Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring with a recumbent

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring with a recumbent

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 04:56 PM
lidzau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring with a recumbent

EXPERIENCES TOURING WITH GREENSPEED MAGNUM

BACKGROUND

I have just competed my first long distance tour with My Greenspeed Magnum. I am pleased to report that the Magnum performed excellently in all ways.

The tour was a 1100km+ ride through southern Spain. We experienced all road conditions from AutoVias (motorways) to minor sealed roads, gravel roads, rutted farm tracks and washed out dry river beds of loose gravel and sand. I rode over some of the steepest hills I have ever encountered. The Magnum managed all these conditions with ease, climbing steep hills at very slow speeds and taking high speed declines with great stability and comfort. I experience zero mechanical problems throughout the entire trip.

MY PHYSICAL EXPERIENCE

I purchased my Magnum after completing several long distance tours on an upright touring bike. Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms. I was hoping that the Magnum would help reduce the effects and it delivered completely on that promise. I had no physical pains at all while my two riding mates (touring on traditional upright tourers) suffered considerably and required numerous visits to physios as a result. This result alone would be sufficient to justify my decision to purchase a Magnum.

MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE

Prior to leaving I was very concerned about how the airlines would respond to the Magnum. Whether they would accept it. Whether they would levy significant charges. Whether they would insist on breaking the trike down and having to wrap it up in some way. I need not have worried. I flew with Qantas and Emirates who both accepted the trike without any need to break it down at all. I merely rolled it over to oversize baggage and that was that. When I think about the hassle I used to experience with an upright tourer (having to remove handlebars ,saddle, pedals and wheels and pack everything into a box) this was such a breeze by comparison.

I also found that the novelty of the trike caused many people to acknowledge my presence in very positive ways. Cars tooting and waving, lorries giving me a wide birth and acknowledging me with friendly toots, pedestrians staring with fascination and amusement and giving friendly waves and greetings. All of these added tremendously to the joy of the tour and I do not recall very much of this happening when touring on a conventional bike.

SUMMARY

If you are considering buying a Magnum for touring, go with it. You will not be disappointed. It is reliable, safe, comfortable and fun.
Old 10-02-18, 04:38 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lidzau
Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms. I was hoping that the Magnum would help reduce the effects and it delivered completely on that promise. I had no physical pains at all while my two riding mates (touring on traditional upright tourers) suffered considerably and required numerous visits to physios as a result.
Do any of your bikes actually fit you? I have somewhere between 30,000-40,000 touring kilometers on a regular bike under my belt and have experienced none of these issues.
Old 10-02-18, 06:16 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Dan and others who have fixated on my 'most tourers' statement. The statement was made based my own experience and observation of others. I am not interested in entering into a debate on whether it is most or some. That was not the intention of the post.
It was, in fact, a genuine attempt to provide feedback to others who might be considering their options because they are experiencing some or all of the issues that I mentioned. I am not trying to convert anyone to recumbents. If you don’t have any of these issues then I am pleased for you. If you are not interested in the recumbent option that’s fine with me.To the moderator, if what I have done is not in the sprit or intent of this forum feel free to delete my post.
If, on the other hand, anyone would like any additional info, I would be happy to oblige.
Old 10-02-18, 07:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Amtrak won't take a trike. I doubt they will take a recumbent bicycle either. Probably would have have the same issues on buses. Certainly you would have issues on local buses with racks.

It does seem like a really comfortable way to tour though I would be concerned about visibility.
Old 10-03-18, 04:56 AM
DanBell

I'm not hung up on anything, that's just the only part I had a question about and I think it's legitimate. I think recumbents are cool and I've thought about trying one some day. They seem fun and I'm certainly glad it solved your problems. I can definitely see the benefits. If 1000kms on the bike required multiple visits to a physio therapist to get my body right again then I'd be looking for a solution too, but I think I'd first look into whether my current bike actually fit me considering the millions of people who ride upright bikes big miles without it causing them serious physical damage.

Last edited by DanBell; 10-03-18 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-03-18, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
To the moderator, if what I have done is not in the sprit or intent of this forum feel free to delete my post.
Well, you did double cut and paste post in the Recumbent forum, which is not allowed. Made me think you were shilling for the manufacturer.
Old 10-03-18, 05:56 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
...me think you were shilling for the manufacturer.

I get the same impression. The report seems overly glowing and mentions bike by model-name excessively.

Hey OP, any defense that you're for real?

