Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 11:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Legs were really heavy this morning. Probably from running on Sunday. I notice that it's never the day following a big effort; it's the day after the day after.
Old 10-21-08, 11:31 AM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-2C today probably even colder with the wind chill going at 30kmh
Lots of Falling Leaves
it was hurting quite a bit when it cuts your face, when it hits you.
luckily i packed my face mask with me, i knew it was gonna be handy some day.
It was quite fun riding with the face mask on today.
The looks on the people are priceless

the only thing that i did not like were the ultra strong wind gust, that hits you randomly for a few minutes then goes away, then back again and.... you get the picture

so it was annoying never the less.
Old 10-21-08, 12:37 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I tip my helmet to those who commute in really cold/windy foul weather! Here it is brisk and dark but beautiful clear skies. The wind will not be above 20 MPH in my face going home. I really have loved commuting since I have dedicated my old Trek MTB to that job.

I will wave if I see you pass by!
Old 10-21-08, 01:10 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Legs were really heavy this morning. Probably from running on Sunday. I notice that it's never the day following a big effort; it's the day after the day after.
A weight-lifting axiom that's applicable to any heavy exercise (IMO): the 2nd day is always the worst.

Took the alternate route this morning as I had to deliver baby wipes to day care. Only had one moron close-pass me (the road to day care is VERY narrow, one of the reasons I don't trailer The Kid to day care). Said moron got about 20 yards...and then had to slow down for the car in front of me.

Last edited by Itsjustb; 10-21-08 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-21-08, 01:13 PM
RMWrides
:::

Bikes: Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I htink it was +5C today nice, very nice for a ride into work...except for the wheelsuckers...I hate the lameo wheelsuckers who never pull (or can't) I mean come-on its commuting!
Old 10-21-08, 01:30 PM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute in was good. Legs were kinda tired so I took it slow. The headwinds were the suck.

and.....
Originally Posted by FredOak
Jen...I think you need a morning motivator, it always sounds like it's the morning ride you need a kick start.
Jen just needs to rig up a nice, fredly stick that hangs a coffee out in front of her bike.
Old 10-21-08, 01:32 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had an unloaded logging truck give me so much room and that was so patient from behind that I almost got irritated. He had all the room in the world to go around but wouldn't.

Now that's gettin' picky eh?
Old 10-21-08, 02:26 PM
martybucs

Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride in was nice. Ride home, a different story. I was pleased it was warmer and sunny, but then I got on the road and the wind was so strong - like pedaling through marshmallow fluff. Ugh! Last street home, the wind was so strong it was a storm of leaves and pine needles.

A side wind almost blew me off the bike! Never had that happen before. I've been checking the weather now I know to check the wind speeds also.
Old 10-21-08, 04:03 PM
ddccow

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just a great day to ride, both to work and home. this am in the dark met a jogger that had a dog with her. both the jogger and the dog had llights on. looked strange to see a dog with lights.
Old 10-21-08, 06:28 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome commute. Especially considering when I came home I had two bikes parked in my driveway that my Dad picked up for me. An old campagnolo and an old Royce Union. I like both frames and now want to keep them! Ahhhh!
Old 10-21-08, 06:37 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caleab

Jen just needs to rig up a nice, fredly stick that hangs a coffee out in front of her bike.
Want!!!

The ride home taught me that physical exercise and nature are both very good at fighting off intense stress. Pretty ride, too! I was able to concentrate on the leaves crunching under my tires and the many different shades of gray in the sky.
Old 10-21-08, 08:15 PM
slloth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by girljen
Want!!!

The ride home taught me that physical exercise and nature are both very good at fighting off intense stress.

I have been battling Anxiety/Depression for the past few years now and my daily ride has helped significantly. I have never had an Anxiety attack while riding.
Old 10-21-08, 09:07 PM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tweak, tweak tweak, thud. Today was my second day throwing all my (too much) stuff in one Ortlieb Bike packer rear pannier--I'm surprised that I hardly notice this heavy thing hanging off one side of the bike. And I'm two weeks into using power grips, which I think i'll like. I immediately see about 1 mph increase in speed when I use them. But I'm having trouble settling on shoes to wear while I'm riding. Everything but my sandals give me hot spots or numbness. So today I figured I'd just go with the sandals and socks, but that made the grips too loose. So when the bike and I got on the subway I started adjusting one of the grips and dropped the nut on the floor, where it promptly ran under the seats. I never saw it again, although I spent a lot of time looking for it and frightening (or maybe just amusing) the other passengers. Otherwise a good commute in, if a little hot--around 90 F at 1 pm.
Old 10-21-08, 09:46 PM
drummer5

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Team Record, 1979 Motobecane Mirage, 1985 Gitane Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by girljen
Want!!!

