Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 09:29 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Wind noise

So I've been cycling regularly for about a year now. Prior to that I was motorcycling and always, always wore ear plugs to deal noise; primarily wind noise.

I have tinnitus and wind noise really aggravates it. Wind noise on a bicycle isn't as bad as on a motorcycle but bad enough where I'm concerned about the effects it is having. With me the ringing comes and goes generally but it seems the more I cycle, the more ringing I experience. I have considered wearing ear plugs but most of my riding is on roads with little or no shoulder and I don't feel safe not being able to hear cars approaching.

Anyone have a suggestion on ways to reduce wind noise or deal with it in some way?
Old 05-11-17, 09:36 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
For the price, these are worth a shot:
Quick Take: Cat-Ears Wind Noise Reducers | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
Same technology that field TV/film crews use, it reduces or eliminates wind noise in microphones in windy conditions. I've never used the Cat Ears, but I have used the microphone equivalent and I can tell you that it really does work.

Edit: you could also find some earplugs with lower attenuation than the ones you previously used on your motorcycle. The ones I have for "hearing protection" are rated 32 dB, IIRC.... I suppose if you found some rated at 6 or 12 dB that'd still let you hear traffic and your surroundings.

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 05-11-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 09:37 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
When it is around 50 degrees, and my ears are getting cold but I don't want the full warmth of a hat, I wear a simple headband. Wind noise really drops off and I can still hear everything perfectly.
Old 05-11-17, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I lowered it by putting a Zzipper road fairing on the front of the bike, I could hear the Books-on-Tape selection

thru my ear buds better, because of it.. (long rural commute) I could still hear approaching cars coming from the rear..
Old 05-11-17, 11:30 AM
Ogsarg

Thanks for the feedback so far. Have some Cat Ears Pro model on order. Don't mind looking a bit silly if they work.
Old 05-11-17, 11:58 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use them, they are not that noticeable, and they do reduce the noise significantly.
Old 05-11-17, 12:32 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a skullcap. Works enough for me. I suppose if that wasn't enough I could put some cloth between the cap and the ear to further cut down on noise, without going to an earplug.
Old 05-11-17, 03:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Wind noise is usually affected by turbulence. My video camera picks up much more wind noise mounted on my helmet than on my handlebar. The helmet vents produce a lot of turbulence, which the video camera mic (located under the camera, when conventionally mounted) picks up. I tried wind screens on the mic but it didn't help. The mic is accurately picking up the wind noise caused by the helmet itself. I would need to try a different helmet design, or mount the camera upside down, to reduce wind turbulence noise.

Ears produce turbulence too. I found thin fabric ear warmers this winter also reduced wind noise from turbulence without muffling road sounds.

If you don't mind the look of wearing 'em in warm weather, try some ear warmers. You might find 'em on sale cheap at places like Walgreen's and other stores that are blowing out their already inexpensive winter apparel. The ear warmers are on a springy holder that fits pretty much like lightweight headphones. I wore mine with the springy band behind my head so it didn't interfere with helmet fit.
Old 05-11-17, 06:36 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have tinnitus and use the Cat Ears. There's always a wind blowing here in central Texas and the Cat Ears do the trick without limiting hearing approaching vehicles.
Old 05-11-17, 07:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Another tinnitus but use some home made cat ears out of cotton.
Old 05-11-17, 07:25 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WINDCHARTFINAL.jpg

According to the chart above, you would need to ride at approximately 20 mph to reach 85 dBA of wind noise. OSHA regulations say you can damage your hearing with prolonged exposure to noise at this level after 8 hours.

https://www.wind-blox.com/noise-reduction-testing

According to wind blox, noise levels are approximately 70 dBA at 11-14 mph. Cat ears and wind blox products are supposed to reduce wind noise by 10-25 dBA on average. However, these products do not reduce noise levels from traffic or other sources of noise.

