Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ok...ok...you win...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 09:27 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...ok...you win...

So, you hated moving with all your brothers and sisters twice in two months. You watched helplessly as your siblings were given baths and attention while you sat quietly in the corner patiently waiting. Neglected? Perhaps. Forgotten? Never! I give up, you win.

Let me clarify. I'm not talking about one of my actual children, but one of my bikes. I've made every excuse in the world not to ride or watch my weight for too long. Last Saturday, I took Big Blue (Trek T100s)and my youngest son for a little ride on the tow path. Fourteen miles later I was smiling (sore) and happy about the ride. Two days later, same players and ten miles. The next day, just me and Big Blue for eleven miles. One week after the reunion tour, I am back on the tow path with Big Blue, my son, and this time my lovely wife for ten more miles. Yesterday, I rode for 12.30 miles in 1:10. Yeah!

Why am I sharing all this with you? I need accountability. I need to lose weight again. When I signed up on this forum I weighed 269lbs, down from 285lbs or so. I have ballooned up to 313lbs and am not happy again. Too much food and beer, sitting and not enough moving. I got laid off in March, and pretty much gave up on me. My health is getting worse with high cholesterol, overweight, bulging disk in my lower back that either caused, or is caused by a cyst in the same area which is pinching my sciatic nerve causing me to be an overall cheery individual (sorry about the sarcasm). Oh, and I also have osteoarthritis in both shoulders and my lower back. Whew!

So, this is not supposed to be a whoa is me post. I have ridden fifty-seven miles in eight days, started watching my eating, cutting back on the beer (way back), and my son is going along with me on this magical weight-loss and cycling journey.

I need to tell you folks about all this so I feel accountable to someone besides myself. I kind of feel like this is kin to quitting smoking. Keep trying and eventually it will stick. I started quitting smoking in 1998 and it finally stuck in 2000. I have a renewed motivation from reading the posts on this forum, and you clydes and athenas are my support system whether you now it or not. I feel good knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. Special thanks to The Historian for his honesty and dedication as well.

I'm in Stow, OH and am not working now, so if anyone wants to go for a ride with me, give me a shout.

Thanks again for letting me get this off my chest.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog

Last edited by thestoutdog; 08-09-10 at 10:23 AM. Reason: needed to add more
Old 08-09-10, 11:06 AM
Ron B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how you feel... believe me.......but NEVER give up.....for you and your son. NEVER EVER.
Old 08-09-10, 12:03 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
The pillow and covers were holding me back this morning, but I pushed through and got 15 miles in. I know I better off for it. You have to make the commitment to the little goals. 3 maybe 4 pounds a week. Let beer become a reward. When you post 100 miles, pop a top. 200 miles a couple slices of pizza. Set some realistic and forward looking goals. This time last year I thought a 10 mile ride was heroic. Now 35 on a Saturday morning is a kick, but doesn't push me. Its fun to make progress. And you will. And emplyers will look at you better if you are in better condition. You will win in so many ways.

Hey-I used to buy a couple six packs a month. Now the six pack that I bought for the super bowl lasted two months. I saved my belly and pocketbook with a couple of good goals.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-09-10, 12:19 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron B
I know how you feel... believe me.......but NEVER give up.....for you and your son. NEVER EVER.
Thanks RonB, I will persevere.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-09-10, 12:21 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds so simple to hear you say it. Great advice Daspydyr, it will not fall on deaf ears.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-09-10, 12:50 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was out of work, I knew I should have taken the oppurtunity to spend my days out riding, but I didnt because I thought I should spend all my time looking for work. However I couldnt spend much time on the jobsearch, so I wasted my time. You certainly seem to be doing better with the exercise. You are lucky getting support from your family. I hope things are going well in the jobsearch.
Old 08-09-10, 01:04 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
When I was out of work, I knew I should have taken the oppurtunity to spend my days out riding, but I didnt because I thought I should spend all my time looking for work. However I couldnt spend much time on the jobsearch, so I wasted my time. You certainly seem to be doing better with the exercise. You are lucky getting support from your family. I hope things are going well in the jobsearch.
Thanks everyone for the employment concerns and encouragement. As to the job, I owned my own cable contracting company for over ten years, and due to the economy, or my general health, or a difference of opinion with the powers that be, I was "let go". I was planning to attend school this fall, but the VA messed up my paperwork,so I'll have to wait another semester or so. I would love to work at a bike shop hear locally to help keep the interest up, but we'll see. My wife has a good job so we should squeak by if I don't find work.

I'm not sure why I'm sharing all of this, but I'll continue to do so until I feel I don't need to, or am begged by forum members to stop.
Thanks again.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-09-10, 01:11 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
/waves hand in the air!

I too am currently not working, and live in Uniontown (by Akron) Ohio. I love riding anywhere flatish (am bad on hills). Currently an still recovering from shoulder surgery so am not allowed to ride at *all*. Please keep me in mind for future rides, whether up by you, or say the towpath, etc...

Mr DanW lives in Massillon.
Chipcom is also in this area.