The ride home taught me that physical exercise and nature are both very good at fighting off intense stress. Pretty ride, too! I was able to concentrate on the leaves crunching under my tires and the many different shades of gray in the sky.
I concur, commuting to class daily has been a great way to wake me up in the morning and puts me in a better mood for the day, especially when I come up to the light before campus and am surrounded by other bikers instead of cars.
Old 10-21-08, 09:58 PM
slloth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
But I'm having trouble settling on shoes to wear while I'm riding. Everything but my sandals give me hot spots or numbness.
Pay attention to your foot position on the pedals and your seat position. Sometimes I also adjust where I am sitting on the seat. Since I have a cheapo saddle I find myself moving around a lot during my ride finding the best position.
Old 10-21-08, 11:34 PM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute was wet. Very very wet.
Old 10-22-08, 04:31 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delightful ride this morning. Mid-40sF/7-ishC, generally clear and with a noticable headwind--just enough to encourage me to slacken my pace a bit.

After changing the gearing on my bike over the weekend (bigger chainring, a newer rear gear changer, and a swapped-around 9spd cassette), I finally got everything adjusted up correctly and shifting like a dream yesterday evening. Ah, life's little victories...
Old 10-22-08, 05:36 AM
Rodeo

Bikes: Motobecane Fixed Gear, Giant OCR 2, Gary Fisher Sugar 4, Cannondale F 500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was about 38F. Not too cold but cold enough to keep the children and elderly off the MUP. Took my windbreaker off halfway and was just right with a long john top and s/s jersey.
Old 10-22-08, 06:07 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a nice high 20's ride. which is cooooold. I actually and fairly impressed with the performance of just my work clothes and a wind breaker. my upper body stays toasty.

Though when it dips below 35, my right leg gets cold. Why the right leg? I roll the pant leg up to avoid chain rub. So this weekend I might get some under-armor tights or something that washes in the shower easy to wear on the way in.

I also need to figure out how to keep my head/face/neck warm, as well as my fingers and toes.
Old 10-22-08, 06:08 AM
deanack
Cycling since 1978

Bikes: 1981 Custom Assenmacher, 27", full Campy Super Record. Canondale Tandem, 25.5"-21.5" , Giant Yukon MTN Bike 24", 2010 Trek 2.3 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
Awesome commute. Especially considering when I came home I had two bikes parked in my driveway that my Dad picked up for me. An old campagnolo and an old Royce Union. I like both frames and now want to keep them! Ahhhh!
I had a great ride in too. Campagnolo has not made bikes, I do not think. We need pics...
Old 10-22-08, 06:13 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IT BEGINS...

last nigh 35 degrees with a 30 mph head wind, that sucked....

This morning 28 degrees and snow...but at least there wasn't any freakin' wind!!

Anyway Target had their performance thermals (the ones that wick and are antibacterial) on sale, bought a pair, used them this morning...Mm, Mm, Mm, Mm, toastie!
Old 10-22-08, 06:24 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SNOW! In Vermont. Big surprise. Nothing sticking. Just some wet flakes. Mostly rain. Low 30sF. Nice tailwind shoving me along. I passed a young woman cyclist and said, "Lovely morning!" She giggled and said, "Yeah!"

Oh, it's time for my annual PSA to all northern commuters: BEWARE OF WET LEAVES.

That is all.
Old 10-22-08, 06:48 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
COLD! This was my coldest commute yet, I'm glad it was only a partial commute. My upper body was plenty warm, but my legs were cold. I wore jeans for better wind-protection, but I need something else under them.

Other than that, it was uneventful.
Old 10-22-08, 06:58 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, yeah, saw a guy riding his bike in the grassy median on the divided highway.

That had to be hard work to slog through that.
Old 10-22-08, 07:03 AM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride was nice and quiet. Still dark outside. I had some time so I take thhe long way to work. I packed my arm and leg warmers and raingear 'cause I hear that there it a coldfront and possible storms later today. Bring it!
Ernest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.