Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Delta Brakes - The Greatest Worst Brake Ever

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Delta Brakes - The Greatest Worst Brake Ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 02:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
As far as i know, C-Rec with the Deltas were supposed to be the full-scale replacement/successor for the superrecordo, and they kept the older SR alongside it in the catalogue based on early pro riders feedback. but i stand to be corrected (now that i think of it, "C-Record" may actually mean "Crono Record").
Corsa Record.
Old 08-16-19, 06:14 PM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
I don't cut the cable first. I put it through the slot and run it off to the side of the tire and once I'm satisfied that the length is correct and everything is tightened down I cut it with a Dremel cut off disc.
I like it! I just use (used) dikes... but they’re never sharp enough.. definitely going to have to try the dremel
Old 08-18-19, 01:30 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Old 08-18-19, 08:38 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Early "3" pivot (2nd gen?); and 5 pivot; I do not know the specific generation of either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190818_081020.jpg (1.96 MB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190818_081546.jpg (2.02 MB, 213 views)

Last edited by HPL; 08-18-19 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 08-18-19, 09:29 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Delta Brake "Lock-up", Dirt Intrusion

Originally Posted by Chombi1
One thing that I do not really like about my Deltas is that they have a tendency to collect a lot of road dirt and grit inside their casings. I still remember how long it took for me to flush out all the crap in it when I was cleaning it after I just acquired the brakeset. Modolo (Kronos) and Weinmann (Delta Pro) had a good idea of providing a full rubber cover on their Deltas, that mostly sealed them from road detritus and moisture....
[QUOTE IMO the hardest issue is getting the pads close to the rims (hoping your rims are TRUE!! because the design flaw of the Gen 2 & 3 is that if the pads have to travel too far until they reach the rim then there is the possibility of the parallelogram inverting and creating an inverted 'V'. If this happens the brakes will lock up and you'll have a devil of the time trying to "unlock' it. I've never had this happen other than reading about it and "fooling" around with them on the repair stand. Gen 4 & 5 resolved this issue with the 5 pivot bolt design[/QUOTE]

To prevent dirt, etc. from entering the unit I have taken some foam rubber and installed it internally, it's not perfect, but does prevent the majority of debris from entering and makes cleaning much quicker; usually just very fine dust enters. As yet, this has not affected function.

I had not heard of the brakes potentially "locking-up" so I experimented on my early "3" pivot unit and I could not duplicate anything close to that condition. I don't know if this can happen to loose/worn assemblies, my "scissoring" mechanism is tight without any undue play; but regardless, it is impossible on my set because the lower "scissor" impacts the upper "scissor" not allowing it to achieve an "inverted V". I believe my set is a Gen.2, so I'm curious as to how this would happen on later versions.
Old 08-18-19, 10:29 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by choke
i don't cut the cable first. I put it through the slot and run it off to the side of the tire and once i'm satisfied that the length is correct and everything is tightened down i cut it with a dremel cut off disc.
+1
Old 08-20-19, 01:32 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I don't cut the cable first. I put it through the slot and run it off to the side of the tire and once I'm satisfied that the length is correct and everything is tightened down I cut it with a Dremel cut off disc.
That is also how I adjust my Delta's.
When setup correct, they stop as good as other brakes.
Likes For paulkal:
Old 08-20-19, 08:18 AM
jethin

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Holdsworth Italia
I vote for a couple more pics of this one.
Old 08-20-19, 08:25 AM
jethin

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Mic drop?
Old 08-21-19, 01:43 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
its a bit hard adjusting brake pad clearance to a specific rim that way, especially if one is too lazy to remove the tire.
Old 06-21-21, 06:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Back from the dead!

Found this thread while researching if anyone is using Kool Stop pads for their Delta Brakes. Needless to say I found this thread pretty amusing to say the least.

All I can say is that the one on my Lemond seem to work just fine with what I expect is the original pads. I really can't complain about how they have been working for me. I'm looking for new pads just because of the suspected age of the ones I have.

I'm pretty sure the kid at the LBS that set mine up had never seen them before but I did provide instructions. Either he got lucky or that aren't the "terror" to setup that so many think.

