Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DT hub end cap swap woes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

DT hub end cap swap woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 10:25 PM
zachv81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
DT hub end cap swap woes

I have set of spline CR1600 wheels that came with XD freehub. I changed the freehub to a Shimano road, and then the end caps to 11 speed road for 142 x 12 thru axel. The wheel now fits in the dropout loose, and only measures 138mm. I’ve done everything per DT so far on this. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-19, 05:48 AM
zachv81

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On another note I was fitting a front wheel to a new Salsa Warbird fork, and it appears the slot in the fork that accepts the end caps of the hub is too narrow. The wheel will only go in the fork, but not go all the way in to get the thru axle inserted. The wheels I am using are DT Spline 1600. I also tried this with an alternate wheel set with DT 240 hubs and got the same exact result. Any suggestions with this one?
Old 11-27-19, 11:10 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by zachv81
On another note I was fitting a front wheel to a new Salsa Warbird fork, and it appears the slot in the fork that accepts the end caps of the hub is too narrow. The wheel will only go in the fork, but not go all the way in to get the thru axle inserted. The wheels I am using are DT Spline 1600. I also tried this with an alternate wheel set with DT 240 hubs and got the same exact result. Any suggestions with this one?
Could it be the Salsa fork is made for 12mm TA rather than a 15mm TA
Old 11-27-19, 11:32 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Did the 11 speed road end caps come with your wheelset or did you purchase them separately? If buying separately, you have to be sure to get the correct 11 speed caps depending on if your hub uses straight-pull or j-bend spokes.

The new Warbird forks are 12mm as wsteve464 suggested.
Old 11-30-19, 06:40 AM
zachv81

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks all for your comments.

For the rear, I had new road 11 speed end caps, and worked through DT. They had some QC issuers where an out of spec end cap slipped through. They are sending the new end cap and this should fit fine.

For the front I did have a 15 x 100 end caps and was trying to fit this in my 12 x 100 frame. New proper end caps and it fits great.
However My wheel measures exactly 100mm, but the dropouts in my frame measure 101.56mm. Is that extra slop acceptable? Doesn’t that compress in the fork legs slightly when the axle is tightened?