Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Rider Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Rider Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 08:15 PM
jschopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Rider Question

I'm just getting into riding. I've been riding a $200 bike from Dick's and I'm looking to upgrade. I found a Trek FX 7.3. I think it's several years old but hasn't been ridden since 2015. They're asking $270. Is this a good bike? And is this a decent deal?

Thanks so much for any help. Really appreciate it.

Jeremy
Old 09-26-19, 08:48 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
What year? "Hasn't been ridden since.." doesn't really give an indication of age. Beyond that, what would you say the condition is? Could be a pretty good deal.
Old 09-27-19, 08:08 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Unfortunately you can't post a picture of the bike until you have 10 posts but if it is on CL you could post a link. I always try to pull it up on bicycle blue book not for the prices listed but for the list of components and MSRP. If this bike is the basic version with rim brakes it is probably not a good deal as the MSRP in 2012 was $690 and in 2014 was $660. It could have been made as early as 2006.

The listings for this bike on bicycle blue book https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...roduct/1000451 Just below the pictures for the bikes are all of the years it was made. You can click on any year for the info.
Old 09-27-19, 08:19 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
https://www.citybikesonline.com/prod...x-173857-1.htm

if you want that type of bicycle and the tires and brakes are still good I’d definitely take a look
Old 09-27-19, 08:23 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
you going to tun it or take it to a shop? Do you know your size?

reason I'm asking is that if you buy a bike used online and take it to the shop for tuning and tires, you can pretty much double the price you pay. Might ought to start at the shop if you have one
Old 09-27-19, 08:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Bikes come in sizes, just like shoes. An "upgrade" that's the wrong size isn't an upgrade. How you fit on the bike affects your comfort efficiency and performance every single minute you are riding the bike. In terms of importance, nothing else even comes close.

The real trick to buying a used bike is rejecting any that aren't the right size. If it doesn't fit it's not a good deal regardless of price or componentry.
Old 10-05-19, 09:25 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Bicycle blue book isn't based on actual sales, so it is a completely worthless "reference". If the bike is in pristine, unridden condition, knock 25% off MSRP of a new one since you won't get warranty or free shop service. Anything cheaper than that is a good deal. But seriously, ignore the blue book completely. If you look you will see that every bike follows exactly the same depreciation, whether it's a good bike or a bad bike. Totally useless. The best metric is to pay what it's worth to you.
Old 10-06-19, 06:34 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
You also must know what size bike fits you properly. Local bike shops will help you with that, even if you do not buy from them. Test ride some bikes to find out your size. Scout around prices.
Old 10-06-19, 07:37 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I hate to say this, but if you're looking at just spending a few hundred bucks, stand over the frame and if the top bar doesn't touch, the frame will probably fit close enough that it can be dialed in with saddle, stem, and bar adjustments.

If you can't stand over the frame without the top bar hitting the nether regions, the frame is probably too big. I'm sure you can get more info than you want by doing a web search on standover height and bike fit.

Now, the reason I said "I hate to say this" is standover height used to be one of the gospel measurements for bike fit, but doesn't take torso length into account. For me, when I've bought bikes based on standover height, they're too small for my long torso, short legged body.

Good luck with your bike shopping.