Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 09:49 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Groceries... thought I would test the new rack on the new bike.

Old 05-29-12, 06:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
^^^ Monster tires! Those are interchangeable F&R wheels, right?
Old 05-29-12, 09:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Reynolds
^^^ Monster tires! Those are interchangeable F&R wheels, right?
Yep... 135 mm SS hubs front and rear with a 18 tooth WI freewheel in the back and a 22 tooth ACS up front which I will be changing to a 22 tooth White Industries for when I need to pull stumps.

Wheels are also reverse dished with offset spoke drillings.

You can get a Surly front fork with 100mm spacing which will allow you to lace up a wheel with a conventional hub which would allow something like a front generator with a disc brake... the Neck Romancer builds I have seen use this 100mm front fork set up so the front and rear wheels cannot be interchanged but the frame sets let you choose your fork options which are 135 straight, 135mm offset (for the Pugsley), and 100 mm straight.

The Pugsley frame is also offset... you can see it better in a front shot.

Old 05-30-12, 07:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Interesting. Also the 3x1 gearing. I'm thinking of converting my Nexus 4 bicycle to a double half-step crankset to have 8 close range gears.
Old 05-30-12, 10:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Interesting. Also the 3x1 gearing. I'm thinking of converting my Nexus 4 bicycle to a double half-step crankset to have 8 close range gears.
That would be a nice set up.
Old 06-02-12, 07:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Dumpster finds... two perfectly good resin chairs which are now set out by the firepit.

Not something you find every day...

We had a grand opening at our new co-op location and my friend had to strike a pose.
Old 06-12-12, 09:24 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MISSION: ACCOMPLISHED
Today the small commonwealth of Pauladonia received a shipment of critically needed supplies despite inclement weather and an administration afflicted with debilitating laziness and procrastinating tendencies.

Also, brofist to the lady in the burgundy Tahoe (?) who waved me into the lane and kept traffic off my butt while navigating around the road construction on 101 Northbound.
Old 06-13-12, 01:05 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Dumpster finds... two perfectly good resin chairs which are now set out by the firepit.

Not something you find every day...

We had a grand opening at our new co-op location and my friend had to strike a pose.
Is that hair on her legs?
Old 06-13-12, 01:21 PM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
makes me happy to see you out showing your son how bike life can be done Kudos to you, sir!

Originally Posted by Singlespeed92
The new Trekstracycle took me on two utility rides today. This morning,I rode one direction of town searching thrift stores for a decent kid sized sleeping bag for the son and picked up a DVD to watch tomorrow,and later this eve,he and I rode the other direction to Kmart and bought him a new one. Hauled 1 sleeping bag,2 camp pillows,and EIGHT gallons of water

Old 06-18-12, 12:46 PM
WillynHook
IguanaFred Rider

Bikes: Giant Iguana - Freded-Up since 1992

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had some stools chasing me all the way home. Couldn't shake them as they seemed as fast as I was able to pedal.

Dr. Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phone06_2012 2253.jpg (35.6 KB, 57 views)
phone06_2012 2261.jpg (21.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-20-12, 05:51 AM
EuroJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son and I had a great Fathers Day weekend, picked up a bike for my GFs daughter and had to haul the gear back from the truck (we drove to Maine but I couldn't get parked near the flat so had to use the cargo bike to unload)

Attached Images
Fathers Day 2012 (40).jpg (100.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-20-12, 10:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Went shopping this morning and bulked up on nuts and dried fruit to make 10 pounds of premium trail / road mix and saw that my old rack was looking a little bent so stopped by MEC and picked up another Filzer rack that has a 25kg / 55 pound capacity and then put it to work again this evening when I went and stocked up on fruit, vegetables, cheese and meat and must have been good for 50 pounds with my tools and lock.

These MEC panniers have been in near daily use for 5 years and have carried an immeasurable amount of groceries back from my favourite Italian market... it is a little store that just crushes the big stores when it comes to prices and figure I paid 40% less on what I bought this evening.

Also nice is how the panniers clip to the cart and make packing the groceries so much easier...

Found the rack to be very solid and stable under a pretty decent load... did have to drill the lower mount to handle the larger fender / rack mounting bolts on my Shasta which is really overbuilt in every respect.

So with 50 pounds of groceries and gear I stopped for an excellent Americano at Spinelli's which is next door to and part of the market... am always impressed that for 1.75 they sell one of the best cups of coffee in the city while many of the big chains sell crap at grossly inflated prices.

This bike really handles well with an extra 50 pounds in the back and am thinking of mounting a front rack too... this bike could take me touring just as easily as it gets my groceries, pulls my trailer, and takes me everywhere with a nice balance of comfort and speed.

