Old 06-15-18, 07:28 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 758 Posts
Apple Cider Century

Any takers for the Apple Cider Century in Three Oaks, MI Sep 30? I've been meaning to get around to signing up for several years, but somehow always managed to miss the deadline. Not this year... I'll be riding something vintage (my bikes all date from late 50s to early 80s).
Old 06-16-18, 08:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I always play it by ear. Weather can be iffy as you get further into fall. Some of the roads on the route are very rough. At least they stopped routing us down that road where the pavement ended and we had to walk through 200 feet of deep soft sand. I did the ride last year and had good weather.
Old 06-18-18, 06:47 PM
smontanaro 

For me it was always that I would go to register only to find registration was already closed. How long do you wait before deciding?
Old 07-31-18, 07:46 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Any takers for the Apple Cider Century in Three Oaks, MI Sep 30? I've been meaning to get around to signing up for several years, but somehow always managed to miss the deadline. Not this year... I'll be riding something vintage (my bikes all date from late 50s to early 80s).

My wife and I are registered and hoping for good weather. Of course I expect an ce storm and high winds! I will be riding a 1985 Trek 600 unless I get the 1984 Trek 620 rolling by then.
Old 08-02-18, 05:09 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My wife and I signed up about a week ago. If the weather is bad, we’ll just consider it a donation, I guess. I like to ride, but not in the rain. It will be a first for both of us.
Old 08-02-18, 06:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
Back in the 90's a buddy, and a woman he worked with, acquired some second-hand registrations and the 3 of us did the 50 mile route.
That was about double what I'd ever done before.
Thought I was gonna die!
Old 08-13-18, 11:27 AM
nbhphoto

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1989 Bianchi Campione, 1997(?) Bianchi Veloce, 2005 Bianchi Ti, 1960's Cinelli Mod B

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got 13 people to sign up this year, 10 have never done it before! I started a cycling club at my work and this was the goal to train for, in addition to commuting, sat morning cafe rides, etc. It's always a blast!
Old 10-01-18, 05:47 AM
bnewberry

It was a good ride! Although I will say that I wish that riders would do a bit better at keeping to the right. I witnessed one near miss by a truck ant two other honking drive by a due to riders crowding the centerline.
Old 10-01-18, 09:36 AM
smontanaro 

@bnewberry I agree. I did the 50... The back roads were generally fairly narrow, so passing clumps of riders generally involved crossing the center line. Fortunately, the site lines were pretty good, as the roads were also generally pretty straight.

I did see one mishap as I approached the first stop. I tried not to rubberneck too much, but there was police, ambulance and fire at the scene. It looked like one or two bikes got tangled up with each other or a car. I hope everybody involved was ok.
Old 10-01-18, 11:43 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
We did the Metric. I was on my modern Fuji and my friends were on their modern red/white/blue Calfee tandem.

I’ve never seen such terrible road manners. Center line crowding, groups of people stopped in the traffic lane, weaving back and forth, etc I also couldn’t believe how bad many sections of the road were with potholes and patches and such.

That being said, the route was nice, the sag stations were well spaced out, the ride was challenging.
Old 10-01-18, 02:59 PM
bnewberry

@bnewberry I agree. I did the 50... The back roads were generally fairly narrow, so passing clumps of riders generally involved crossing the center line. Fortunately, the site lines were pretty good, as the roads were also generally pretty straight.

I did see one mishap as I approached the first stop. I tried not to rubberneck too much, but there was police, ambulance and fire at the scene. It looked like one or two bikes got tangled up with each other or a car. I hope everybody involved was ok.
I saw the rider down (if this was the same incident) as i went by not long after it happened and before emergency services arrived. I think that was a bike on bike incident. Luckily there was more than one doctor in that group so they had it under control.

Old 10-01-18, 03:03 PM
bnewberry

Originally Posted by cb400bill
We did the Metric. I was on my modern Fuji and my friends were on their modern red/white/blue Calfee tandem.

I’ve never seen such terrible road manners. Center line crowding, groups of people stopped in the traffic lane, weaving back and forth, etc I also couldn’t believe how bad many sections of the road were with potholes and patches and such.

That being said, the route was nice, the sag stations were well spaced out, the ride was challenging.
I was surprised to see so many clumps of riders in packs that took up the whole lane or in many cases just a pair of riders managing to take up the whole lane with little effort to make room for passing even when they knew people were in in fact passing.

I did a century two weeks ago up north of Traverse City and it had steeper hills, but I felt this ride was more challenging in some ways. In part because of the weather and in part because of long hills with headwinds!
Old 10-17-18, 03:50 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bnewberry
It was a good ride! Although I will say that I wish that riders would do a bit better at keeping to the right. I witnessed one near miss by a truck ant two other honking drive by a due to riders crowding the centerline.
I would agree and hope to go again next year. I don’t ride a lot of these organized rides, but I did get the impression on this one that many of the riders thought the roads were only for bicyclists on that day, and no vehicles. On other rides (again, not many for comparison), it seems that “passing on your left” or some type of alert is given when being passed. I rarely heard anything during this ride when being passed. I guess as long as a rider doesn’t deviate from a straight line, there won’t be any issues, but compared to the few other rides I’ve done, it was way less. The event is organized very well and we enjoyed the experience!
Old 10-17-18, 05:27 AM
smontanaro 

I think the presence of a 15-mile option probably attracts a fair number of riders who are just casual riders and perhaps not as familiar with riding etiquette. If it attracts them to the sport, it's all good. They will figure it the rest of it.
Old 01-06-19, 12:05 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
I've always wanted to do this, and it's a couple weeks after the Coppi Centenario in central Wisconsin.

An old friend of mine has done it a few times and loved it.
Old 01-06-19, 12:50 PM
smontanaro 

I'm planning on Centenario Coppi...
Old 01-15-19, 03:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by nbhphoto
I got 13 people to sign up this year, 10 have never done it before! I started a cycling club at my work and this was the goal to train for, in addition to commuting, sat morning cafe rides, etc. It's always a blast!
I think I remember a thread where someone wanted to train a group for doing a tour. Was that you? How did everyone do?
Old 01-23-19, 08:24 AM
Banksyone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Hi everyone.
If you need any tips or help just contact me!
Best wishes
Old 03-12-19, 02:34 PM
nbhphoto

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1989 Bianchi Campione, 1997(?) Bianchi Veloce, 2005 Bianchi Ti, 1960's Cinelli Mod B

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I think I remember a thread where someone wanted to train a group for doing a tour. Was that you? How did everyone do?
With 13 fellow employees participating, we hit 900 total miles riding at the 2018 Apple Cider Century! (Plus a couple hundred more from relatives/relations riding with us.)
My employer just offered to pay for entries this year. We'll see how many more we get this year...

Last edited by nbhphoto; 03-12-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 07:53 PM
KittyBikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'll be there this year...dying ,probably somewhere at the back of the pack haha