Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The cog-hub interface solution

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 11:09 AM
blickblocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, bolt on and LeveL style interfaces have not caught on mainstream for a couple reasons...LeveL's is proprietary and bolt on is mostly a homebrew workaround (and a great one at that).

What could catch on quickly if a particular company decided to push it?

Well, Shimano is doing fairly well popularizing the already standard cassette spline cog for singlespeed use in BMX!

All we really need is someone to cut splines into a normal track hub. This shouldn't cost anyone making hubs more than the threading they do right now.

This is so stupid-obvious, why isn't this the standard?
Old 11-30-07, 11:14 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
tradition

...or if you want something different use a Miche carrier
Old 11-30-07, 11:16 AM
Aldone
Fissato Italiano

Bikes: Fixed Gear & Single Speed Only

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because threathed track hub standard is way older than splined cassette
Old 11-30-07, 11:21 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Actually, I think it would be harder to cut splines into a hub than threads. Cutting threads on the end of a hub is a simple machine operation. Cutting splines with a square bottom (the flat part which would be closest to the flange), not so easy. It would probably have to be a piece manufactured separate from the hub and attached, or the hub could be directly splined but without flanges which would then have to be pressed on or otherwise attached. More steps/pieces, higher cost; higher cost, less buyers...
Old 11-30-07, 11:21 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
because play develops. it develops with cassettes too but it's not a huge problem because the force is only one way.

besides, standards don't just happen. companies like level want people to buy their ****, so they make proprietary threadings and bolt patterns. track cogs have had the same threaded interface for many decades, even though better solutions have existed for several years at least.

if a new standard does happen, i'd hope that it'd be bolt on, which is by far the most durable and serviceable. in order for that to happen a big company like shimano or profile will have to start manufacturing cogs and hubs that have a good chainline (bonus if it can be easily respaced for conversion to disc brake use).
Old 11-30-07, 11:33 AM
Yoshi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miche already makes splined track cogs and this adapter thing that threads onto a track hub so you can use the cogs with any hub. The lockring holds the cog in place. It seems like a pretty good system, at least for track racing (street riding could conceivably put too much stress on the splines and create "play").
Old 11-30-07, 11:36 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I think shimano has the splines patented and most wheel makers pay a royalty. Don't quote me on that.

I think this what miche was going for with their system.
Old 11-30-07, 11:54 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I think shimano has the splines patented and most wheel makers pay a royalty. Don't quote me on that.

I think this what miche was going for with their system.
I am not sure, but I think you are wrong about the splined interface for cassettes being proprietary. There are so many cassette makers, that I really doubt it.

And if you are right, it still makes little difference, because so many manufacturers have the right to use it (payed the royalty already), that there should not be problems in manufacturing a fixed hub with such interface.

As for developing of play: I use singlespeed conversion on all but one of my singlespeeds. So, I use one of those splined BMX sprockets on a normal (freehub) hub, and no play ever develops. Maybe all my hubs have a steel body.
Old 11-30-07, 12:06 PM
StabsAll
Thirsty

Bikes: One bike one gear fixed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Actually, I think it would be harder to cut splines into a hub than threads. Cutting threads on the end of a hub is a simple machine operation. Cutting splines with a square bottom (the flat part which would be closest to the flange), not so easy. It would probably have to be a piece manufactured separate from the hub and attached, or the hub could be directly splined but without flanges which would then have to be pressed on or otherwise attached. More steps/pieces, higher cost; higher cost, less buyers...
It's all done on CNC lathe. Threading/cut outs/whatever. CNC's are super fast and cost affective (with the exception of how expensive the machines are) The cycle time per part would actually be slightly faster to notch the splines than to cut the threads.

