Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Philadelphia. Got something new ordered

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 08:35 PM
06VistaBlueGT

Bikes: 2020 Trek DS 3 in Volt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,

This is my first post as I have been strolling the site for information for a new bike. Years ago (early 2000s), I had a Gary Fisher Marlin and loved it. It was given to me by a relative. Once I got it, I had it serviced and new tires and brakes done and rode A LOT! All the local non-street areas near where I grew up. Peace Valley Park in Doylestown PA, & Valley Forge Park (yes, that Valley Forge where Washington fought) and the Schuylkill River Trail that goes to the Philly Art Museum to name a few. I really got into riding. Even did the ACS ride from Philly to NJ (60 miles I think, it's been a long while).

I rode back in the early 2000s all while dealing with a bunch of serious health issues. At 16 (in 1993 I was in 10th grade) I got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. For those who don't know or heard of this, this is serious inflammation of the large intestine and bowel system. At it's worst, one can go to the bathroom anywhere from 15-30 times a day (while awake) and probably get up 6-12 in the middle of the night. This disease is AWFUL!!

I dealt with this for 8 years (I'm 6' and healthy, was about 170 lbs, but was down to about 125-130!) them had J-Pouch surgery (they removed my entire large intestine, gallbladder and appendix, put a temporary ostomy and stapled me back up). Drastic but very necessary. Had pancreatitis, and during the 2nd part of the surgery a few months later, I turned jaundice. Postponed the 2nd part (where they rehook everything back up inside and take the bag off). Had it done a few months later. Then the big eye-opener came 16 months later.

I was suffering from PSC of the liver and after 3 separate jaundice episodes, and a liver biopsy, I was put on the list for a transplant. Had it done 10/7/2003 (with a emergency bowel obstruction surgery a month later). So I've been through the ringer and then some.

Why am I talking about this? Because with all my issues and medical problems, riding my bike was my solace. It was my way of escaping the issues I had to deal with every day. It was truely therapy and I loved it. Even at my worst I still rode when I could (until I was too weak to ride).

So that brings me to this site. After reading about the different hybrid bikes, I took the plunge last Thursday Sept 26 and stopped by my local bike shop and ordered a 2020 Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt! I'm so stoked to hopefully get it later this week. Ordered some bar ends for it (my Gary Fisher had them and we're great), got the helmet I liked ordered and some gloves. Just gotta get a few little add-ons for the bike (water cage, a rear light and a small bag under the seat for my phone and keys). If anyone has any tips or helpful hints on what to look for, I would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get back into riding. Solely on bike trails (paved and packed gravel). Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post. Have a great day.

Last edited by 06VistaBlueGT; 09-29-19 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 09:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
O6Vbgt,
Man, it sounds like you've been through the grinder with all that you've gone through.
I"m certain that you will find a little solace through riding.
Riding has been of a panacea for a great many of us, after you get your bike share some pics with the members here.
Glad to have you joining us on the Forum...
My Best to you! Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-30-19, 05:20 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry that you had to go through all of this and yes, riding can bring you solace for sure. It's a great stress releaser as well and of course, good for your body physically. I hope that things continue to be good for you and that your strength to fight this and not let these things get you down becomes even stronger.

Getting that new bike certainly is a shining light in dark times so I wish you well and let it light your way.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-30-19, 08:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
Welcome to bikeforums, and I'm glad cycling can be such a positive force for you!!!
Old 09-30-19, 03:27 PM
06VistaBlueGT

Bikes: 2020 Trek DS 3 in Volt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I'm super excited to get my bike and start riding. I still deal with having Crohn's Disease now (it was always Crohn's but wasn't as bad until a few years ago, after my surgeries). I get infusion treatments to help the symptoms but nothing really working yet (I gotta give it time). But I do know I'll feel better once I'm on the bike and outside in the fresh air. Only downside is the weather is changing and soon it's gonna be cooler. I'll post some pics once I get enough posts to allow me to.
Old 10-01-19, 06:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!