling it requires more work then normal. I *do* use Odoban occasionally in the rinse cycle in all of my clothes and washables if it stinks but I already have it for other things around the house. Not just because it is cycling clothes. Sams club has it cheap.

Last edited by u235; 08-25-20 at 07:59 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 08-25-20, 10:27 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Now, up in the Great White North, who knows...
We're still waiting for electricity to get here. Once that happens I'll let you know.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-25-20, 11:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
New every time
Old 08-26-20, 07:41 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I normally only do one load of laundry per week. When I didn't have a weeks worth of cycling shorts and jerseys I washed them while taking a shower after my ride and hung them to dry. I don't bother with cycling specific clothes anymore. I only wear poly compression under shorts and mostly wear fast drying fishing shirts, so the laundry gets done when it needs done in the washing machine.
Old 08-26-20, 08:35 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Ditto. I wash my cycling clothing immediately after cycling.

If it's only your cycling clothing and probably a few other pieces of clothing in your clothes bin, it's definitely a waste of energy to throw them in the washer. In this case, hand-wash your cycling clothing. They're only few pieces after all, would only take 5 mins tops of your time to handwash.
Not only that but I use that 5 gallon bucket like the one I see at Home Depot. I don't fill it up to the top but just enough to use laundry liquid and cold water to soak the clothes. While soaking, I use the same water to wipe down the bike. Then go back to agitate the clothes a bit. Then rinse, and hang dry.

Getting perspiration off the clothing immediately and a rinse in cold water is what I think will allow the material, especially the foam padding to last a bit longer.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 08-26-20, 10:04 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm trying to think of any cycling clothing aside from gloves that I have actually worn out.

In general, the stuff lasts like crazy with gentle machine washing and drying.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-26-20, 10:34 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I think some of my oldest lycra is more than 6yrs, and those are still doing fine. I avoid the lower-priced stuff, maybe that helps.
Successful method: Machine wash, gentle cycle, use only Atsko Sport-Wash for these materials with 2 tbsp borax pre-wash. Line dry overnight. excellent long-term results: colors still strong, elastic intact, material feels new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.