Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick Chain Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quick Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 02:26 PM
AJ1515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quick Chain Question

Hey Everyone,

Hopefully a quick question: Does KMC or anyone else sell single links to add to a chain? I have a single speed KMC chain, and while I could buy a new one after switching to a larger gear ratio, I'd prefer to rivet on a link or two. And I've already got plenty of quick release links stashed; I'm looking for non-connector links that I can add.

Thanks!

AJ
Old 12-29-20, 02:58 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I would recommend just buying a new chain with extra links which you can remove and you'll have a new spare ready to use when the old one wears out. You could also ask at your local bike shop as there's a good chance they'll have some extra links lying around.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 12-29-20, 03:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Chain questions are never quick, nor are they simple when put before us, the "mob". Let's see what happens to this one.

But since most new chains are longer than needed, I too would just get a new chain and pull a link or two off of it if I didn't have pieces parts of every chain and then some that I've used throughout the years laying around somewhere. And your LBS may too, so just ask one or two of them if they have an extra link or two of the correct chain taking up space in their bins for spare parts.

But you'll need a new chain eventually anyway if you ride frequently.
Old 12-29-20, 03:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I have never once seen single chain links available anywhere.
Old 12-29-20, 03:19 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
how do you plan to reattach the chain? once you push a pin out, it's not very strong when it goes back in. In my personal experience, this is a good way to end up with scars like mine. find an appropriate size master link and add a link that way.
Old 12-29-20, 03:34 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
how do you plan to reattach the chain? once you push a pin out, it's not very strong when it goes back in. In my personal experience, this is a good way to end up with scars like mine. find an appropriate size master link and add a link that way.
The OP will still need inner links/complete links to go with the outer master links, to lengthen their chain
Old 12-29-20, 03:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
If you can find one, buy a complete new KMC chain of the same model as the one you have. It will be too long for your bike, but no matter. You can trim off the number of links you need to lengthen your current chain and still have more than enough to use as a replacement when your current chain wears out. Unlike chains for 9+ speed cassettes, single speed chains don't have chain pins that have to be peened in order to deal with shifting loads. You will end up a spare chain that you will be able to use in the future
Old 12-29-20, 04:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
When I fit a new chain to one of my bikes I have to cut off several links to size it properly. I always keep a few of these cut off segments in my parts supply in case I have to repair a damaged chain or lengthen a too-short chain due to a gearing change.

I would always splice this extra length into the chain using a master link or Shimano joining pin at each end, never reusing a standard pin.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-29-20, 05:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
When I fit a new chain to one of my bikes I have to cut off several links to size it properly. I always keep a few of these cut off segments in my parts supply in case I have to repair a damaged chain or lengthen a too-short chain due to a gearing change.

I would always splice this extra length into the chain using a master link or Shimano joining pin at each end, never reusing a standard pin.
I keep the cut-off links plus a few master links in my bike tool bag for on-the-road repairs. I find the Shimano "special joining pin" concept somewhat lacking and only use master links, for ease in service and cleaning.
Old 12-30-20, 03:21 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Being it is a single speed chain, you should be able to find some links at you LBS or coop if you have one nearby.... or as others have said, buy a new chain and save the links you don't need when resizing it..

Old 12-30-20, 03:26 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by cxwrench

But I have seen individual half-links that could be added.

Old 12-30-20, 03:28 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by AJ1515
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully a quick question: Does KMC or anyone else sell single links to add to a chain? I have a single speed KMC chain, and while I could buy a new one after switching to a larger gear ratio, I'd prefer to rivet on a link or two. And I've already got plenty of quick release links stashed; I'm looking for non-connector links that I can add.

Thanks!

AJ
AJ1515, PM me your address and I will drop some in the mail, I know we have plenty of "shorts" laying around the shop and most likely some are KMC.

Old 12-30-20, 06:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
how do you plan to reattach the chain? once you push a pin out, it's not very strong when it goes back in.
The OP is referring to a single-speed chain, not a riveted 9-speed or higher chain. There should be no problem re-connecting the chain by pushing the pin back in place.
Old 12-30-20, 07:24 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The OP is referring to a single-speed chain, not a riveted 9-speed or higher chain. There should be no problem re-connecting the chain by pushing the pin back in place.
my experience riding BMX for over 20 years with various 1/8" singlespeed chains tells me that pushing a pin back into a chain is still a bad idea. most modern BMX chains have "mushroomed" pin ends that don't take well to being reinstalled. the outer link plate will be compromised and is likely to fail at that point in the chain. I have the scars to prove it, and, being broke and stubborn as a younger person, I did this more than once. a singlespeed master link is the way to go. you'll need at least one spare inner link to make it work.

some come with a slightly longer "master pin" that can be used this way. The Shadow Conspiracy did this with their burly half-link chain.
Old 12-30-20, 07:48 AM
AJ1515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thank you, all, for the responses. I think I will go the new chain route and nick off some of the extra links. The chain I'm using still has plenty of life in it, and I have also had KMC send me some additional rivets that I will pop in as I resize the currently installed chain.

Again, thanks for the very quick replies!

Alex
Old 12-30-20, 02:46 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Campagnolo sells 7 10 speed half links for $25.99 and Pro Bike Kit USA has them for $22 although it's not a good deal - 114 half link chains are $37 for Veloce and $48 for Record.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-c.../10771703.html
Old 12-30-20, 03:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Campagnolo sells 7 10 speed half links for $25.99 and Pro Bike Kit USA has them for $22 although it's not a good deal - 114 half link chains are $37 for Veloce and $48 for Record.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-c.../10771703.html
Never seen this before. Campy does it for 10 speed chains only. No one else offers links like this at wholesale.