Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using R770 Ultegra disc thru axle with Shimano e-thru axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 12:48 AM
anern
Random Roller

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Using R770 Ultegra disc thru axle without shimano e-thru axle
Hi, I recently got a pair of these and they say they need a shimano e-thru axle. Anyway I went ahead and fitted them with the screw in axle that came with the frame but was aware of the load being applied to the bearings and torqued the bolt up gradually. When I hit about 6Nm, the wheel starting spinning less freely. Is it OK to use a screw in thru axle with these hubs and what sort of torque should I be using ? If it's very low (Less than 6Nm seems low to me for this application), wont there be movement in the drops ? I noticed that there was a tiny amount of play between the thru axle and both the new hub and the hub that it replaced. I've seen other posts about thru axle wear, at what point does this become unacceptable ? It almost seems like the ends of the hub and the dropouts are doing the actual work with the axle just acting as a locator.... Just like old QR hubs used to.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by anern; 04-28-21 at 12:50 AM. Reason: no e thru axle
Old 04-28-21, 09:18 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Shimano's site makes it sound like you have to have an E-Thru Axle frame for their hubs, but I can't imagine that would be the case since I believe most frames don't use that standard. I could definitely be wrong, but I can see why you are asking this.

6 nm seems low to me too as my DT Swiss thru-axles state they should be tightened to 15 nm. It almost sounds like maybe the bearing preload needs to be adjusted if the wheel is slowing down as you tighten the axle. They should be adjustable since they use cup and cone bearings.
Old 04-28-21, 12:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
This hub seems pretty clearly for e-thru, so I don't understand why any one would ever try something else? Chance of it working well, and being reliable are very low. And there is good chance of screwing up a not inexpensive hub/wheelset

if it is this one https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FH-RS770.html
there are multiple references to e-thruSHIMANO - Rear FREEHUB - CENTER LOCK - Disc Brake - 142x12 mm E-THRU Axle - 10/11-speed

For E-THRU disc brake compatible bicycles, the RS770 FREEHUB blends good looks and high quality performance.
spec is 12mm E-THRU

Old 04-29-21, 08:54 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Damn, the spec sheets on all of Shimano's road and adventure thru-axle disc hubs list the axle fitting method as E-Thru. So you are saying unless you have a bike frame that specifically uses E-Thru, stay away from Shimano? I can't believe they would limit their hubs like that, but I agree, the literature all states E-Thru.

GRX Wheelset
R7000 105 Hub
Road Series