And yes...I am a machinist.
Old 11-30-07, 12:55 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... because splines suck for fixed. Play and stripping are not the buzzwords we are looking for.
Old 11-30-07, 01:33 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Miche already makes splined track cogs and this adapter thing that threads onto a track hub so you can use the cogs with any hub. The lockring holds the cog in place. It seems like a pretty good system, at least for track racing (street riding could conceivably put too much stress on the splines and create "play").
I think you missed the point. We need to get rid of threading as load bearing interface. The Miche system still uses a threaded interface for the carrier on the hub.

Originally Posted by LóFarkas
... because splines suck for fixed. Play and stripping are not the buzzwords we are looking for.
Splining in this way is far, far superior than the threading we have now. Of course it's not perfect, but it's so good that it should negate the need for anything better. You're not going to strip a cassette-splined cog. BMX cogs are wider than 10 speed cassette cogs, and take as much a beating as a fixed gear rider would give.

The main thing is that this is doable now, so manufacturers should take advantage.
Old 11-30-07, 02:55 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
I am not sure, but I think you are wrong about the splined interface for cassettes being proprietary. There are so many cassette makers, that I really doubt it.

And if you are right, it still makes little difference, because so many manufacturers have the right to use it (payed the royalty already), that there should not be problems in manufacturing a fixed hub with such interface.

As for developing of play: I use singlespeed conversion on all but one of my singlespeeds. So, I use one of those splined BMX sprockets on a normal (freehub) hub, and no play ever develops. Maybe all my hubs have a steel body.
The splined interface for casettes is proprietary. That's why Campagnolo cassettes won't fit on a Shimano freehub and vice versa. Hub manufacturers build their hubs to either the shimano interface or the campy interface.
Old 11-30-07, 02:58 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
I think you missed the point. We need to get rid of threading as load bearing interface. The Miche system still uses a threaded interface for the carrier on the hub.
Why do we need to get rid of the threading? How is it any better/worse? And don't you see that the Miche system only uses a threaded carrier because hubs are manufactured with threading? The carrier could just as easily be machined into the hub.
Old 11-30-07, 03:06 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do we need to get rid of the threading? How is it any better/worse? And don't you see that the Miche system only uses a threaded carrier because hubs are manufactured with threading? The carrier could just as easily be machined into the hub.
My only point in making this thread was to point out that manufacturers only need to put Shimano splines on their hubs in order to dramatically improve the performance and lifetime of the product. Miche cogs aren't as ubiquitous as Shimano, which is why I didn't base the thread on them.
Old 11-30-07, 03:15 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only point in making this thread was to point out that manufacturers only need to put Shimano splines on their hubs in order to dramatically improve the performance and lifetime of the product. Miche cogs aren't as ubiquitous as Shimano, which is why I didn't base the thread on them.
Gotcha.
Old 11-30-07, 03:39 PM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Volpe, '09 Mercier Kilo TT, '08 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do we need to get rid of the threading?
Because some of us are so fat/strong that we can't get our cogs off after riding for a few months. I broke my chainwhip (Park, not some cheapie) and the owner of my LBS bent the handle of his trying to get a cog off one of my wheels. I tried rotafixa, too, but it felt like spokes would start breaking before the cog came loose (not that they would, just that that's what it felt like), so I gave up. And, before you say anything, I greased the **** out of the threads before I installed it.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 11-30-07, 03:50 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by In Absentia
Because some of us are so fat/strong that we can't get our cogs off after riding for a few months. I broke my chainwhip (Park, not some cheapie) and the owner of my LBS bent the handle of his trying to get a cog off one of my wheels. I tried rotafixa, too, but it felt like spokes would start breaking before the cog came loose (not that they would, just that that's what it felt like), so I gave up. And, before you say anything, I greased the **** out of the threads before I installed it.
Basically when that kind of stuff happens the threads have mated in a way that you might actually strip it just from removing it. Best to choose a good cog and number of teeth from the beginning and never take it off.

Something I learned only recently...wish I could have started fixed knowing this. I had a 14t stamped cog that partially stripped my hub. I now run a Surly 15t, but I really should have started with a good 17t and a 52t ring.

