Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Tour de France - Stage 1 - Liege - Seraing - Sunday July 1

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 01:42 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 06-30-12, 08:13 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling this stage is going to do some kind of damage. I don't know what, but we shall see
Old 06-30-12, 08:14 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sagan
Old 06-30-12, 08:27 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reef58
I have a feeling this stage is going to do some kind of damage. I don't know what, but we shall see
It's not uncommon for people to be over-eager and cause stupid crashes on the first stage.

Just hope Wiggins, Horner, and Vinokourov don't crash out this time.
Old 06-30-12, 10:18 PM
dstrong 

40% chance of rain.

Old 07-01-12, 07:19 AM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I LOVE that the Tour has begun, this is the best time of the year! That said, I'm not sure I enjoy special yellow bikes for whoever is in yellow during the race. For the final stage, the ride into Paris, it's cool. While the race is in progress, it just feels wrong.
Old 07-01-12, 08:55 AM
dstrong 

I don't mind the yellow bike...the yellow helmets are another matter. I preferred the red numbers on the leaders of the team competition. Me thinks the helmet manufacturers were behind this latest change.

Old 07-01-12, 11:08 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Sagan
Wow.
Old 07-01-12, 12:15 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called it before the race finished that sagan would pop off and win it, just didn't think he'd be such a ***** about it...I kind of don't like him anyways...hope those guys teach him a good lesson out there...wheel sucker
Old 07-01-12, 12:18 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I didn't care for how he leeched Cancellara's wheel for the last few kms without offering any help, then pull out in front for the last few meters. It was not an honorable way to win IMO. Cancellara must be steamed for being played for a chump.
Old 07-01-12, 12:32 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
I didn't care for how he leeched Cancellara's wheel for the last few kms without offering any help, then pull out in front for the last few meters. It was not an honorable way to win IMO. Cancellara must be steamed for being played for a chump.
It was either sprint it out with the field or sprint it out vs sagan. He couldve let the field catch back up but I think 2nd is better than nothing. To me, thats just Sagans style, which I don't care for. Some might call it smart, I just call it being a *****. We have a guy thats a pretty damned good rider here locally and he pulls the same crap just to make himself feel/look better...there are ways to work around that...purposefully putting other riders between you and them and pushing a drop. Sagan seems to be real good at being in the right spot at the right time and is very opportunistic
Old 07-01-12, 12:36 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have to understand that at that point everybody was going full gas... sagan is not a climber, FC neither but he is super strong to come up with stuff like the one he did today. Sagan sure was full gas and probably he was almost going to his wheel, the prove of it is that where ever FC moved, sagan was moving aswell, you just follow the wheel by inertia, when you have some in the tank you dont do that at all. The reason for FC to tell him for going to the front was to burn him. FC cant sprint compared with sagan so he needed to make him work at the front to smoke him from behind or at least to have more chances in a sprint with a weaker sagan. So, no way sagan was going to work at front at all.
Old 07-01-12, 12:42 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
You have to understand that at that point everybody was going full gas... sagan is not a climber, FC neither but he is super strong to come up with stuff like the one he did today. Sagan sure was full gas and probably he was almost going to his wheel, the prove of it is that where ever FC moved, sagan was moving aswell, you just follow the wheel by inertia, when you have some in the tank you dont do that at all. The reason for FC to tell him for going to the front was to burn him. FC cant sprint compared with sagan so he needed to make him work at the front to smoke him from behind or at least to have more chances in a sprint with a weaker sagan. So, no way sagan was going to work at front at all.
I think FC can hang with Sagan in a sprint...wouldve been nice to see cav up there.
Old 07-01-12, 01:09 PM
kiloRH

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know where to see total elevation gain for each stage? The profiles never give it.
Old 07-01-12, 01:17 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
A little cheap, but I don't think he was looking to play Cancellara.

I think he was worried Boassan Hagen would make it across and he wanted to save everything for the sprint against Edvald. Among those three, Spartacus was the only one who had an interest in gaining a time gap.
Old 07-01-12, 01:35 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I didn't know if the Slovak Chicken Dance was a form of atonement.
Old 07-01-12, 01:37 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some of you guys just crack me up. It's a bike race, not a game of pass the parcel. If you're smart enough to sit in until you can jump for the line, that's to your credit. There's nothing "dishonourable" or "cheap" about it, the idea is to be first across the line.

That was a finish for very strong men. Most impressed with Sagan, the kid has brains as well as balls.
Old 07-01-12, 02:01 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Well, he got his stage win, so I guess that's all that matters to him. The rest of the field knows how he plays, though, so he can forget about getting any help if he finds himself in a breakaway without his team. Long term, what he did today may hurt his chances for future wins more than he realizes. Not sure I'd call that smart racing for someone so early in his career.
Old 07-01-12, 02:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anyone know the incline of that final kick-up? I see that the profile graphic says 4.7%, but there was one section of a 100m or so that looked hella steep.
Old 07-01-12, 02:22 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
wheel sucker

sounds like all of nascar.

Look, its the way the game is played, its physics at work. Why would Sagan drag Fabio to the line? They are not teammates!
If you don't want someone to jump from behind you then ride off the front and shake him loose.
If you can't then look for his jump and match/beat him.
Or, don't tip your hand early and stay on his wheel and get the jump on him if you think you can.

Fabio was asking Sag to take a pull at the front to help him get freebie seconds for the yellow jersey. That's up to Sag to agree or not, he chose no. Big deal.
Old 07-01-12, 03:11 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, he got his stage win, so I guess that's all that matters to him. The rest of the field knows how he plays, though, so he can forget about getting any help if he finds himself in a breakaway without his team. Long term, what he did today may hurt his chances for future wins more than he realizes. Not sure I'd call that smart racing for someone so early in his career.
Sorry, this is nonsense. Sagan isn't going to be going on big breaks in stage races, it is already clear that he isn't that style of rider.

As for "the rest of the field knows how he plays...", well, the rest of the field know how Cavendish, and Goss, and Greipel works. Is anyone complaining because they don't waste their time towing the peloton along?
Old 07-01-12, 03:23 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
I called it before the race finished that sagan would pop off and win it, just didn't think he'd be such a ***** about it...I kind of don't like him anyways...hope those guys teach him a good lesson out there...wheel sucker
These reactions were what mine were. And I liked how Sagan rode in the TOC so have been a fan...but today I felt he was wheel sucking and the chicken wing thing at end seemed appropriate in a way.
Old 07-01-12, 03:32 PM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
That was a finish for very strong men. Most impressed with Sagan, the kid has brains as well as balls.
No balls at all! I don't mind the chicken $hit move at the end, but don't celebrate like you did something wonderful in a victory except to wheel suck and out sprint a timetrialer who pulled your sorry a$$ to the line.
Kudos to Spartacus for a good attack and a good finish.

Wait 'til tomorrow, Sagan will be lucky to finish top 5
Old 07-01-12, 03:51 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
sounds like all of nascar.

Look, its the way the game is played, its physics at work. Why would Sagan drag Fabio to the line? They are not teammates!
If you don't want someone to jump from behind you then ride off the front and shake him loose.
If you can't then look for his jump and match/beat him.
Or, don't tip your hand early and stay on his wheel and get the jump on him if you think you can.

Fabio was asking Sag to take a pull at the front to help him get freebie seconds for the yellow jersey. That's up to Sag to agree or not, he chose no. Big deal.
+1 Honor has nothing to do with strategy at the finish line. I admire Sagan as a strong and smart rider, same as I admire Fabian for the same reasons.
Old 07-01-12, 03:57 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, whats the meaning of Sagan's chicken wings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.