Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

does your kit fit?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

does your kit fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 07:03 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
One of my challenges is arm holes.

We aren't all Chris Froome-esque twig people. Some us are, well, *squat*

Another is my legs on bibs but at least they stretch unlike jersey arms. My legs are 28" long and around. Bibs come down to my knees and the straps are tested with my long torso.

lol
Old 07-21-22, 07:28 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
We aren't all Chris Froome-esque twig people.
There's no reason to thin shame.

Do better.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-21-22, 07:57 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I have a similar problem. I call it my frog body. Long arms and legs, but short torso. I went with bibs to replace the shorts. I measured the back of a jersey that fits from the neck line to waist line. I now look for similar sized jerseys. Having an elastic waist band on the jersey seems to help too.
Old 07-21-22, 08:48 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There's no reason to thin shame.

Do better.
It wasn't meant derogatorily - just to illustrate that in my personal experience cycling jerseys are obviously for arms than are thinner than my arm bones. Solar sleeves are another issue - my skin is indented for *days* after I've worn them. The logical deduction is that most cyclists "serious" enough to wear kit are built radically differently than I am.

Maybe I should have been more self-deprecating in describing my own physique as more like Gimli? I haven't met anyone who wasn't surprised when I tell them how much I ride... I do not look like most other cyclists

I don't think I know anyone else that has 28" legs and 8" wrists. Certainly not any cyclists

Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 07-21-22, 08:49 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
No, it does not fit. You need to be the shape of a bike spoke to fit most bike apparel. Lately I've resorted to bibs and a t-shirt for comfort and not look like you know who. This is an issue in the fashion/clothing industry as well, leading to excessive returns and waste cos lots of ppl just isn't "average" shaped.
Old 07-21-22, 09:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

It wasn't meant derogatorily - just to illustrate that in my personal experience cycling jerseys are obviously for arms than are thinner than my arm bones.
Thin-shaming phrases may not be said/written with cruel intent, but as someone who has been thin-shamed my entire life, those words hurt.

It's no different than fat shaming.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-21-22, 09:20 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
It wasn't meant derogatorily …
i have never heard “twig-shaped” as a compliment!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-21-22, 09:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I find jerseys too long, but it could be that if I weren't so fat I could fit a size smaller, which would also be a size shorter.
Funny, I've been riding my old custom racing jerseys where the pockets are down at my butt as was the style long ago and getting reminded I like that far better then the jerseys that are too short. (Now those old jerseys have fabric that does not stretch so there is no bounce to the stuff in the pockets. Some of my new jerseys would be a disaster that long.) Granted, I'm still skinny. I can still wear the custom1jersey cut to my racing weight.

Those jerseys are the old, no tricks, no moisture management, no lycra, spandex, etc. So the temperature range is narrow or you have to be tough. (Yes, there was the super fabric, wool, back then but I shared an apartment in an often hot and humid city. Drying space and time would not have been appreciated nor would not washing those jerseys. My bikes were enough of an imposition.)

But within the limits of (my now much narrower) temperature comfort range, those jerseys simply disappear. Still. Looked in the mirror and saw excess fabric around my shoulders. "Hmmff" Then I remembered that the shoulders never go tight when I do my long reach to the brake levers I love so much.

Jones Cycle Wear. Lunenberg, MA. Provided the jerseys for NEBC BITD. Back in business with their daughter I believe.
Old 07-21-22, 09:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,652 Times in 2,924 Posts
Thin-shaming phrases may not be said/written with cruel intent, but as someone who has been thin-shamed my entire life, those words hurt.

The only people I get grief from are women whom are envious about how much I can eat and “never gain any weight”. Little are they aware that I hike, cycle, walk (used to run) two or more hours a day. I feel for people who struggle to loose weight and know how difficult it can be after putting on 10 lbs after too many Irish breakfasts, wonderful meals and pints of Guinness. It took me months to loose it. Maybe you need to spend a few weeks in Ireland?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-21-22, 11:21 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You don’t state you height and weight, the kind of biking you do, which would be helpful for making recommendations of clothing lines.

I am 6’1” 163 lbs and am hwp. I find jerseys from Amazon fit me just right. Jerseys purchased from AliExpress are much shorter. You will need to try shorts from various manufacturers to find one which works best. All are not created equal - and trial and error may be unfortunate route to take.
OK- Im bout 5'11"/177#; ride a hybrid only on pavement.
Yea, different manufacturers fit different- I have one pair of shorts that fit good, even the waistline, but feels like a diaper.
Old 07-21-22, 11:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts

The guy also self deprecated when describing his physique.

