Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Stem for Cannondale SuperSix - Help a new rider

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 09:32 PM
bahamut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After multiple fittings it appears I need shorter stem (85mm/90mm) for my SuperSix w/ Rival components. I know absolutely nothing here so I'm turning to the same place that helped me decide on my bike.

I'm looking for bang for my buck. I'm a relatively casual rider and mainly focused on comfort over longish rides. Beyond that, I'm seeking some advice. Carbon Fiber (like the rest of the bike) or Aluminum? Is there a brand that I should look at? I'd simply like to end up with something worthy of being on the bike without spending too much.

As always,
Thanks!
Old 04-23-12, 09:35 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the bike too big? what are your measurements and what size is the bike.

go aluminum. Zipp service course sl for me! light and sturdy and not super bulky looking.
Old 04-23-12, 09:38 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
is the bike too big? what are your measurements and what size is the bike.

go aluminum. Zipp service course sl for me! light and sturdy and not super bulky looking.
i agree with aluminum. post a pic of the bike and one of you on it.

tons of good stems out there, just stay away from Oval.
Old 04-23-12, 10:02 PM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deda Zero One

AL but lightweight @ 133g (weighs lesser than most carbon stems there). Great reviews everywhere too.
Old 04-23-12, 10:16 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bahamut
After multiple fittings it appears I need shorter stem (85mm/90mm) for my SuperSix w/ Rival components. I know absolutely nothing here so I'm turning to the same place that helped me decide on my bike.

I'm looking for bang for my buck. I'm a relatively casual rider and mainly focused on comfort over longish rides. Beyond that, I'm seeking some advice. Carbon Fiber (like the rest of the bike) or Aluminum? Is there a brand that I should look at? I'd simply like to end up with something worthy of being on the bike without spending too much.

As always,
Thanks!
No offense, but I think they've already started you off on the wrong path. This may not be the bike that they should have set you up with if you are looking for comfort. The SuperSix geometry is for a racing bike (long top tube and a short head tube, for a start). You'll probably be able to find a combination of different components (steeper rise stem, zero offset seat post, etc) to make it comfortable, but they probably should have started you off with a Synapse.

Look at it this way though...at the very least, you'll be able to grow into this bike as a rider.
Old 04-23-12, 10:26 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been happy with Easton EA90 stems and Performance was selling them for $30 (down from $90 something).
Old 04-23-12, 10:30 PM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What color scheme is the Super Six? Any quality aluminum stem would do, but I'm a sucker for a matching cockpit.
Old 04-23-12, 10:34 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go aluminum.

Do you need a certain angle?

I'd suggest Pro PLT, $50-60, 130 grams in 100mm, stainless bolts and stiff.

The Deda suggested by someone is a decent option, though its about the same price as the Pro PLT, and I think the Pro is nicer(lighter, stainless bolts).

The Easton is decent for the money if you get it from Performance. At retail though, forget about it.

I think there is a tendency for riders to think that pushing the seat up and pulling the bars back will increase comfort. In my experience this is not always the case. A proper amount of weight on your ass through proper setback is the best place to start. You didn't ask for my two cents, but I couldn't help myself.
Old 04-24-12, 05:04 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbnomore
No offense, but I think they've already started you off on the wrong path. This may not be the bike that they should have set you up with if you are looking for comfort. The SuperSix geometry is for a racing bike (long top tube and a short head tube, for a start). You'll probably be able to find a combination of different components (steeper rise stem, zero offset seat post, etc) to make it comfortable, but they probably should have started you off with a Synapse.

Look at it this way though...at the very least, you'll be able to grow into this bike as a rider.
Pretty common theme isn't it? Newb 'after several fittingS' ends up on a Supersix with a short stem. A shame.
OP...you don't know until you know so you aren't to blame..the shop where you bought is...one .really has to own a 1-3 bikes to dial in fit...but you would be...as I would say most road bikers including me...better off with a taller head tube bike if you want to do longer rides, don't race and prize comfort over speed. The Supersix is a race bike. The average guy will be faster on an upright bike anyway because flexibility better matches riding position.
You can go with a short riser stem...lots to choose from. Ebay.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-24-12 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-24-12, 05:12 AM
cks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense, but I think they've already started you off on the wrong path. This may not be the bike that they should have set you up with if you are looking for comfort...
+1.

If I can help the OP think outside the box a little bit. It may not be the bike but the rider. If you're new to road cycling, especially if you're coming from mtn or hybrid bikes, your body may just need to adjust to the road geometry- you may want to give it about 500 miles or so and see how you feel. I'm not sure what the fitting problem is here, but your body may just need to adjust to a more stretched out aero position that a road bike demands. Your muscles will also adjust. You have a bike that others drool over, so you may want to try to ride it as intended.

On the other hand, if you want to experience a more "relaxed" geometry, try taking your existing stem and flipping it to bring the bar up higher and closer to your hands- it'll sit you more upright. You may want to try this before spending more $$ on a new stem.
Old 04-24-12, 05:22 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i wanna see a photo.

this thread smells fishy.
Old 04-24-12, 05:52 AM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you asked the shop where you got the bike/fitting if they have a stem you can swap out? When I bought my Cannondale the shop swapped the stock 100mm for a 110 at my request for no charge. BTW, an OEM Cannondale stem will be just fine for your purposes.
Old 04-24-12, 06:14 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
It looks like he bought the SuperSix in 5/2011 (almost a year ago).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...es!?highlight=

We have no idea how he ended-up with this bike. Maybe, he was insistent.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-24-12 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-24-12, 07:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Stems are pretty much stems. Most any name brand stem is going to be acceptably stiff, particularly in a 90 mm length.

