Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to road cycling, experiencing a lot of pain.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 06:54 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's up guys, this is my first time posting here, and it is regarding a serious problem I'm having with "my" road bike.

Now, let me clarify why I put quotes around the my. The bike is actually my brothers, who is considerably taller than I am. I'm not sure exactly by how much, but I'd garner to say a few inches. I'm 5'6'', and weigh about 130.

Recently, my brother decided that he was going to move to mountain biking exclusively, and lent me the road bike. I instantly fell in love with it, and began to ride every single day for 3, or more hours at a time. I'm not in amazing shape, so I'd cover only about 50 or so miles during each run.

However, the bike is putting my body through hell. 5 or so minutes into every ride, my neck begins to hurt, my shoulders begin to ache, and my back starts to betray me. In fact, I never actually stop riding because I get tired, I stop because the pain gets unbearable (especially in my neck. Furthermore, I spend most of my time on the bars, as grasping even the hoods require me to stretch my entire body out (and lock my arms).

I'm guessing that the root of the problem is that the bike isn't fitted for me, or that the frame isn't my size (I believe its a 50 cm frame). I'm only 19, and I'm pretty athletic as I've played sports my whole life, so I don't think it has anything to do with my body rejecting the sport, although I could be wrong.

The bike in question is a Diamondback Podium 2.

So my question is, are my problems most likely being caused by the bike? Or am I just not built to ride road bikes?
Old 05-27-10, 06:59 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say the bike doesn't fit you. For about $75.00 you can have a bike shop do a fit. It is possible that by changing the stem, moving the saddle, etc. that the bike may fit you with out replacing it. However, if it can not be made to fit you, then consider getting a different bike.

I had to upgrade my frame because the head tube was too short and it was killing my neck. The new bike has a head tube that is 2cm taller with a 1cm taller fork and it made all the diffence. No more neck pain.
Old 05-27-10, 07:18 PM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretch.

And hell, if you start hurting 5 minutes in and go for 3 more hours, you got yourself some determination.
Old 05-27-10, 07:27 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
If he's considerably taller then chances are the frame is larger and if he were fit for a more comfortable riding position then it might be the larger side of his size range. Your description is on point with someone who is on a bike whose reach is to big for the rider and I'd venture to guess that you don't have the seatpost raised by much. It's definitely not a 50cm frame if you're stretched out at your height unless the bike has a mega long top tube; a 50cm might be on the small side of your fit range. Take it to the shop and see what they tell you, and if they start talking about stems below 90mm then you know for sure it's way too big especially if you have average proportions.
Old 05-27-10, 07:33 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
It's a fit problem. If you enjoy it and the shop can't fit you, find a bike that does. With a good seat, shorts, and a proper fit you should be able to ride all day.
Old 05-27-10, 07:44 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon, I was planning on purchasing a new bike by the end summer anyways as I wanted to join the cycling team at my school. Therefore I was thinking it would be wise for me to just ride my mountain bike for now and just put all my money towards the new bike + shoes/pedals. I figure doing the same routine (plus more, since I won't feel like smurfs are stabbing me in the neck constantly) on a heavier bike might just make me stronger so I'll be faster/climb better on a road bike.

Originally Posted by chado445510
Stretch.

And hell, if you start hurting 5 minutes in and go for 3 more hours, you got yourself some determination.
I make sure to stretch before going out, but I'll try stretching more.

I'm kind of used to the pain by now, I've always been the smaller kid in any sport I used to play in high school (football/basketball/lacrosse). I've broken...12 bones by now, cracked my head open about 3 times, and have a permanently messed up left shoulder. So I've kind of learned to just play through it. Hell, I'd go so far as to say I kind of enjoy the pain...maybe I should just stay on this bike (maybe not).
Old 05-27-10, 07:51 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
If he's considerably taller then chances are the frame is larger and if he were fit for a more comfortable riding position then it might be the larger side of his size range. Your description is on point with someone who is on a bike whose reach is to big for the rider and I'd venture to guess that you don't have the seatpost raised by much. It's definitely not a 50cm frame if you're stretched out at your height unless the bike has a mega long top tube; a 50cm might be on the small side of your fit range. Take it to the shop and see what they tell you, and if they start talking about stems below 90mm then you know for sure it's way too big especially if you have average proportions.
I'll take it into the LBS tomorrow and see what they say.

Bobthib, I'm hoping that's the case. I'm in the market for a new bike, so I hope I can find something that will let me ride all day as I really want to do that. It's just really disappointing when I have to stop after 50-55 miles because my neck hurts, not because I'm fatigued.

Speaking of shorts, I have a pair of cycling shorts that I bought from Dicks. They're "Quest" brand shorts, and they feel really uncomfortable. I was planning on buying a larger pair, thinking it would be more comfortable, but the larger pairs go down almost to my knees. Is that normal?

Thanks for all the help guys, your fast response is much appreciated.
Old 05-27-10, 08:04 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Carbon, I was planning on purchasing a new bike by the end summer anyways as I wanted to join the cycling team at my school. Therefore I was thinking it would be wise for me to just ride my mountain bike for now and just put all my money towards the new bike + shoes/pedals. I figure doing the same routine (plus more, since I won't feel like smurfs are stabbing me in the neck constantly) on a heavier bike might just make me stronger so I'll be faster/climb better on a road bike.

I make sure to stretch before going out, but I'll try stretching more.

I'm kind of used to the pain by now, I've always been the smaller kid in any sport I used to play in high school (football/basketball/lacrosse). I've broken...12 bones by now, cracked my head open about 3 times, and have a permanently messed up left shoulder. So I've kind of learned to just play through it. Hell, I'd go so far as to say I kind of enjoy the pain...maybe I should just stay on this bike (maybe not).
Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong so getting used to it usually isn't a good idea since things could get worse. When you're new to a road bike there will be a small period of time where you experience some minor discomfort early on because it's a new position to be sitting in for long periods of time, but when it gets painful you should heed the warning. Also remember to not tense your shoulders up or lock your arms; your shoulders should be relaxed and you should have a bend in your elbows instead of your arms locked out.

As for shorts it sometimes is a trial by error until you find the ones that work for you, but in my experience the more expensive ones are more comfortable and worth the expense if you plan on spending a lot of time in the saddle. I've used bibs in various price ranges and you can tell the difference between high end and low end; I recently bought a pair of Assos and on an 80 mile ride they felt as if they weren't even there.
Old 05-27-10, 08:17 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Use this if you can't afford a fitting.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
Old 05-27-10, 08:18 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong so getting used to it usually isn't a good idea since things could get worse. When you're new to a road bike there will be a small period of time where you experience some minor discomfort early on because it's a new position to be sitting in for long periods of time, but when it gets painful you should heed the warning. Also remember to not tense your shoulders up or lock your arms; your shoulders should be relaxed and you should have a bend in your elbows instead of your arms locked out.

As for shorts it sometimes is a trial by error until you find the ones that work for you, but in my experience the more expensive ones are more comfortable and worth the expense if you plan on spending a lot of time in the saddle. I've used bibs in various price ranges and you can tell the difference between high end and low end; I recently bought a pair of Assos and on an 80 mile ride they felt as if they weren't even there.
I'll look into the bibs. I never really thought about them as an option, but they do sound nice. After all, I don't want to skimp on gear that helps me protect the nether regions.

Thanks for the advice.