It couldn't hurt to give products like wind blox or cat ears a try. Then again, it seems unlikely that you can damage your hearing unless you consistently ride at high speeds (20 mph or higher) for many hours at a time, or unless you ride in extremely windy conditions on a consistent basis, again on very long rides.
Old 05-11-17, 09:13 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I use a headband over my ears sometimes. Works well. I've been thinking of trying the Cat Ears for awhile now though. Hope they help!
Old 05-11-17, 09:18 PM
speshelite
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't heard of any stories of professional cyclists having problems with their hearing as a result of cycling. A TdF rider can average upwards of 25 mph. They're riding 5 or 6 hours a day for 3 straight weeks. They descend at 50 mph and time trial at 35 mph.

If they don't have hearing problems considering how much they ride and the speeds they ride at, I tend to believe that recreational cyclists who ride at 10-15 mph probably won't have any problems either.
Old 05-11-17, 09:28 PM
speshelite
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have an iphone mount. But for those who do, you can use sound meter apps. JL Audio seems to be reasonably accurate. Take a look and see what type of noise level you are dealing with.

As a very rough guide, 85 dBA for less than 8 hours is supposed to be safe. Based on the graph I posted you'll need to be riding at over 20 mph to get in to this range.

Maybe some of you can post data.
Old 05-11-17, 11:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
SPL meters aren't very useful for wind noise situations like this. The meter can only measure ambient noise and what it picks up where it's mounted. It can't pick up localized noise caused by turbulence around the helmet, by the shape of the ears themselves, unless we rig up forms to mimic those to fit around the SPL meter mic. It can pick up turbulence around the SPL meter mic itself, but that's not an accurate indicator of what we're hearing while riding.
Old 05-11-17, 11:48 PM
speshelite
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the wind blox link. The methodology accounts for the supposed issues you discuss.

I've used a sound meter app and the figures are very close to the approximations in the graph I posted (and to the wind blox measurements as well).

To put it succinctly, there's little risk to your hearing unless you ride 22+ mph every day for 8+ hours a day.

I've tried cat ears and haven't had much luck with them. The problem is one of variable winds. Also, your helmet straps need to be very close to your ears and the location of straps varies considerably from one helmet to the next.
Old 05-12-17, 08:54 AM
Ogsarg

Thanks for the additional info. I may order a wind block if the cat ears aren't effective despite their description of it as being "technical looking". I also have some attenuators like musicians use and will try those but I think the design of them may actually make things worse.

I understand the issues surrounding hearing loss, but tinnitus is not the same thing. It often is related to hearing loss but not always. I've had my hearing tested and it's pretty good for someone my age (60).

The ringing I experience varies from almost zero to annoyingly loud and is aggravated by prolonged exposure to noise. I definitely notice it being worse after a long ride and it can last for a long time; 8 hours or more. I'm hoping reducing the volume will lessen the effect.
Old 05-12-17, 11:11 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
For the price, these are worth a shot:
Quick Take: Cat-Ears Wind Noise Reducers | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
Same technology that field TV/film crews use, it reduces or eliminates wind noise in microphones in windy conditions. I've never used the Cat Ears, but I have used the microphone equivalent and I can tell you that it really does work.

Edit: you could also find some earplugs with lower attenuation than the ones you previously used on your motorcycle. The ones I have for "hearing protection" are rated 32 dB, IIRC.... I suppose if you found some rated at 6 or 12 dB that'd still let you hear traffic and your surroundings.
I've used a couple products from Cat Ears and they do work fine. I didn't get all that much out of them since I don't have the OP's condition and am not too bothered by wind noise. I mainly wanted to hear my ear phones better.

I gave my Cat Ears "Air Streamz" to a friend who wears a hearing aid and he's a big fan.

As for ear plugs - don't mean to start a debate PLEASE, PLEASE don't start a debate. But, I've personally found that the ear plug style of ear phones actually are good for ME (NOT YOU, PLEASE DON'T START A DEBATE!). I can listen to music, and they actually help me hear traffic in that the wind noise is replaced by my music. I have an easier time distinguishing motor traffic from music than I do from wind noise. In case it's not obvious from this, I listen to the music that is at a lower volume than wind noise typically is.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE FOUND FOR MYSELF. PLEASE DO NOT DEBATE. OP is looking for ideas, I gave him one.