May be another 3-5 weeks before I can ride - but I love company...
Old 08-09-10, 03:24 PM
lymobear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there - just remember, you didn't get that heavy overnight, you're not going to get light overnight. Just keep track of everything you eat (I didn't count M&M's for a while) and even if you slip, you always get a new start every morning. Keep at it!!
Old 08-09-10, 03:53 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most important thing you can do is want to lose the weight. Good luck on your lifestyle change. I put on pounds over 15 years and have been working them off this summer and it's been frustrating and exciting to see the weight changes. My motto is "Move more, eat less, and track closely".
Old 08-09-10, 03:57 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Hey and post before, after and "in process" pictures. Its fun to root for you along the way. Some Clydes use the thread as a journal of sorts. That can sometimes be motivating-

THE REPORT IS DUE! Nah, that would be too much like work, or school.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-09-10, 04:03 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Sounds like you're subscribing to the Deadspin 'Public Humiliation Diet Plan'. (It's tongue in cheek, a bit dark sense of humor.) I like this dude's writing, check it out: https://deadspin.com/5545674/the-publ...-diet-a-how+to

I'm in the weight loss mode right now too. It's funny how 'meta' the process is. I'm learning it's not just about exercise and diet, as much as it is about every tiny habit around my life that eventually forces me into a certain level of exercise and type of diet.

Best of luck to you. Wish me luck going from 290 to 240.

Last edited by schnee; 08-09-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 05:37 PM
big_al

Bikes: Trek 7.7 and Trek superfly Al Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know all about thinking that the guys/gals here are my support system. I truly enjoy reading the success stories and here is to you for taking the leap..
Old 08-09-10, 05:42 PM
spooner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make exercise a priority and develop it into a habit. Wake up with the sun and get on the bike and ride. After a few weeks of that you won't be able to imagine not riding in the morning.

Since you're not working you're going to battle the food thing. Sitting around all day is a recipe for snacking and over eating. Get out of the house.

If you're doing a bike ride every morning - do a walk every afternoon. Don't sit in the house watching TV or surfing the web. Walk. Get back on the path and walk. Work up to a two hour walk every day.

In the evening play with the kid. Offer to go shopping even if its just for a loaf of bread. Again, don't stay in that house. Get moving.

Change creates change.
Old 08-09-10, 05:47 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spooner
Make exercise a priority and develop it into a habit. Wake up with the sun and get on the bike and ride. After a few weeks of that you won't be able to imagine not riding in the morning.
With two small kids I ended up doing this for a week before saying screw it, now I get up at 4:45 and can get a full 20+ miles in 1:15 and be home before the family wakes. 1000 calories a day burnt before the family awakes is a good way to start a weight loss day.
Old 08-10-10, 02:18 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update, day 2. Eating less, rode 16.20mi and weigh 310.

@schnee - the 'Public Humiliation Diet Plan' is hilarious. Thanks

I appreciate all the advice. I will take a bit from each one of your ideas and hope to make a go of it.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-11-10, 12:09 PM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good work thestoutdog, keep it up!
Old 08-11-10, 01:33 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Keep it up and you're going to have to change your username to "formerlystoutdog" :-)
Old 08-11-10, 04:10 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotts
Keep it up and you're going to have to change your username to "formerlystoutdog" :-)
That would be great!

@bautieri - thanks, I would like to say, "I hope to", but I need to say, "I will".

Day 3: I didn't think I would get a ride in today, but I managed 17.03 miles in 1:34.43 hrs. 307 lbs.(yeah, I weighed myself three times). Going to try a few more calories just in case.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-11-10, 05:55 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thestoutdog
307 lbs.(yeah, I weighed myself three times). Going to try a few more calories just in case.
Weight one a day. I can sweat out a pound or two in water during a hard ride.
Old 08-12-10, 02:23 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brontide
Weight one a day. I can sweat out a pound or two in water during a hard ride.
True, thanks for that.

Day 4: No riding due to a sore hmmmm booty. I guess the tush will be broken in last, the saddle already is. 310lbs.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-12-10, 02:25 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...oh, I am going walking a bit later although I really want to ride. Sorry, just frustrated at my body.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

Old 08-15-10, 10:50 AM
cullionbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep going. Sounds like you are goiing to get it done. Its tough but your son may be your greatest ally and motivator. You are really doing this for him so that you will be around to see him grow up. I am in the same boat with health issues and a little less weight-245 at start. My son-15 has become part nutritionist paart cycling buddy.
Keep up the great work.
Old 08-15-10, 11:08 AM
carlspeed

Bikes: '06 Giant TCR2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you ridden yet today? Don't have fun (exercise) too late in the day because it makes it easier for life to throw you curve balls. Think about the goal and how much happier you were when you were thinner. Don't give up, not even for a day. Should you push yourself to the absolute max every day? Nah, but there is absolutely no reason for you to not go outside at least one time per day for a bike ride or even a brisk walk. You are doing this for your health, so that you will always be there for your son and instead of sitting on the sidelines watching him advance his own body weather it's little league, soccer, football, your goal is to be out there TEACHING him how to do it.

Keep your eye on the prize. It's the most valuable prize you can even get, and that's why it's the hardest to achieve.
Old 08-15-10, 12:53 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
chin up, Stoutdog.

Can you make it to Oil Creek State Park in PA tomorrow? I'm riding there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.