Last edited by BigAura; 10-03-18 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 06:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...Prior to leaving I was very concerned about how the airlines would respond to the Magnum. Whether they would accept it. Whether they would levy significant charges. Whether they would insist on breaking the trike down and having to wrap it up in some way. I need not have worried. I flew with Qantas and Emirates who both accepted the trike without any need to break it down at all. I merely rolled it over to oversize baggage and that was that. When I think about the hassle I used to experience with an upright tourer (having to remove handlebars ,saddle, pedals and wheels and pack everything into a box) this was such a breeze by comparison...

i am confused. do qantas and/or emirates require bicycles to be disassembles and packed in a box? what airline did you fly before? do you know of other airlines that require boxing of bikes but not of a GREENSPEED MAGNUM®.
Old 10-03-18, 07:18 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
LOVE GOOD NEWS about folks bicycle tours. GABBA GABBA HEY. It was your MAGNUM OPUS......arf!

I will ask: did you feel intimidated by being at the "same level as cars?" Was it difficult for you to be seen?

I have seen many people touring on recumbents, and the different styles amuse me. When you are going UP a steep hill, do you get the sensation that your legs are higher than your head?
Old 10-03-18, 08:28 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I do most all my touring on normal bikes but do have a long wheelbase of same model as below, except I have both a rear rack and an under the seat rack. I mostly taken it on shorter weekend tours and also ridden hotter than hell hundred on it twice (mostly because of a quirk: tandems and recumbents are allowed up front and my normal speed placement would place me so much further back that I would start an hour later and miss a lot of cool morning temperatures - not sure why HHH has a tandems and recumbents rule but because they do I ride this bike).

This particular model was marketed as a "recumbent mountain bike". I wouldn't do well on technical single track or if one needs to jump over logs/rocks/etc but it is pretty stable on gravel roads and similar terrain. Dual 26" wheels makes for a rather big bike in my XL size - longer even than a tandem and not easy to bring on buses or trains. When I sit on the bike, I'm taller than some small mountain bikers, so not as big a concern for visibility. I have rented a minivan or large SUV to do some one-direction rides. I had it built with S&S couplers but not used that much.

I've found it exercises different muscles so nice for variety when I am commuting with my other bikes during the week to ride the recumbent on weekends. It is a heavier bike than even my upright bikes, so tougher on short steep hills and just slightly faster on level. Also stable enough that I'm comfortable going faster downhill than my other bikes.

As far as recumbents being better or worse for touring - I say whatever floats your boat. As described above, there are some tradeoffs and perhaps for some they might find one or the other more comfortable. Not an issue for me and I'll use my recumbent more for variety. As far as this particular model goes, it isn't sold anymore and the company was a pain to deal with when I ordered the bike. So this isn't a recommendation on those fronts, though I do enjoy riding the end product.
Old 10-03-18, 03:55 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are confused!

Originally Posted by saddlesores
i am confused. do qantas and/or emirates require bicycles to be disassembles and packed in a box? what airline did you fly before? do you know of other airlines that require boxing of bikes but not of a GREENSPEED MAGNUM®.
I am equally confused. I mistakenly believed that these forums could be used to impart information and/or experiences rather than stimulate debate. My experiences are with Qantas, Emirates, BA and Virgin all of whom require bikes to be boxed meaning that saddles, handlebars pedals and at least one wheel be removed. I have no knowledge of any other airlines. I was also expressing my surprised delight that these restrictions did not apply to my rucumbent. By the way, I did not intend to imply that this only applied to my Magnum, merely that it was a Magnum in my case. I spent many months worrying about this so was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and thought that others might find this feedback helpful
Old 10-03-18, 04:05 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was I shilling for Greenspeed

Originally Posted by BigAura

I get the same impression. The report seems overly glowing and mentions bike by model-name excessively.

in retrospect I can understand how you might be given this impression. A brief review of my history on this site will reveal that I am a bit of a neophite to this approach. I was not sensitive to the nuances when posting. I have no allegiance to Greenspeed other that the fact that I purchased one of their products. The post could of course have been made without reference to the manufacturer. If I was doing it again you can be assured I would follow these guidelines, though I have to say it is unlikely I will be doing so.
Regarding the moderator's comment about posting in two discussions, the above applies. I had posted in one when I realised that there was another where the post may apply. I was not aware of the restriction mentioned. My apologies for this error.
Old 10-03-18, 04:18 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling intimidated

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
LOVE GOOD NEWS about folks bicycle tours. GABBA GABBA HEY. It was your MAGNUM OPUS......arf!

