Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire replacement - rotation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire replacement - rotation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 11:14 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I always rotate, but I try to do it before the rear starts to flatten out. Usually 500-1000 miles, depending on how fast the tire wears. Then I replace both once the rotated rear is done. I wouldn't want to put one new tire on the front and keep an old one on the back. I'd rather just replace both once the rear is done, even if the front looks like it still has life left. Don't want to turn this into a tire debate, but I can get a ton of miles out of 4000s II's, so I'm not concerned about getting every last bit of tread out of every tire.
Old 09-27-16, 11:32 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I always rotate, but I try to do it before the rear starts to flatten out. Usually 500-1000 miles, depending on how fast the tire wears. Then I replace both once the rotated rear is done. I wouldn't want to put one new tire on the front and keep an old one on the back. I'd rather just replace both once the rear is done, even if the front looks like it still has life left. Don't want to turn this into a tire debate, but I can get a ton of miles out of 4000s II's, so I'm not concerned about getting every last bit of tread out of every tire.
When you use up a rear and move the front there, it is nearly pristine. There is no aesthetic downside. Rotating like you do only makes sense if you are trying to use up both tires at exactly the same time, perhaps so you can replace them both with a different brand/model/color/etc.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-27-16, 11:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I'd wager most rear punctures occur with really worn tires which situation occurs much more frequently on the rear than the front. I'll reverse my position here and admit that rear punctures likely do occur more often than front for this reason. Yes, moving a slightly used front to the rear ever so slightly exacerbates this effect as the rear tire is always at least a little worn. I think that aspect is very minor however.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-27-16, 11:54 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
When you use up a rear and move the front there, it is nearly pristine. There is no aesthetic downside. Rotating like you do only makes sense if you are trying to use up both tires at exactly the same time, perhaps so you can replace them both with a different brand/model/color/etc.
I'm not understanding what you are saying. I wouldn't ever want to "use up" a rear tire then put it up front.

This is exactly why I rotate when I do...have them be worn out (or close enough) at the same time. I have no scientific reason why I rotate the rear up front when I do, but I'd be a little sketched out if the front was really flat. Even if it does not affect the performance in any way, I feel better when I rotate the tire up front and it still looks newish.
Old 09-27-16, 11:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by cthenn
I'm not understanding what you are saying. I wouldn't ever want to "use up" a rear tire then put it up front.

This is exactly why I rotate when I do...have them be worn out (or close enough) at the same time. I have no scientific reason why I rotate the rear up front when I do, but I'd be a little sketched out if the front was really flat. Even if it does not affect the performance in any way, I feel better when I rotate the tire up front and it still looks newish.
I never suggested that. I said, "When you use us a rear and move the front there...." The understood corollary is that the used up rear is discarded.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-27-16, 12:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Lol someone forgot their Brandt

More Flats on Rear Tires by Jobst Brandt

My own personal data is 31,000 miles; 22 rear flats due to puncture, 1 front flat due to puncture.

ETA: same mileage and I've broken 4 spokes in the rear and zero in the front.
I love how you know that stat.
Just as a total guess, I would say that over the last 30K miles I've probably got 30 rear flats and 15 front flats.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-27-16, 12:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Used to rotate, but with 4000SII no need, as the sidewalls on the front are usually pretty beat up by the time the rear is worn out so they both get swapped out.

scott s.
Old 09-27-16, 12:28 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I agree with this. Having a newer tire on the front gives peace of mind and safety. If you are changing a tire in the comfort of your home or shop you should be able to take your time to make sure you don't pinch the tube.
I feel this way (and that's what I do with car tires - only buy 2 new at a time and rotate front to back), but in reality, I'm lazy with my bike where I do the maintenance myself and sometimes just slap the new one on the rear. Especially when it's a tire/rim combo that's really hard to mount.
Old 09-27-16, 12:41 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Rotating as described here automatically gets the most wear out of your tires.

The tires will last the same amount if you rotate or not.

If a front tire lasts 3000 miles on the front and 1000 miles on the rear, a front tire with 1000 miles on it will now last 667 miles on the rear.

