Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Aerobar Drink Bottle versus hydration + backstory

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 10:23 PM
bik3r88

Bikes: 1995 Specialized m2 comp road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up for next year - thinkin about doing an ironman. Although, in the process I should probably train for half ironman's first. I can swim 2 miles easily. My swim workouts have increased to 2.7 km now. My bike - well I've been making a lot of progress with my GURU and I'm doing STP - Seattle to Portland this year. The run... well, I'm definitely not new to it. I did cross country in high school, but that was like 5 years ago. Ran on and off during college. My last run was 7 miles, before that it was a constant 5 miles with 2-4% avg grade overall, did one 10 miles in roughly 100 mins. So I took that one pretty easy.

Anyway, just sayin, since I want to gear up, train right, and eat right, I think I'll be able to manage Ironman with as little half ironman's under my belt as possible. Maybe 1 or 2 half iron's. Could progress from olympic to half to IM.

So, everyday I'm looking for new things to add to my GURU. Here's my current setup:

GURU 56 cm carbon frame - came with GURU fork and seat post
Forte' PRO TT saddle (recently acquired)
Carbon profile integrated aerobars (not straight) - 120mm stem x 42cm wide
Zipp 606 combo wheelset - came with continental smooth tires

Drivetrain:
Shimano Ultegra 6700 50/34T crankset w/Hollowglide BB
Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-25T 10 spd cassette (still awaiting delivery)
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 spd chain
Shimano Ultegra FD and RD
Shimano Tiagra Brakeset - with carbon brake pads
Dura Ace bar end shifters (forget which model)

It's a pretty sweet build and I'm never finished with it. I acquired a sigma wireless sensor with HRM that does altitude, time, with the cadence + speed sensor on top of other simple time functions. Bottle cages are next on the list...

So, here's my thought. For a 112 mile bike ride, how often do I need to hydrate. I'm trying to control my weight flux and attempting to lose another 20 lbs. My goal is 165 ~ 170. Is hydration dependent on weight? body fat? Or necessity by the hour? Also, what are your guys' thoughts on the water bottle that gets fitted against the aerobars? Is it worth it? Should I get the bottle cages for the rear seat as well? Top Tube maybe? Any recommendations for those types of bottles (for minimizing weight added to the bike)? Striving for light as possible on top of losing 20 lbs.
Old 05-30-12, 12:06 AM
tasr

Bikes: 2010 Felt B12 w/Shimano Ultegra and ZIPP 808’s, 2007 Scott CR1 Equipe w/Campagnolo Chorus, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp w/Shimano 105/Ultegra, 1991 Kestral 200SC w/Shimano Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to do an Ironman distance.

Hydration depends on the individual. You will need to test this in your training well before your Iron distance race. My thought is; figure 1 bottle (24oz) per hour for starters. IMO it really depends on your fitness, effort, the temps and conditions.

I have downed over 234 oz of fluids - x2 (2 Zefal Magnum 34oz and 2 24oz bottles) on and 125+ mile rides with 9-10,000ft of ascent @ 96+ degree weighing in @165’ish lbs.
Old 05-31-12, 04:35 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in consideration of hydration setups, here are some of the big things that come to mind:
1. drinking enough(and concurrently getting enough calories)
2. ease of use(kind of goes hand in hand with 1)
3. course availability
4. aerodynamics, weight

Unfortunately, a lot of these variables are in a sort of "tug of war." Arguably, the most aerodynamic setup is a standard bottle in between the arms and nothing else on the frame, etc. As seen here: https://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...5jp-670-75.jpg

The problem seems to be that you need to break the aero position to use it and as a result may be more hesitant to drink.

The most convenient options for a lot of people tend to be anything that sticks a straw in your face. There are numerous options, Speedfil has 2, Torhans has 2, Profile Design has 2(or 3), etc. Typically, these are great for convenience, and getting people to take in necessary fluids without breaking from their aero position. I personally, would go for the speedfil A2 or Torhans, as these are fairly "aero neutral" whereas the Profile Design options and the abomanation of the original Speedfil tend to slightly negate aerodynamics.

Even with an up front unit, for IM it's nice to have a spare bottle location where you can have a JIC bottle. Aerodynamics of frame bottles tends to vary by the frame whether its better to have it on the seattube, downtube or behind the seat. Most people who go to the tunnel and test this, tend to find that a bottle, horizontally pointed and located close to the ass tends to be pretty good. Like Chris Lieto: https://triathlon.competitor.com/file...71-632x421.jpg

I've used a lot of stuff, and personally I'm thinking of getting an A2 next. It just seems like the best of both worlds for MY needs. If I did long course racing, I'd do a Chris Lieto style bottle.
_____

As far as hydration amount, it depends on lots of variables. Some of which you can know, like weight. A good way to get on the right track is to check the amount of weight you lose on an hour run(use an accurate scale). I think tasr is right that starting with 24 ounces and expirementing should get you in the ball park. I'm a small guy at about 135-140 and 18 ounces an hour is about right for me.