I get those that may think they're ugly even if I don't agree. But those that say they don't work seem to be wrong based on my experience. And I don't even have the new and better 5 pivot ones.

Anyway, this zombie thread was too good not to revive. :-)
Old 06-21-21, 09:20 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Maybe it's about time a new thread from the truly dark side of Delta style brakes is started.....
A thread all about Modolo Kronos Brakeset......
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 06-21-21, 10:25 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by repechage
the earlier image from steel-vintage is for those not well versed in esoteric Shimano, the 600AX. The Dura-Ace was all cast alloy but as Chombi mentioned, not top tier finished.
From a mechanical design perspective, they should have been a winner.
(actually I think they were a near mechanical copy of a brake set out of Seattle that ran a small advert in the early 70's Bicycling! magazines).
yes, I was intrigued by that advert, but never enough to order one. Power Brake with a brand name in front. I finally saw one. It could have been a contender if of better materials and lighter.
Old 06-22-21, 09:39 AM
repechage

Maybe it's about time a new thread from the truly dark side of Delta style brakes is started.....
with the super limber “control” levers
Old 06-22-21, 11:47 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
If you're going to bring up other brands.....I really wish that I had bought a pair of McMahon's back in the day.

VeloBase.com - Component: McMahon Racing Corp
Old 06-22-21, 08:33 PM
blaugusto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are very beautiful outside the bike.
Old 06-28-21, 06:13 AM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Back from the dead!

Found this thread while researching if anyone is using Kool Stop pads for their Delta Brakes. Needless to say I found this thread pretty amusing to say the least.

All I can say is that the one on my Lemond seem to work just fine with what I expect is the original pads. I really can't complain about how they have been working for me. I'm looking for new pads just because of the suspected age of the ones I have.

I'm pretty sure the kid at the LBS that set mine up had never seen them before but I did provide instructions. Either he got lucky or that aren't the "terror" to setup that so many think.

I get those that may think they're ugly even if I don't agree. But those that say they don't work seem to be wrong based on my experience. And I don't even have the new and better 5 pivot ones.

Anyway, this zombie thread was too good not to revive. :-)
i use the black Kool Stop, and they work fine. I have gen 3 deltas and never had a problem or issue with them
Likes For shoff535:
Old 06-28-21, 07:11 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Note in Gary's image, at least two versions of caliper, and three versions of lever.
(I think that is the bulk of them)
Note the variation in clearance.
He has set them up correctly where the side upper arms are flush with the main body, not sunk, not proud. Good work.
Where these get tricky is that the optimal mechanical advantage is in a narrow range of the mechanism, go outside that and curious results.
Wear the pads too much, less power.
not toe them in properly, noise.
(easier with the later holders that have an allen key set screw to assist in toe in.

A brake for the watchmaker capable mechanic.

Soldier the end of the fresh wire before cutting down to length just at and beyond the pinch bolt really helps, use flux!
Stainless cables? Silver soldier.
Given the parallellogram, my guess is that the latersl force from the parallellogram or rhombus is max when the angles are 90 degrees. That sounds like a difficult setup, if my guess is right.

If they are so junky, I'd offer $75 for a mint complete set - help you with your cleanup tasks. I'll take one of those junky sets of C-record hubs, too
Old 06-28-21, 08:24 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by shoff535
i use the black Kool Stop, and they work fine. I have gen 3 deltas and never had a problem or issue with them
I did my fastest 40 miler of the past two years on the Lemond that has these. Somehow I did survive despite a couple of incidents that caused me to hit the brakes hard. My pads do seem pretty hard though so I'm thinking I'll play it safe to get in some new Kool Stops. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-28-21, 12:08 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
For me, it's a matter of comparison. I have the most modern braking setups (to include disc on some) and the vintage brakes are "in your face" inferior in every regard. The modern rim brakes are really, really good for example.

I ran some Deltas a few years ago, and they were ok for around town stuff, but once I actually hit the mountains and actually HAD to stop, it was bad. Granted, just about every vintage brake setup leaves a lot to be desired by today's standards, some remain ok. I would never class any iteration of the Delta in the "good brakes" category.