Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 7.4 vs 7.5

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX 7.4 vs 7.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 06:10 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek FX 7.4 vs 7.5

Long time lurker here. I've started commuting to work last year, about once a week and 9 miles each way, on my old Wal Mart mountain bike.

That bike takes a lot of effort to ride 9 miles each way! It has heavy tires and a lot of drag on that cheap drivetrain. I'm looking for something that requires much less effort to ride for my distance. My commute is pretty much a straight shot down sidewalks.

My plan was to buy the Trek 7.4 FX this spring (the ligher non-disc model) and try to ride in twice a week. However, the 7.5 is not too far off on price.

Can I expect a tangible change in effort if I spend the money on a 7.5 vs a 7.4? What about durability (the 7.5 wheels look more fragile to me)?
Old 03-24-15, 06:25 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Not a whole lot of difference. The 7.4 has mountain shifters and derailleurs, 9 speed shifters, and a triple chainring. The 7.5 has road shifters and derailleurs, 10 speed shifters, and a double chainring. As to your question about a tangible change in effort, the answer is no. If you consult a gear inch calculator, you will see the 7.5 has a low gear of 26.8 gear inches and a high gear of 116 gear inches. The 7.4 has a low gear of 21.9 and a high gear of 117. What that means is on (really) steep hills, the 7.4 has a lower gear. This may or may make a difference to you. In practice, the 26.8 gear inches on the 7.5 is plenty low for most riders.
Old 03-24-15, 06:30 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
The 7.4 has a triple crank with a 9 speed cassette while the 7.5 has a "very" compact crank with a 10 speed.

The components on the 7.5 are a better quality.

Since the FX is not intended for any off pavement riding, i'm not sure if you would ever use the smallest chain ring on the 7.4.
Old 03-24-15, 06:33 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
The 7.4 has a triple crank with a 9 speed cassette while the 7.5 has a "very" compact crank with a 10 speed.

The components on the 7.5 are a better quality.

Since the FX is not intended for any off pavement riding, i'm not sure if you would ever use the smallest chain ring on the 7.4.
Very steep hills, but I get the point.
Old 03-24-15, 06:42 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That 7.5 wheel has fewer spokes. Will it hold up as well as the 7.4 wheel? I'm talking about a commute down sidewalks with the occasional bump to hop a curb here and there.
Old 03-24-15, 06:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by MRT2
Very steep hills, but I get the point.
The 7.5 has a 34 small chain ring and a 34 large cog. I don't know many roads that are too steep for that.

My road bike has a 34 small chain ring and a 28 large cog and i'l able to get up app but the steepest hills.
Old 03-24-15, 07:14 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
why are you riding on sidewalks?
Either will do what you want to do and do it well....My wife tried them both and liked the 7.5 better... it is her favorite all around bike...when we ride the mut along the bayous or ride in bad/wet weather it is the bike she takes.
Old 03-24-15, 07:19 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by highrpm
That 7.5 wheel has fewer spokes. Will it hold up as well as the 7.4 wheel? I'm talking about a commute down sidewalks with the occasional bump to hop a curb here and there.
Buy the bike that speaks to you. Truth is, both bikes can be set up as commuters and should be more than acceptable. FWIW, the weak point of bikes in the $700 to $1,000 price point is frequently the stock wheels. If you find yourself doing a lot of commuting over rough or broken pavement you will probably be replacing the stock wheels and probably tires eventually anyway.
Old 03-24-15, 07:21 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
The 7.5 has a 34 small chain ring and a 34 large cog. I don't know many roads that are too steep for that.

My road bike has a 34 small chain ring and a 28 large cog and i'l able to get up app but the steepest hills.
Depends on where you live. A (compact) compact double like the 7.5 would be fine in my neck of the woods as well. But there is nothing about the build of the 7.5 that is a huge upgrade over the 7.4. It is a slight upgrade.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-24-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 07:32 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The 7.4 disc would be my choice for the urban streets of Detroit. Wider tires, more robust rolling gear, and still good componentry, and more gear choices for the varying speed choices you will be stuck with. More than the 7.4, but still way less than a 7.5. When you wear out those tires, I'd even consider going slightly wider for more comfort and capacity. Wider is better on bad surfaces.