I will ask: did you feel intimidated by being at the "same level as cars?" Was it difficult for you to be seen?

I have seen many people touring on recumbents, and the different styles amuse me. When you are going UP a steep hill, do you get the sensation that your legs are higher than your head?
Thanks for you questions
this is the most common question I am asked. I do use a flag and bright rear light in anticipation of this concern. I also have mirrors so I am aware of on coming vehicles and can take defensive action, pulling over to one side or even off the road to allow them to pass. I have to say though that my experience is that oncoming vehicles see me long before any evasive action is required and universally give me a wide berth. I believe that the novelty effect outweighs any issue regarding visibility caused by height. Given some of the responses already received to my post let me be clear. These comments are only made from my own experience and are NOT based on in depth research.
re the head versus feet question - I can’t say that I have noticed this but am aware that I have to crane my neck forward more on steep hills which can be uncomfortable at first. On the other hand, because the trike is so stable, I can safely climb at much lower speeds without wavering about.
Old 10-03-18, 06:18 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trike has n buses

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Amtrak won't take a trike. I doubt they will take a recumbent bicycle either. Probably would have have the same issues on buses. Certainly you would have issues on local buses with racks.

It does seem like a really comfortable way to tour though I would be concerned about visibility.
cant speak for the US but Spanish trains will not take any kind of bike/trike. Their buses took trike without any issue tho best to book for same when you buy your ticket to secure your space.
Re visibility. See post elsewhere in this thread
Old 10-03-18, 06:25 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re bike discomfort

Originally Posted by DanBell
I'm not hung up on anything, that's just the only part I had a question about and I think it's legitimate. I think recumbents are cool and I've thought about trying one some day. They seem fun and I'm certainly glad it solved your problems. I can definitely see the benefits. If 1000kms on the bike required multiple visits to a physio therapist to get my body right again then I'd be looking for a solution too, but I think I'd first look into whether my current bike actually fit me considering the millions of people who ride upright bikes big miles without it causing them serious physical damage.
agree with everything you said. Not sure about 'serious physical damage' but certainly pain as far as they were concerned. My point was, of course, none for me when compared with my TransAm experience on upright which stimulated my move to recumbent as I was riding with a mix of both on the ride. Cheers Ian
Old 10-03-18, 06:28 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbents v upright

M
Originally Posted by mev
I do most all my touring on normal bikes but do have a long wheelbase of same model as below, except I have both a rear rack and an under the seat rack. I mostly taken it on shorter weekend tours and also ridden hotter than hell hundred on it twice (mostly because of a quirk: tandems and recumbents are allowed up front and my normal speed placement would place me so much further back that I would start an hour later and miss a lot of cool morning temperatures - not sure why HHH has a tandems and recumbents rule but because they do I ride this bike).

This particular model was marketed as a "recumbent mountain bike". I wouldn't do well on technical single track or if one needs to jump over logs/rocks/etc but it is pretty stable on gravel roads and similar terrain. Dual 26" wheels makes for a rather big bike in my XL size - longer even than a tandem and not easy to bring on buses or trains. When I sit on the bike, I'm taller than some small mountain bikers, so not as big a concern for visibility. I have rented a minivan or large SUV to do some one-direction rides. I had it built with S&S couplers but not used that much.

I've found it exercises different muscles so nice for variety when I am commuting with my other bikes during the week to ride the recumbent on weekends. It is a heavier bike than even my upright bikes, so tougher on short steep hills and just slightly faster on level. Also stable enough that I'm comfortable going faster downhill than my other bikes.

As far as recumbents being better or worse for touring - I say whatever floats your boat. As described above, there are some tradeoffs and perhaps for some they might find one or the other more comfortable. Not an issue for me and I'll use my recumbent more for variety. As far as this particular model goes, it isn't sold anymore and the company was a pain to deal with when I ordered the bike. So this isn't a recommendation on those fronts, though I do enjoy riding the end product.
agree with your 'whatever floats your boat '. Not trying to convert anyone. Just offering input. Cheers Ian’s
Old 10-03-18, 06:29 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I for real?

Originally Posted by BigAura

re overly glowing. I really can’t help it if my experience was so positive.
Re pushing Greenspeed. - see comments elsewhere in this discussion. Cheers Ian.

Last edited by lidzau; 10-03-18 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Incomplete response
Old 10-03-18, 07:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts

cant speak for the US but Spanish trains will not take any kind of bike/trike.
Total rot!

