Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's Completely Happy with Their Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who's Completely Happy with Their Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 03:11 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I am completely happy with my Orbea Orca 2012, Campy Chorus, Boyd tubular carbon wheels.
Old 10-03-16, 04:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I am building a new Kona steel bike to take with me as I travel during the week. I don't want to ding up the Colnago. The Kona will be cool but the Colnago is going to be with me until I no longer ride, it gets stolen or wrecked. What can I say. When I get attached to bikes or cars I tend to keep them until the no longer run.
That's how I justify my other bikes. My Workswell is for riding ... not for errands, not for bad weather which will eat up the drive train, not for questionable roads ... not even for group rides where we would be stopping for breakfast and locking up outside in an entirely secure location. It is just for going out to ride, riding, and bringing home.

I have an old steel bike for comfort ... bars a little higher .... great fun to ride. I have a commuter roadbike .... can carry panniers if I want, good enough for group rides, cheap enough that if someone knocked it over I wouldn't get too upset, and still rides well enough that if it was my only bike, (and for a while it was,) I wouldn't feel like I was lacking.

The touring bike is for touring ... or actually, for getting groceries, lately. Front and rear racks and all that.

The Workswell wouldn't be appreciably better with 12 versus 11 cogs. Di2 might be an improvement, but it shifts almost intuitively already. It isn't as light as some bikes, but I am 50 lbs overweight and it is light enough that I can feel the difference on hills compared to my other bikes.

I understand the thrill of the hunt ... in fact, I addressed it in my last overly long post. I just don't see it as part of "Cycling" proper. it is indeed the Thrill of the Hunt---whether shopping for camera gear, bike gear, a new car, a new home, new tools, or just wandering through the hardware store and imagining new things I could build badly.

I have had to think about this some ... age and budget and varied interests and common sense have to be weighed against the thrill of the hunt (no amount of bike and camera gear will make me feel better if I need health care I cannot afford, or if my retirement income is not sufficient.) So, I have had to shut down the "Thrill of the Hunt" as it pertains to cycling.

This has not reduced the joy I find in cycling ... in fact right now I am disappointed because I have too much to do to get out on my bike ... my old, familiar, have-it-for-the-rest-of-my-life bike. Riding bikes came before buying bikes, before buying parts, before reading about upgrades .... the pure joy of riding a bicycle is where all this started and what it all rests on.

I am sure most of us had only one bicycle for most of our lives until we became irresponsible adults with enough cash to squander on a garage-full, with all the latest gear. And I am sure for most of us ... the Joy of Cycling is still what makes us ride.

The Joy of Shopping (or, for those who need a more masculine image, "The inborn and natural survival-based drive to hunt for to provide sustenance for the tribe" (which is pretty abstract when you hear a bunch of guys shopping for their second or third pair of cycling shoes)) is a different drive.

As I see things. Others' points of view may be wron ... ummm... may vary.

Last edited by Maelochs; 10-03-16 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 04:48 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my 43 year old Motobecane Grand Jubilee , 15 year old Colnago Dream , and recently acquired 2014 Defy 1 to which I immediately added a Brooks Cambium C15, 28mm tires, and eggbeaters so I can cross cruise highways and the gravel/logging roads . My constant work in progress is the 2015 Minnesota 3.0 fat-bike (which I rode in the Seattle-to-Portland pretending it was a road bike for 205 miles ).

Last edited by Jseis; 10-03-16 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 04:52 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2015 Felt Z85.
It's not the lightest bike - about 19-21 lbs. But I wanted a bike that feels a bit more stable on down hills, and this bike feels great.
The 105 is so dialed in - shifting is amazing.
The bike is all stock except for the seat. I really don't want to change anything.

...but that's not to say that I wouldn't want another bike. I like variety.
Old 10-03-16, 04:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
I'm perfectly happy with my 43 year old Motobecane Grand Jubilee
Wait - has BikesDirect been around that long?
Old 10-03-16, 04:53 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I'm very happy, for now. CAAD10/Ultegra 6800/Cdale Si Crank with SRM/Williams 31 Wheels wearing 25mm GP4000's/3T Stem & Ergonova Bars/SMP Dynamic Seat on a Zipp service course post.

Funny thing is I picked up the frame cheap. Was just going to be a stand in. Something to hang components on till I found the right size & color SuperSix. Then I got distracted by a Tarmac for a while. Now I'm not sure I would trade it for either. Excellent ride and fit.
Old 10-03-16, 04:53 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
I have a stock Diamondback Haanjo Comp. Fits like a glove and leaves me wanting for nothing. I plan to ride it forever.
Old 10-03-16, 04:54 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wait - has BikesDirect been around that long?
I got in on the ground level
Old 10-03-16, 04:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I have a stock Diamondback Haanjo Comp. Fits like a glove and leaves me wanting for nothing. I plan to ride it forever.
I picked one up two days ago from REI for - wait for it - $550. I really like it so far, too - it seems like it'll do a little bit of everything fairly well, but I don't see it completely replacing my road bike.
Old 10-03-16, 05:16 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
My first Fuji, a 2009 Team RC was absolutely perfect. I put SRAM Red group on it and SRAM S60 wheels. Couldn't have asked for a better bike. We'll, should say, I shouldn't have asked. I love the Altamira, it's close but the Team was perfect.
Old 10-03-16, 05:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Tarmac. Nothing I would change other than bartape.
Old 10-03-16, 05:54 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was perfectly happy with both of my new Merckx Sallanches - and then I changed out the stem, seat, shifters, derailures, wheels and tires. I am again happy with my Sallanches so I bought a San Remo.
Old 10-03-16, 07:14 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
It's a total hodgepodge of parts but I love it as-is.

