Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Simple Beyond Car Light/Free

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living Simple Beyond Car Light/Free

Old 01-29-15, 11:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
So this stealth camping is against the law? What happens if you get caught?

Have you never stealth/bush/wild/free camped? Is this really a new idea for you?

It is against the law if you are trespassing on private property or if you camp in a place with a sign that says, "No camping allowed". And if you get caught you could be charged with trespassing ... and/or fined. The "No camping allowed" signs often tell you how much you'll be fined.

That's why, when I've done this, I prefer not to trespass or camp in a place with a sign that says "No camping allowed". I prefer to camp legally. It is legal to camp on crown/public land.

For me, the term "stealth" refers to the idea of finding a quiet place where I won't likely be disturbed by passing traffic etc., and thus can get a good night's sleep, and also "leave no trace", and personally I generally prefer to use the terms "bush", "wild", and "free" camping ... while still maintaining the idea of "leave no trace". But these terms are all more or less interchangeable, and as with anything, different ones you talk to will have different ideas and different comfort levels.

Last edited by Machka; 01-29-15 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 11:42 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I can be a jerk sometimes, but I think it's independent of my simple lifestyle.
I'm pretty sure that's true of all of us....
Old 01-29-15, 11:59 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
I'm interested in simplifying my life, but beyond only reducing my possessions to the bare essentials and being car light (unable to go car free at the moment) I'm looking for additional ideas/suggestions on simple living.
I've always been attracted to a simple lifestyle. I started getting the Mother Earth News (a magazine that advocates living simple and closer to the land) in the early 70's. I've tried serious gardening, owning a small home, living in a small apartment, living with few possessions. I've tried owning cheap automobiles that were easy to own but needed repairs. And I've tried new cars that had payments but never broke down.

I've learned that stress is merely a combination of emotions felt when people attempt to control things.... [that are] beyond their span of control. Surrender control [issues] and there is no stress. It isn't as easy as it sounds. Acceptance is one of the hardest skills to learn. And it has to be relearned... over and over. At least for me it isn't possessions that complicate life. So ridding myself of life's clutter of "stuff" changed nothing.

Simple is.. IMHO... a state of mind.
Old 01-30-15, 12:07 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I think y'aal are missing the distinction between "bums" and people who are living simply. Also, a touch of compassion toward those who are less fortunate would be a good thing.
Compassion? Yeah. Right.

Go and post some compassionate support in the thread in this forum or in Commuting about joeyduck being hit by a bus and truck and almost losing his legs.

The chief antagonists in this forum are very very conspicuous by their absence of support in both threads.
Old 01-30-15, 12:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Simple is.. IMHO... a state of mind.
I agree. The contemporary emphasis on decluttering and buying fewer (but more expensive) things bugs me some.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-30-15, 12:59 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Compassion? Yeah. Right.

Go and post some compassionate support in the thread in this forum or in Commuting about joeyduck being hit by a bus and truck and almost losing his legs.

The chief antagonists in this forum are very very conspicuous by their absence of support in both threads.

Wha are you talking about?
Old 01-30-15, 04:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax

This: https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...tant-news.html

(and Roody's rather hypocritical comment about compassion)
Old 01-30-15, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Compassion? Yeah. Right.

Are you keeping book on who posts the Get Well Soon, RIP, So Sorry for Your Misfortune, etc. twitter-type chatter on BF? And what conclusion have you drawn from your tally about those who are drawn to such threads vice those who choose not to post on them?
Old 01-30-15, 10:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by plustax
Originally Posted by Machka
Perhaps a barrage of photobombing or snippets of your daily diary would make this thread more important and interesting.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-30-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-30-15, 10:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I agree. The contemporary emphasis on decluttering and buying fewer (but more expensive) things bugs me some.
Why? What's it to you?
Old 01-31-15, 01:15 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why? What's it to you?
Sometimes the things strangers do irritates me a little. I'm sure you can empathize.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-31-15, 01:26 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oooooooooooh snap!
Old 01-31-15, 02:05 AM
bluebike1000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I would add some input since this seems like an interesting thread.

My backround is that I worked in tourism in British Columbia for several years, and I actually helped people to find places to camp.

Originally Posted by Machka
Have you never stealth/bush/wild/free camped? Is this really a new idea for you?

It is against the law if you are trespassing on private property or if you camp in a place with a sign that says, "No camping allowed". And if you get caught you could be charged with trespassing ... and/or fined. The "No camping allowed" signs often tell you how much you'll be fined.

That's why, when I've done this, I prefer not to trespass or camp in a place with a sign that says "No camping allowed". I prefer to camp legally. It is legal to camp on crown/public land.

For me, the term "stealth" refers to the idea of finding a quiet place where I won't likely be disturbed by passing traffic etc., and thus can get a good night's sleep, and also "leave no trace", and personally I generally prefer to use the terms "bush", "wild", and "free" camping ... while still maintaining the idea of "leave no trace". But these terms are all more or less interchangeable, and as with anything, different ones you talk to will have different ideas and different comfort levels.
This is a pretty good summary of how stealth camping works. I would add to this that if you see a No Trespassing sign, it means the same thing as a No Camping sign. Also, barbed wire fences, like what you would find near ranches, are a clear sign that camping is usually a no-no as they mean that the area has been developed for agriculture. There is no requirement to install signs if there is a fence or improvements.

There is an an unbelievable amount of space to camp in BC. You should not need to camp on such places. The BC government also has an excellent parks system and an great system of free public campgrounds. Bear in mind that food is pricey in BC.
Old 01-31-15, 02:58 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my state you're trespassing only if there's a sign or a fence or you're asked to leave and refuse. Interestingly enough the same law applies to personal property including automobiles. So technically if you sleep in a person's car, that is not illegal unless you won't vacate so the family can drive to work
Old 02-01-15, 06:40 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I identify with what MMM has to say about simplicity. For example the idea of Living Local and other thoughts in this recent post.

MMM is a good supporter of the LCF lifestyle. I like this article on Curing the Clown-Like Car Habit. A good read if you've never seen it.
Thanks for that link.

I've read Mr Money Mustache for a while now, but nothing lately. It was a good reality check.