I have a sasquatch riding a bike tat on my right calf because I feel like a sasquatch when riding a bike. When someone says I am big, I dont take that as a compliment or an insult- its an observation. It neednt be taken as anything negative. When they say they like to draft off me, I laugh and accept it because I too would want to draft off a large object.
Saying someone that is extremely thin has the arms of a twig is no more or less insulting than saying someone that is quite large in stature has the arms of a tree trunk. If you perceive one as an insult and the other a compliment without knowing context, then thats on you.
Froome's arms are quite thin. They are purpose built for what he needed them do to become a world leader in his profession.

We participate in a hobby/sport that categorizes the average male as a Clydesdale and where XXL jerseys are often too small for me, even though my BMI is in the 'healthy weight' range. There is a well established bias in cycling clothing design and it favors the thinner among us. The other poster was really just pointing that out.
Also, there is a difference between an insult and shaming. At least there use to be.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-21-22, 01:27 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Mod Warning - Do not post a picture of Lampre Man.
I'll note that you didn't prohibit Polish Cycling Team pictures.
Old 07-21-22, 02:09 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I'll note that you didn't prohibit Polish Cycling Team pictures.
That has also been banned. So, don't post that picture, either.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-21-22, 02:14 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
That has also been banned. So, don't post that picture, either.
Is it Okay to just form a mental image?
Old 07-21-22, 02:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Is it Okay to just form a mental image?
If that helps your kit fit better, then go for it.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-21-22, 05:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Saying someone that is extremely thin has the arms of a twig is no more or less insulting than saying someone that is quite large in stature has the arms of a tree trunk. If you perceive one as an insult and the other a compliment without knowing context, then thats on you.
In other words, "If you took offense at what I wrote, that's your fault" -- ridiculous!

As one who has experienced a lifetime of taunts and insults over his physique, I have a pretty good memory of which words the taunters used.

Old 07-21-22, 05:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,652 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
OK- Im bout 5'11"/177#; ride a hybrid only on pavement.
Yea, different manufacturers fit different- I have one pair of shorts that fit good, even the waistline, but feels like a diaper.
Yup, if you are not used to wearing cycling shorts they will feel weird. They all pretty much feel that way when you are not used to them. The pad does fulfill a purpose so just keep that in mind when first putting them on. Some do feel more weird than others. I bought a pair of ASOS, and they feel super weird even now, so try some other brands and see. If they all feel like diapers, then it’s you. If not, its the short!

Old 07-21-22, 09:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
In other words, "If you took offense at what I wrote, that's your fault" -- ridiculous!

As one who has experienced a lifetime of taunts and insults over his physique, I have a pretty good memory of which words the taunters used.
One can only be offended if they choose to take offense. That's just a basic reality.
Now with that said, there are things that an overwhelming majority find offensive and societal behavior then changes.

^ this is all generalization. Nobody deserves to be directly bullied or taunted for theur physical size, be it large or small or short or tall.

Again though- there is a difference between insult and shaming.
Froome's arms really are sticks compared to average. Charles Barkley is the size of a bear compared to average.
^ that isn't skinny shaming and isn't fat shaming. It's describing the body shape of a couple people who use(d) their bodies to be elite in their respective sports.
Old 07-22-22, 08:41 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I don't have a "kit" but all the clothes I cycle in fit well enough.
Old 07-22-22, 09:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Funny, I've been riding my old custom racing jerseys where the pockets are down at my butt as was the style long ago.
Granted, I'm still skinny. I can still wear the custom1jersey cut to my racing weight.

Those jerseys are the old, no tricks, no moisture management, no lycra, spandex, etc. So the temperature range is narrow or you have to be tough....
Jones Cycle Wear. Lunenberg, MA. Provided the jerseys for NEBC BITD. Back in business with their daughter I believe.
I LOVED that stuff from Jones, also loved their shorts. Never had 'Bibs', because as I remember the straps came over the back to front and then buttoned to the waistline - at least the ones FUJI supplied us... I was in wonder when they gave us Jerseys with a Wool/Arcylic Blend - they were so 'LIGHT' and let go of sweat so quickly, they were actually COOL! LOL! Wool in a hot and humid summer was ... a challenge...
Ride On
Yuri - still have some of both Wool and Wool /Acrylic, and they seem to fit ok...