This means you are now changing your rear tire 33% more often, cutting into your riding time and getting fatter and slower.

Before you know it you are no longer able to ride a road bike and will have to buy an e-bike to keep up with your friends.

Ebikes cost a lot, so now your tire rotating has set you back thousands, your friends laugh at you and all of your KOMs will be flagged for cheating.
Old 09-27-16, 01:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by 69chevy
The tires will last the same amount if you rotate or not.

If a front tire lasts 3000 miles on the front and 1000 miles on the rear, a front tire with 1000 miles on it will now last 667 miles on the rear.

This means you are now changing your rear tire 33% more often, cutting into your riding time and getting fatter and slower.

Before you know it you are no longer able to ride a road bike and will have to buy an e-bike to keep up with your friends.

Ebikes cost a lot, so now your tire rotating has set you back thousands, your friends laugh at you and all of your KOMs will be flagged for cheating.
Not exactly true. Or maybe not always true. The rotation recommended here prevents the front tire from languishing for years (for a low mileage bike) and possibly suffering dry rot, ozone damage or other age-related damage. Those could cut into the eventual total mileage of the tire.

And before you say anything, yes, I'm reaching!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-27-16, 01:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Not exactly true. Or maybe not always true. The rotation recommended here prevents the front tire from languishing for years (for a low mileage bike) and possibly suffering dry rot, ozone damage or other age-related damage. Those could cut into the eventual total mileage of the tire.

I hate to admit this, but on the topic of tire change/rotation I agree 100% with the PenMan.
Old 09-27-16, 01:58 PM
rpenmanparker 

By the way, the average mileage calculation for the front-to-back, new front rotation scheme gets very complex really fast. Seems to end up after a while at one tire per 750 miles like the simpler scheme.

Just did the calculation: Okay, the function determining tire mileage under the 1000 rear miles, 3000 front miles oscillates around buying one new tire every 750 miles gradually settling on 750 at around the 7th tire purchased. Due to the first tire replacement at 1000 miles, however, the average mileage/tire stays sitnificantly above 750 miles for much longer than that. So for most folks, the average tire purchase mileage over a pretty long period will stay several % above 750 miles. Keeping the tires in place and riding each if them to end of life will always be at a tire replacement on aversge every 750 miles. Surprisingly, I was right at the outset. Best mileage is obtained with the rotating scheme, even if only by a little bit.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 09-27-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 02:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by datlas
I hate to admit this, but on the topic of tire change/rotation I agree 100% with the PenMan.
Surely you know how much I value your support.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-27-16, 02:18 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

You're not reaching.

I'm lazy and never rotate my tires, just replacing them when they're worn, which means that I replace lots of rear tires, but hardly ever replace the front one.

I've noticed that my front tyre of my Ritchey which is approaching 2 years old, and is lightly worn, is showing cracking due to dry rot. This is not a bike that has sat unused for a long time either, it gets used at least 2-3 days of the week.

So now I'm thinking I should probably be rotating my tires to avoid this in future.
Old 09-27-16, 02:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by dr_lha
You're not reaching.

I'm lazy and never rotate my tires, just replacing them when they're worn, which means that I replace lots of rear tires, but hardly ever replace the front one.

I've noticed that my front tyre of my Ritchey which is approaching 2 years old, and is lightly worn, is showing cracking due to dry rot. This is not a bike that has sat unused for a long time either, it gets used at least 2-3 days of the week.

So now I'm thinking I should probably be rotating my tires to avoid this in future.
That's what I'm talking about!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-27-16, 02:25 PM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Changing tyres is a waste of time. When it's time for tyres, buy a new bike.
Old 09-27-16, 02:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Doug28450
Changing tyres is a waste of time. When it's time for tyres, buy a new bike.
Ooh, I like that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-28-16, 09:11 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would replace it if you do a lot of climbing and descent. Install the new one on the front and more the front one to the rear.
Old 09-28-16, 09:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
this is one crazy ass thread! LOL!