Changing from a box store mountain bike, the change will be amazing. I think that the 7.4 is the sweetest spot in the Trek lineup in value for your dollar. The extra money will go toward things like rack, panniers, lights, bell, bar ends, etc.

MHO
Old 03-24-15, 07:51 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what I've read on these forums regarding the 7.4 Disc, you add weight and lose the carbon front fork which gives a better ride. That's why I was leaning toward no disc.
Old 03-24-15, 08:17 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

You are right, and a carbon fork is a major improvement. Have you considered Sirrus? Some of the Sirrus have carbon forks, with discs. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...rus-elite-disc
Old 03-24-15, 08:27 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you are riding on sidewalks, save your money and get something like the 7.2 Since you should never ride more than 10 mph on a sidewalk, the lowest level bike shop bike is up to that task, and would be plenty efficient.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-24-15, 08:37 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
You are right, and a carbon fork is a major improvement. Have you considered Sirrus? Some of the Sirrus have carbon forks, with discs. Specialized Bicycle Components
Personally I wouldn't spend 1000$ on a flat-bar road bike just to use it for sidewalk commuting. I agree with Little Darwin, there's no reason to spend that much if that's the type of riding you'll be doing.

Any bike from a name brand manufacturer like Specialized, Trek, or Giant is going to be a good bike. Their lowest-end bike is still going to be far and above a department store bike. The only reason to spend more is if you're really going to put the bike through its paces and use it as it was designed. In my opinion.
Old 03-24-15, 08:44 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

And, as said before, you really ought to get OFF the sidewalk. Sidewalks are dangerous, and harsh.
Old 03-24-15, 08:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
Personally I wouldn't spend 1000$ on a flat-bar road bike just to use it for sidewalk commuting. I agree with Little Darwin, there's no reason to spend that much if that's the type of riding you'll be doing.

Any bike from a name brand manufacturer like Specialized, Trek, or Giant is going to be a good bike. Their lowest-end bike is still going to be far and above a department store bike. The only reason to spend more is if you're really going to put the bike through its paces and use it as it was designed. In my opinion.
OP, when you say "sidewalks" do you mean what most of us usually mean by 'sidewalk' -- i.e. dedicated surface running beside a road for pedestrian use -- or do you mean some kind of 'bike lane' running alongside a pedestrian sidewalk -- the ones that spill you into intersection after intersection? I ask because in my city we have some of these (the latter) stupid things.

Anyway, if you mean the former, then definitely +1 the above ^^^^. I'll refrain from commenting further on the question of using sidewalks of either kind to cycle. If you mean the latter, somewhat different story, but still no real point to purchasing something like a 7.4/5FX.
Old 03-24-15, 08:53 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting responses. Thanks.

The LBS near me is having a sale sometime in early April. I'll head there beforehand and check out the 7.4 and 7.5 bikes again.

My friend uses a Trek 7.3 for the similar commuting. I was originally thinking about getting that bike, but then I noticed that a 7.4 is just a little more money.

Well a 7.5 is a little more money than that. Next thing you know, I wound up looking at $1,000 bikes that I would be commuting on.

After reading your comments, I'm thinking that a 7.4 is the most bike I should be aiming for. Possibly even a 7.3 or 7.2

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-15, 09:09 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes riding on a sidewalk is a necessary evil. People where I live who "claim their lane" are getting hit almost every day.
Old 03-24-15, 09:44 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

[QUOTE=highrpm;17657163My friend uses a Trek 7.3 for the similar commuting. I was originally thinking about getting that bike, but then I noticed that a 7.4 is just a little more money.