Originally Posted by 55murray
When it is around 50 degrees, and my ears are getting cold but I don't want the full warmth of a hat, I wear a simple headband. Wind noise really drops off and I can still hear everything perfectly.
I wear a very light, synthetic skull-hat type of stocking hat when I ride to about 45F. It covers my ears and of course eliminates wind noise. In the summer, I wear skull caps designed for cycling, ultra thin and very comfortable (and keep my helmet cleaner and my thin-haired head from getting burnt!), but they don't go over my ears. I've been thinking of taking one of the, cutting off the top to leave just a thin band that I can put over my ears in the summer. I haven't found a head band that quite works for me yet.

Looking at the Cat Ears site just now, they have a triangular thing that fits on the helmet straps to completely cover the ears. I might get one of those to try.
Old 05-12-17, 11:16 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
PLEASE, PLEASE don't start a debate.

PLEASE DON'T START A DEBATE!

....THIS IS WHAT I'VE FOUND FOR MYSELF. PLEASE DO NOT DEBATE.

Wow. What'd I ever do to deserve this?

I'm glad you have something that works for you.
Old 05-12-17, 12:59 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
Wow. What'd I ever do to deserve this?

I'm glad you have something that works for you.
Do you think my comments were directed at you? Not my intention and apologize if it came across that way. I was simply commenting on the fact that simple discussios on listening to stuff always deteriorates because the anti's just can't stand that some of us (1) enjoy listening to stuff on a bike and (2) feel we are able to be safe doing it. Like mirror and helmet advocates, they have a strong opinion and it's the right opinion by god! 8-).

With my comments I'm adding (3) for me, it's a viable and enjoyable way of dealing with wind noise.

I'm glad that you're glad that I have something that works for me.
Old 05-12-17, 01:43 PM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always grow out your ear hair, that would act like natural CatEars. If you can't, you may be able to find a place to get hair implants in your ears.

But seriously, I'm also looking for something to reduce wind noise that won't be hot or soak up sweat in these Texas summers.
Old 05-12-17, 02:23 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about something like this?

Hearos High Fidelity Ear Plugs | Musician's Friend
Old 05-12-17, 02:46 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I've used a couple products from Cat Ears and they do work fine. I didn't get all that much out of them since I don't have the OP's condition and am not too bothered by wind noise. I mainly wanted to hear my ear phones better.

I gave my Cat Ears "Air Streamz" to a friend who wears a hearing aid and he's a big fan.

As for ear plugs - don't mean to start a debate PLEASE, PLEASE don't start a debate. But, I've personally found that the ear plug style of ear phones actually are good for ME (NOT YOU, PLEASE DON'T START A DEBATE!). I can listen to music, and they actually help me hear traffic in that the wind noise is replaced by my music. I have an easier time distinguishing motor traffic from music than I do from wind noise. In case it's not obvious from this, I listen to the music that is at a lower volume than wind noise typically is.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE FOUND FOR MYSELF. PLEASE DO NOT DEBATE. OP is looking for ideas, I gave him one.

Looking at the Cat Ears site just now, they have a triangular thing that fits on the helmet straps to completely cover the ears. I might get one of those to try.

My ear phones work pretty well with blocking wind/wind noise too, while also still letting me hear traffic. I used to ride with both in my ears but lately iv mostly only been using one, so those paired with a headband are great - But for me, its not the wind noise I care so much about, its more the wind getting into my ears & causing pain.

The full coverage Cat Ears are what iv been wanting to get...Iv been hesitant though because I'm not sure if they will be close enough to my ears.
Old 05-12-17, 04:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
From misspent youth during the era that brought us the Walkman, I think my hearing is already damaged just enough to not be bothered by wind noise. I don't even really notice it until north of 25mph.
Old 05-12-17, 04:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
what wind noise?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sideburn.JPG (48.7 KB, 216 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.