Travelling with Bicycles
Old 10-03-18, 07:50 PM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
you are absolutely right. I guess the advice I received was way off the mark. Apologies to all
Old 10-03-18, 10:40 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Do any of your bikes actually fit you? I have somewhere between 30,000-40,000 touring kilometers on a regular bike under my belt and have experienced none of these issues.
It does seem a bit unusual to go on several long-distance tours while suffering wide-spread significant pain. Also surprisingly bad luck that 2 mates on Spain tour have to visit the doctors? I'm tolerant of minor aches but if biking hurt that much I'd try another hobby.

OTOH it's good to read that folks like 'bent touring. Climbing is slower but one avoids the effort of keeping an upright bike going straight on steep climbs?
Old 10-04-18, 05:41 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
...Climbing is slower but one avoids the effort of keeping an upright bike going straight on steep climbs?...
useta have a couple of these infinity® long wheelbase recumbents. awesome fun on the flats but a real pain on hills. just couldn't get the torque as you would from a normal bike. set up with standard mtb/touring 3*9 gearing.

had a rear rack, could load up the panniers, go on long rides, not affected as much by headwinds due to lower profile. but sitting down, no way to hop over potholes and debris.

Last edited by saddlesores; 10-04-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 07:33 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
useta have a couple of these infinity® long wheelbase recumbents. awesome fun on the flats but a real pain on hills. just couldn't get the torque as you would from a normal bike. set up with standard mtb/touring 3*9 gearing.

had a rear rack, could load up the panniers, go on long rides, not affected as much by headwinds due to lower profile. but sitting down, no way to hop over potholes and debris.

I meant to write "trikes" in re climbing stability. Trikes are a bit heavier but slow-speed maneuvering & stopping is easier, also some are available with wide-range gearing & 20" wheels so I think one can get sufficient low gear. OTOH with a 'bent one always pedals in the same position. On an upright bike one can do back stretches to help relax. Pushing an upright bike uphill is fairly easy but seems a bit uncomfortable with a recumbent.
Old 10-04-18, 11:54 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
You need to realize that some people are 'macro absorbers' in terms of bike fit which means they can ride bikes with great variations in fit without issues. For these people fit is something they slap on and ride away into the sunset without issues. Examples of these people are my brother, my wife and Geraint Thomas.

Then there are 'micro adjusters' for whom a millimeter will make a huge difference and riding any longer distance with a sub par fit will cause issues. Examples of these kinds of people are me and Eddy Merckx.
For micro adjusters bike fitting is a journey which takes years and can end up in frustration and escalate into getting a bent. Nothing wrong with bents, I've considered them but they are too expensive for me atm and I like uprights.

Some people push through the pain and injure themselves in the process. Paris Brest Paris is a prime example of this where people get hand numbness and/or nerve injuries which last a long time after the event or are even permanent. But being able to push through the pain should not be acceptable. But bike fits are expensive and there is also a chance a reputable bike fitter has no idea what they are doing (recently watched GCN video where a Shimano fit rep went with KOPS to set saddle setback). So it is no wonder some people give up and go with alternative methods and saying their fit is not right is actually less than helpful. These people probably know their fit is off but also have not found a working solution because ultimately bike fitting is incredible complicated where everything affects everything.
Old 10-05-18, 04:43 AM
DanBell

Thanks for the info about macro absorbers and micro adjusters. I hadn't heard that before. I'm definitely a macro absorber and often wondered why people had so much trouble with fit. It definitely illuminates my bias here. I hardly think asking whether their bikes fit them is "less than helpful" though. We're on a forum with limited information from the OP, his entire premise was that he and his two touring partners were seriously suffering, and that most cycle tourists that he has met have the same problems. Add to that the fact that lots of people ignore or don't know about the importance of bike fit and are often unaware that the discomfort they feel can be alleviated by changes to their bike and I think it was a reasonable question to ask; I just wanted to know if they had been workng on this issue or not. We regularly have new posters come in here and talk about touring on a bike that doesn't fit them. It's a common issue.

Anyway, I do appreciate the micro/macro angle. That's interesting information and will help me be more understanding in the future.
Old 10-05-18, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have had to box and ship a few from the LBS, on the coast, it's quite time consuming ,

and being an oversize box will be a more expensive shipping cost..

SWB may be better than an LWB.. in this regard.

For time required , having the shop reassemble and tune up
the bike ready to ride when rider arrives,
a fee paid will be pretty cheap..

Here the fee is more , because the rime required is much longer.