You can pay a lot to save a few grams with no real advantage.

There's no advantage to a carbon stem, other than perhaps saving a few grams.

So find one that's the right length, angle, and a decent price.

If aesthetics matter, why not just go with another Cdale, like the one that came with the bike?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-24-12, 11:33 AM
bahamut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I originally planned to do more racing than longer riding so as I grow into the bike comfort has become a little more of a priority.

Pretty common theme isn't it? Newb 'after several fittingS' ends up on a Supersix with a short stem. A shame.
OP...you don't know until you know so you aren't to blame..the shop where you bought is...one .really has to own a 1-3 bikes to dial in fit...but you would be...as I would say most road bikers including me...better off with a taller head tube bike if you want to do longer rides, don't race and prize comfort over speed.
I know, I know - the bike deserves a better rider than me. I bought the bike with the idea of being able to grow into it for years. Frankly speaking I just fell in love with the bike.

What color scheme is the Super Six? Any quality aluminum stem would do, but I'm a sucker for a matching cockpit.
It's the flat black SS - but the stock stem is sort of a polished black.
Old 04-24-12, 12:13 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ritchey aluminum WCS 260 stems are much lighter and can be had for around $100.

103gms for a 100mm I believe.

Carbon/aluminum are personal preference though.
Old 04-24-12, 12:19 PM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post a side-view photo of your riding position.
Old 04-24-12, 12:33 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I know, I know - the bike deserves a better rider than me. I bought the bike with the idea of being able to grow into it for years. Frankly speaking I just fell in love with the bike.
Well...thats OK and btw not a false premise. The other guys here mentioned and correctly so...that the bike may indeed be the right size...just you aren't used to the position if you come from a mtb or cruiser. This is common as well. So you maybe able to grow into the bike as it were.
But will give you another thought. I have been riding for 30 years and couldn't grow into any Supersix. Its a great bike but the geometry is too aggressive for me. I am far from a newb...so its possible you could grow into the bike...but your flexibility may not make it a good choice even after you ride for a couple of seasons.
As mentioned...your best foot forward is...post a pic with you on the bike in your riding position. This will help with a sense if the bike is right for you.
How much saddle to handlebar drop do you have?
Also, post your height, pant length and frame size for better perspective.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-24-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-24-12, 12:58 PM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the flat black SS - but the stock stem is sort of a polished black.
You could find another Cdale C2 stem in 90mm for cheap, and it would still match the seatpost. Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-24-12, 01:38 PM
bahamut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
You could find another Cdale C2 stem in 90mm for cheap, and it would still match the seatpost. Enjoy the ride!
Any idea where?
Old 04-24-12, 02:26 PM
bahamut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Well...thats OK and btw not a false premise. The other guys here mentioned and correctly so...that the bike may indeed be the right size...just you aren't used to the position if you come from a mtb or cruiser. This is common as well. So you maybe able to grow into the bike as it were.
But will give you another thought. I have been riding for 30 years and couldn't grow into any Supersix. Its a great bike but the geometry is too aggressive for me. I am far from a newb...so its possible you could grow into the bike...but your flexibility may not make it a good choice even after you ride for a couple of seasons.
As mentioned...your best foot forward is...post a pic with you on the bike in your riding position. This will help with a sense if the bike is right for you.
How much saddle to handlebar drop do you have?
Also, post your height, pant length and frame size for better perspective.
5'10" 54cm - I'll work on that picture.
Old 04-24-12, 02:27 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the Cdale LBS where you bought the bike!
Old 04-24-12, 02:36 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a wet black Ritchey WCS 90mm (not mine, but I have a 100mm with matching bars and like it):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120896197413...84.m1438.l2649

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-24-12, 05:40 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
5'10" 54cm - I'll work on that picture.
Although leg length matters...even if shortish of leg, a 54 for a guy 5'10" isn't too big...that's for sure...more like a racier fit...perhaps not ideal for a new rider. Some guys your height ride a 56 and one guy world famous with intials LA who is your height rides a 58.
So part of your yearning for a shortish stem is about your comfort level of riding with some torso lean.
But...horizontal reach is only one part of the story. saddle to bar drop is perhaps the biggest detractor to comfort on a road bike.
If you are sporting a lot of drop as the Supersix...especially a 54 has a relatively short head tube...then you likely wanting to keep your
cockpit a bit shorter to compensate. My personal belief...and others will contest this on here...is the average rider is much better off with
very little if no drop. Case in point is the popularity of comfort road bikes among average riders.
Good luck.
Old 04-24-12, 06:30 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Get an adjustable stem with roughly the right length, tune the stem until you are comfortable, and only then buy an expensive stem. You can buy an adjustable stem for $30 on ebay.
A 54 cm frame is actually not too big for you unless you have strange torso to leg length proportions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.