Well a 7.5 is a little more money than that. Next thing you know, I wound up looking at $1,000 bikes that I would be commuting on. [/QUOTE]

Its a vicious cycle
Old 03-24-15, 10:08 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
Sometimes riding on a sidewalk is a necessary evil. People where I live who "claim their lane" are getting hit almost every day.
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal here, so I avoid it.
Old 03-24-15, 10:10 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 618 Posts
The implicit question raised by the OP's thread-starter is whether a bike like the 7.4/5 is even necessary given the stated riding style. I think (just my view, fwiw) that extended comment on/debate about 'riding on sidewalks' belongs in either Commuting or A & S.
Old 03-24-15, 10:15 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting responses. Thanks.

I was originally thinking about getting that bike, but then I noticed that a 7.4 is just a little more money.

Well a 7.5 is a little more money than that. Next thing you know, I wound up looking at $1,000 bikes that I would be commuting on.
I was tempted to buy a 7.4 this year but in Trek's 2015 FX US line up you run into some awful colors for a bike once you pass the 7.3 model. Maybe they look a lot better in person. If not, there will be a lot of 2015 7.4 and 7.5 for sale a at discounted prices after the 2016's come out.

Last edited by swoodjr1; 03-24-15 at 10:16 AM. Reason: forgot a part
Old 03-24-15, 01:27 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just to add to the lack of need to move up the food chain for the OP.

1) As stated, sidewalk riding should be done slowly (if at all) so the lowest level bike shop bike is up to that task.

2) A higher cost bicycle is more prone to theft, therefore maybe not a good choice for commuting.

3) You will eventually do damage to any bike if you are regularly curb hopping, most likely the wheels... Any money saved on the purchase could go toward repair or replacement when needed.

4) The lower end FX bikes tend to have wider tires, which would be beneficial for sidewalk riding.

5) Lower end FX bikes have heavier wheels, which could prove to be more immune to abuse.

These comments assume that you are always (or almost always) just commuting... If you like to do 30-40 mile rides on the weekend just for fun, then your investment in a higher end bike could be a greater advantage.

But, I will soften my comment a bit (and ignore the curb hopping and potential damage) and say that you should test ride several levels of bike, and buy the one that is:

1) In your price range

2) The lowest level bike that feels right to you.

Some people can feel the difference between 2 different forks (alloy/steel/carbon), and others can't.

Also, even though I avoid shocks, I would suggest checking out the DS line while you are at it, since with curb hopping you may find the front shock will help to reduce the jarring impact you could feel with a rigid fork. I didn't notice any negatives when I moved from suspended fork to rigid, but I don't ride over curbs.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-24-15, 06:16 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Long time lurker here. I've started commuting to work last year, about once a week and 9 miles each way, on my old Wal Mart mountain bike.

That bike takes a lot of effort to ride 9 miles each way! It has heavy tires and a lot of drag on that cheap drivetrain. I'm looking for something that requires much less effort to ride for my distance. My commute is pretty much a straight shot down sidewalks.

My plan was to buy the Trek 7.4 FX this spring (the ligher non-disc model) and try to ride in twice a week. However, the 7.5 is not too far off on price.

Can I expect a tangible change in effort if I spend the money on a 7.5 vs a 7.4? What about durability (the 7.5 wheels look more fragile to me)?
Just picked up a '14 7.4 FX and LOVE IT!! As Prince said "And the ride, I say the ride is so smooth". What a difference!! If you want thinner tires, get the tires swapped out when you purchase the bike . The LBS should pro-rate the difference between the stock tire and upgraded tires. I have seen it elsewhere in this forum where someone mentioned that the 7.4 is the sweet spot in the FX line. That is an accurate statement. You are getting a lot of bike in the 7.4!
Old 03-24-15, 06:18 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I was tempted to buy a 7.4 this year but in Trek's 2015 FX US line up you run into some awful colors for a bike once you pass the 7.3 model. Maybe they look a lot better in person. If not, there will be a lot of 2015 7.4 and 7.5 for sale a at discounted prices after the 2016's come out.
Yes the Sepia is awful!! There should be plenty of 2014 models left out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.