Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steepest hill that you frequent

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steepest hill that you frequent

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 01:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
From the same point in the road but looking both ways, here's a glimpse of the hill that hits 16 degrees. I can only imagine what 20+ degrees looks and feels like.
FYI, grades are expressed in percentage, not degrees. It's "rise over run". The amount of gain compared (roughly) to the distance traveled.

In other words, a 45 degree angle would be (roughly) a 100% grade.
Old 07-31-23, 01:28 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
FYI, grades are expressed in percentage, not degrees. It's "rise over run". The amount of gain compared (roughly) to the distance traveled.

In other words, a 45 degree angle would be (roughly) a 100% grade.
Important correction. Thank you!
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 07-31-23, 01:32 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by jfh
I live a little over a mile away from my parents, and there's a nasty 20% stretch when I ride over there. Fortunately it's pretty short but when I was in high school, I didn't have the strength and/or gearing to make it up without stopping to walk it. Some years after college when I moved back to the area and started riding again, I got a bike with a triple and was pretty pleased the first time I was able to make it up without stopping.

A couple of years ago I rented a bike while visiting Pittsburgh, and hit some of the Dirty Dozen hills, including Canton Ave (cobbled!). Definitely some seriously steep and nasty stuff around there; good times though.
Have you ridden up Canton Avenue? It's been called the steepest street in the country, although there is one in San Francisco and one in Hawaii that might have it beat. Top 3 for sure. I would love to try that. But not in clipless pedals. Would need to be ready to abort.

Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 07-31-23, 01:41 PM
CoogansBluff

Here's a video of cyclists going up Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh. Looks fun (if you can make it).

Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 07-31-23, 01:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
In L.A. there is Fargo street.

Likes For big john:
Old 07-31-23, 01:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
I think the perfect bike for the dirty dozen race would be a tandem. I would do it on mine, but then I would have to climb steep hills. Wouldn't be prudent.
Old 07-31-23, 02:19 PM
jfh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Have you ridden up Canton Avenue? It's been called the steepest street in the country, although there is one in San Francisco and one in Hawaii that might have it beat. Top 3 for sure. I would love to try that. But not in clipless pedals. Would need to be ready to abort.

Yes, on my 3rd try. The first time I took a bad line to the left, and ended up in some slick leaves; back wheel slipped so I aborted early. The second time I was maybe 2/3rds of the way up when I hit a cobble wrong and it threw me off balance; I managed to unclip in time (I was on SPDs). The 3rd time I got it right. The rental bike had 34-front/36-rear gearing; clearly they knew their clientele and terrain.

Canton is short, but the next one I did (Boustead) was a real lung buster as it was quite a bit longer. When I was approaching the steep part a young local kid (clearly having witnessed a lot of attempts) yelled out "You're not going to make it!" I took some pride in getting up without stopping, although I was definitely gasping for air at the top.

Last edited by jfh; 07-31-23 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For jfh:
Old 07-31-23, 02:22 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by jfh
Yes, on my 3rd try. The first time I took a bad line to the left, and ended up in some slick leaves, back wheel slipped so I aborted early. The second time I was maybe 2/3rds of the way up when I hit a cobble wrong and it threw me off balance; I managed to unclip in time (I was on SPDs). The 3rd time I got it right. The rental bike had 34-front/36-rear gearing; clearly they knew their clientele and terrain.

Canton is short, but the next one I did (Boustead) was a real lung buster as it was quite a bit longer. When I was approaching the steep part a young local kid (clearly having witnessed a lot of attempts) yelled out "You're not going to make it!" I took some pride in getting up without stopping, although I was definitely gasping for air at the top.
That's good stuff, thanks! That would make for a fun hobby, to seek out the toughest climbs in the country and give them a try.
Old 07-31-23, 02:28 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
That's good stuff, thanks! That would make for a fun hobby, to seek out the toughest climbs in the country and give them a try.
interestingly there’s always a fair amount of debate about this, with some lists including things that aren’t really “streets” proper, and grade measurements depending on how long a distance once measures, and whether they’re measured along the fall line or crown or whatever.

i believe canton in pittsburgh is 37%.

Old 07-31-23, 02:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
It's "flat" around my house. But there is no way to get in or out of my neighborhood without a 10-15% short grade, one hits 18% for a short section...

The dead flat canal MUP I ride has 3 short 8-10% climbs in each direction - these little blips catch the Sunday riders off guard!!...

These small hills are not good for working on a climbing rhythm or steady pace, and often hit you pretty hard if you are hammering on the flats. I use them to do full gas sprints once a week or so...
18%!!!!!!! Yikes

Old 07-31-23, 03:41 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'd try the dirty dozen in sneakers or trail runners. Carbon soles is suicide, how you do walk down Pave with leaves. I know I'd walk on some of them.

24/34 gearing on a bike with super long chain stays and large tires at low pressure and wide handlebars.
Old 07-31-23, 03:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
There's a section on our road that exceeds all of those, but it's really short so I just bunny hop over it.
Originally Posted by mschwett
interestingly there’s always a fair amount of debate about this, with some lists including things that aren’t really “streets” proper, and grade measurements depending on how long a distance once measures, and whether they’re measured along the fall line or crown or whatever.

i believe canton in pittsburgh is 37%.

Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-01-23, 11:28 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
here are some 20% grade roads. even on my mid drive ebike this is hard.the path one was so short and steep and mossy we walked down since it had that 90 degree turn right at the bottom.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-01-23, 12:09 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Florida is pretty flat, but can have some hills where I ride around the Ocala Nat Forest. One part of SR 19 you are either going up or going down. There is one area where the Juniper Wayside Park sits in essentially a bowl. Either side is fairly steep. To the north of where I live is the unpaved roads in the forest. There's one hill that always gets me. I call it "hell hill". It's bad cause it has many pot holes, cracks, and large stones. Makes getting momentum hard. Here is a view looking down from the top.
Old 08-01-23, 12:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
have not done Canton - but have done a few of the Dirty Dozen climbs including Sycamore and Logan ... did those climbs on road bikes - 38/28 and 39/27 gearing

we did frequent rides down into Sewickley PA *** (near the Ohio River) - with a few options to return including the Redgate climb which I believe is around 2 miles in length (? can’t recall) ... one part (1/2 mile to 1 mile ?) might be around a 10% grade and another part (1/2 mile to 1 mile ?) might be around a 12% grade

*** SweetWater Bike shop is located in Ambridge PA - near Sewickley ... great bike shop

Last edited by t2p; 08-01-23 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-01-23, 12:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There's a section on our road that exceeds all of those, but it's really short so I just bunny hop over it.
Old 08-01-23, 12:41 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'd try the dirty dozen in sneakers or trail runners. Carbon soles is suicide, how you do walk down Pave with leaves. I know I'd walk on some of them.

24/34 gearing on a bike with super long chain stays and large tires at low pressure and wide handlebars.
the problem with that might be the flexibility of the soles

just gotta hope the small rubber attachments/ thingies on the carbon soles stop you from
skiing down the hill lol