Old 06-21-12, 07:08 AM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Went shopping this morning and bulked up on nuts and dried fruit to make 10 pounds of premium trail / road mix and saw that my old rack was looking a little bent so stopped by MEC and picked up another Filzer rack that has a 25kg / 55 pound capacity and then put it to work again this evening when I went and stocked up on fruit, vegetables, cheese and meat and must have been good for 50 pounds with my tools and lock.

These MEC panniers have been in near daily use for 5 years and have carried an immeasurable amount of groceries back from my favourite Italian market... it is a little store that just crushes the big stores when it comes to prices and figure I paid 40% less on what I bought this evening.

Also nice is how the panniers clip to the cart and make packing the groceries so much easier...

Found the rack to be very solid and stable under a pretty decent load... did have to drill the lower mount to handle the larger fender / rack mounting bolts on my Shasta which is really overbuilt in every respect.

So with 50 pounds of groceries and gear I stopped for an excellent Americano at Spinelli's which is next door to and part of the market... am always impressed that for 1.75 they sell one of the best cups of coffee in the city while many of the big chains sell crap at grossly inflated prices.

This bike really handles well with an extra 50 pounds in the back and am thinking of mounting a front rack too... this bike could take me touring just as easily as it gets my groceries, pulls my trailer, and takes me everywhere with a nice balance of comfort and speed.

I love reading your posts about your adventures. Keep on keepin on!
Old 06-21-12, 09:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

These pallets were going to be dumped, I think their service life isn't over yet...
Old 06-21-12, 09:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by PJCB
I love reading your posts about your adventures. Keep on keepin on!
This is just the day to day around here... the adventures will start in about a week.

Old 06-21-12, 10:09 PM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJCB
makes me happy to see you out showing your son how bike life can be done Kudos to you, sir!
Thanks kindly,my friend I'd LOVE to be out showing my daughter as well,sadly,she's more of a hermit crab (kinda a social butterfly,but when she's home,she's home,if that makes sense,LOL!). Going to be (FINALLY)teaching my wife of 20 years (come October) how to ride a bike this weekend,weather permitting. I had always thought she'd never even ridden,not once,but she told me this eve that when she was a teen her cousins put her on a bike and rlled her down a paved hill,LOL! HOPING that soon us as a family can do some car-lite riding,as well as just out-for-fun rides
Old 06-21-12, 10:10 PM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reynolds

these pallets were going to be dumped, i think their service life isn't over yet...
NICE!!!
Old 06-22-12, 10:56 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me,the Boy and the Trekstracycle ran (ok,pedaled) to the grocery store for a gallon of milk (it was obligatory to pick up some fresh chocolat covered donuts too,LOL!)
Old 06-23-12, 01:45 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Brought home a piece of furniture, on the rear panniers. Someone had left this at the curb, as an offering to the sanitation gods.
Old 06-23-12, 02:18 PM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Boy at my parents for the day,I asked the (teenaged) Girl if'n she wanted to ride to Food City to pick up a few things...she isn't into riding (especially in the heat of the day) like the Boy and I,but she didn't want me to have to drag out the minivan to go 4-ish miles cause she wanted some chips and burger buns (chicken sammich) neither,so I hauled my first passenger on the Trekstracycle today,she road shotgun
Old 06-23-12, 08:58 PM
CabezaShok

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hauled a carpet cleaner rental once again....fits the BOB Yak trailer like a glove....didnt even need to tie it down but i did anyways.

Old 06-23-12, 09:31 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Needed more olives for tonight's Greek salad and as I had just come home from the shop with my newly refitted road bike grabbed that to make the fastest grocery run ever... as always I pointed myself toward little Italy and my favourite market.

Interesting part was when I was outside enjoying my Americano an older but very spry gentleman with a strong Italian accent stopped to tell me what a beautiful bicycle I had and then proceeded to tell me that when he was younger they raced on Campagnolo gear and used a rod operated rear shifter just like Bartalli, the champion rode.

I told him that it was probably a Cambio Corsa and he said "YES" and then told me how he once met the next great champion, Fausto Coppi... said he had never seen anyone ride a bicycle like he did and that he was "all legs".

I love my neighbourhood and this is not the first time some older Italian gentleman has stopped and wanted to talk about racing bicycles and the old days.
Old 06-24-12, 04:55 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CabezaShok
Hauled a carpet cleaner rental once again....fits the BOB Yak trailer like a glove....didnt even need to tie it down but i did anyways.

do you have both shifters on the left hand side?
Old 06-24-12, 08:28 AM
CabezaShok

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
do you have both shifters on the left hand side?
No....the rightside RD thumbshifter is tilted down and blocked from view in this photo.
Old 06-24-12, 09:02 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
i guess that the end of your bar end to the left of the shifter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.