Old 10-03-16, 08:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Completely happy with my '99 Trek 5200. Bought it new, never saw anything that looked like an upgrade.
Old 10-03-16, 08:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm very happy with my bikes.
Old 10-03-16, 09:13 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Actually the bike I've been riding for the last two years is my dream bike. I purchased it as a retirement gift to myself so I pulled out all the stops. Pinarello Dogma F8 with DA Di2, Zipp 303's, Selle SMP Carbon Rail Saddle and 3T Aeronova handlebars. Added a Stages PM and a Garmin 820 so I am good to go.
I still enjoy my TCR but I must say other than on the trainer it hasn't gotten many miles since the Doggie arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150909_113523-1_resized.jpg (97.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 10-03-16, 09:26 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I currently have 4 bicycles. A Trek that fits so well.... it feels as comfortable as an easy chair. Pretty much stock... with my own saddle selection. It's my daily rider.

I have a vintage Trek as well... I don't ride it often but can't imagine parting with it. I enjoy my Cannondale R500 as well. It's fast, light, and climbs well. My Fuji is my rain bike.

I like all my bikes! And other than consumables I can't imagine changing anything.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Do people really think they're going to be riding one bike for the rest of their lives? Unless you're in your 70s, I think that's wishful thinking. Plus getting new bikes is one of the great joys of cycling, why deprive yourself?
I am retired and... not young. I regularly look at the new bikes.... and I don't believe I can put off getting a disc braked road bike too much longer. You're right! Why would I deprive myself?
Old 10-03-16, 09:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
as others have noted - when a bike gets just right, it stays with me...
I finally gave awy my '74 Fuji Ace to a C/V forum member a couple yrs back.
I still have/ride my '76 Pepi Limongi custom (ultra 7 spd)
Still have my '80 Colnago Super with NR and my '84 Colnago Master with C Rec.
They get ridden not as much as I should because of the newer bikes...

I ride my '99 Marin Treviso (Nemo steel) 3 wkdays, which was 9 spd Ultegra until this summer - now 10.

Luv my '09 Tarmac Expert and it's almost all stock except for the main wheelset - HED Ardennes (Ultegra wheels were great and now are on the Treviso).
I do have a embarressment of riches in wheelsets, and some other stuff.

The Tarmac will take me to the grave (unless it gives up the ghost before I do...), so just part replacement when needs, tahrs, chains, cassettes (of which I have plenty...) and bartape.
I ride the old bikes just because the 'ride' feel brings back great memories. Sadly most of those memories were made on the East Coast, so I really have to dredge up a lot of imagery...

So the active formula for me, starting this past August is to 'N-1', especially when it comes to parts/wheelsets on hand.

...anyone looking for a great set of Suntour Superbe Pro 126 hubs, Trois Etoile laced to Super Champ Record du Monde Tubular rims, 32x ???? LOL....

I was happy with all of them, for a time...
everything can now go, except the Tarmac...
will there be 'better' bikes? I guess, but will they be completely 'forgotten' when I'm aboard and riding?
it took 43 yrs of riding to get to the Tarmac, think I'll hang onto it, as it is, for a bunch more years

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-03-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 10:20 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I am completely happy with this bike:

It's my grail bike. From the time I acquired it in 1996, this is what I had imagined it becoming one day. It took a little longer than I had anticipated, but it was well worth the wait. It's been built for quite a while now, but it is finally "done".

Last edited by growlerdinky; 10-03-16 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Sometimes one can no longer resist the need to bloviate.
Old 10-04-16, 06:38 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'm not. I bought my bike thinking it would be my bike for the next five plus years, but it's too heavy. I want the lighter version. And I want Di2. And I want carbon wheels, two pairs, one for training and racing.

But I'm pretty sure if I got such a bike, I'd want a different one the next year. My lusts are fickle.
Old 10-04-16, 08:53 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I am totally satisfied....

I love (yes, strong word) my Bianchi Infinito CV. This is my first campy equipped bike. The ergonomics, and shifting are perfect.
Old 10-04-16, 08:57 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I am completely happy with this bike:

It's my grail bike. From the time I acquired it in 1996, this is what I had imagined it becoming one day. It took a little longer than I had anticipated, but it was well worth the wait. It's been built for quite a while now, but it is finally "done".
Beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10-04-16, 09:53 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Most of these threads are on people who are trying to improve an existing bike or buy a new bike.

But who is perfectly happy with their bike? Who is *not* looking to make any changes to their existing build and just ride it. What is the build?

I'll say with the addition of the compact 38cm bars my Breezer Venturi is now as good as it gets for a steel racing geometry bike (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ike-850-a.html for build details). The tingling hand stuff I had was due to an unlevel saddle.

I don't intend to change it for a long time. Anyone else in that boat?
My commuter: Cannondale CAADX 105. perfect knoby tyres, perfect fit, 25 lbs, perfect fit, 3k miles in i have not wanted to add anything to the bike.
Old 10-04-16, 10:04 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did give a Fuji to my former personal trainer - it was a low end road bike I bought with the intention of sticking it on the trainer and leaving it there. young guy still in college, money is tight for him and I never put it on the trainer anyway.
Old 10-04-16, 10:15 AM
up on two

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was completely happy with my bike when I bought it. As I evolved as a rider, I modified or swapped out parts as needed so my bike adapted with me.

No matter what you think is the perfect bike today, tomorrow your mind will change from experience or outside influence. Either way, it's a never ending process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.