I'm shopping for a good 40-42t 1/8" 130bcd ring right now because the gearing is too high for windy winter.
Old 11-30-07, 03:53 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

...which is a really smart thing, because it means that you can use their special, easy-to-use system on every other hub that ever existed anywhere*.

even when shimano made Dura-Ace 10 pitch, they made two sets of cogs - ones that screw onto DA 10P hubs, and ones that screw onto normal hubs. Why? because it's extremely risky to deviate from market standards and make a product that's not compatible with the rest of the gear that exists. there's talk of "solutions without problems," and unlike some other developments, this is one of them.

*hyperbole.
Old 11-30-07, 04:18 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
...which is a really smart thing, because it means that you can use their special, easy-to-use system on every other hub that ever existed anywhere*.

even when shimano made Dura-Ace 10 pitch, they made two sets of cogs - ones that screw onto DA 10P hubs, and ones that screw onto normal hubs. Why? because it's extremely risky to deviate from market standards and make a product that's not compatible with the rest of the gear that exists. there's talk of "solutions without problems," and unlike some other developments, this is one of them.

*hyperbole.
1) The Miche system still relies on a threaded interface. You can more easily change cog size, but the threat of stripping the hub is still there, especially if you decide to replace the carrier with a normal cog in the future.

2) Shimano already has a market standard with both their splined interface and the accompanying BMX cogs. It's a logical progression using off the shelf parts.

3) Solution without a problem? I think more people will disagree than agree with you there. As fixed gear road cycling and commuting becomes more and more popular, there are going to be more and more novices with stripped hubs and a reason to buy something better.
Old 11-30-07, 05:20 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) The Miche system still relies on a threaded interface. You can more easily change cog size, but the threat of stripping the hub is still there, especially if you decide to replace the carrier with a normal cog in the future.

2) Shimano already has a market standard with both their splined interface and the accompanying BMX cogs. It's a logical progression using off the shelf parts.

3) Solution without a problem? I think more people will disagree than agree with you there. As fixed gear road cycling and commuting becomes more and more popular, there are going to be more and more novices with stripped hubs and a reason to buy something better.
Again, to reiterate my (and mattio's) point - Miche already has a market standard with their splined track cogs. It's a logical progression using off the shelf parts.

Miche and Shimano are basically in the same boat. However Miche already makes an adapter that will allow you to use splined cogs on any hub.

EDIT: If you want to say Shimano is a more popular company then yes, I agree with you. But my point is that the Miche system already exists, is compatible with any hub, and could do exactly what you propose assuming hub manufacturers choose to do so.

Last edited by Yoshi; 11-30-07 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 05:23 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

The splined interface for casettes is proprietary. That's why Campagnolo cassettes won't fit on a Shimano freehub and vice versa. Hub manufacturers build their hubs to either the shimano interface or the campy interface.
You got that upside down: Campagnolo cassettes ARE proprietari!
Old 11-30-07, 05:29 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
You got that upside down: Campagnolo cassettes ARE proprietari!
No, both are proprietary.
Old 12-01-07, 12:49 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standard splines just would not be fun for fixed because the back-and-forth motion tears stuff apart. i'm pretty sure it would strip (well, at leas develop lotsa play anyway) a lot easier than threads. It works for BMX as the drive force in only in one direction.
If you're going to deviate from the standard threaded solution, go bolt-on.
Old 12-01-07, 01:06 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

No, both are proprietary.
That may be, but the Shimano splines are a de-facto standard. I can buy Shimano-splined cassettes from many different sellers/makers, from super-expensive ones, to super-cheap ones. For me the indicator of standardness is if I can find a supplier that makes a very cheap version of product X. And for Shimano splined cassettes and BMX sprockets (the ones I use on my SS) I can find very cheap ones.
Old 12-01-07, 03:58 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found out last night that Shimano's freehub bodies are actually steel, but in 2004 they started producing aluminum bodies with a new higher profile spline. The new cassettes are backwards compatable. Supposedly this is going to be their new standard? *shrug*

This sucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.