Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Tiagra front derailleur to GRX ?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 07:18 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Posting this here because it's a gravel-specific question: Has anyone tried upgrading a Tiagra 4700 front derailleur (braze-on) for a GRX 400 version? The Tiagra 4700 FD has a long lever arm which just barely clears a 38mm width tire on my Specialized Diverge.

The most obvious compatibility issue is that the chain line for the GRX FD is 46mm whereas Tiagra is only 43.5mm. I'm not sure if I can overcome that difference using the Hi/Low screws. Also the Tiagra FD has a long lever arm absent on the GRX (for greater tire clearance) so I'm wondering if the two brifters have different leverage. I'd like to upgrade both front and rear Tiagra derailleurs to GRX and thus gain a clutch mechanism in back and more tire-clearance up front. Does anyone know if the front derailleur swap is possible?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...FD-4700-F.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FD-RX400.html
Old 06-03-21, 09:16 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...-question.html
might answer some of your question
Old 06-03-21, 01:01 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Thanks for the link! Perhaps no one here has made this front derailleur change - maybe because it's too problematic. I'm still looking for a definitive answer. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-21, 09:08 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
According to Shimano's compatibility chart, your 4700 shifters will work with the GRX-400 front derailleur:

I think the bigger issue is going to be the chainline difference that you already mentioned. If I was going to a GRX front derailleur, then I would also change my crankset to GRX.
Old 06-07-21, 11:17 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Save Up to 60% Off Disc Brake CycloCross Cross CX Bikes - Gravity Zilla ELITE Carbon Shimano GRX400 Powerful HYDRAULIC Disc Brake CycloCross Cross CX Bikes

This particular bike is running GRX 400 front and rear derailleurs, a GRX 600 10 speed crankset, with Tiagra 4700 brakes/shifters. A good option if you want to run mechanical brakes as opposed to GRX hydraulic brakes for ease of maintenance.