Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Officially Car Free now!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Officially Car Free now!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 11:52 AM
Blylan
Wandering Around

Bikes: 1981 Katakura Silk Speedmaster, 2012 Fuji Feather, 2015 Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Officially Car Free now!

I haven't used my car for over 18 months.

I kept it around for emergencies and just as a familiarity factor.
I had a car for ten years.. How could i survive without one!

I quickly realized this thing would fall apart if i left it sitting in my driveway. So i lent it to friends and family whenever they needed a vehicle.
It was like a personal rental service fueled by trades and bartering.

This winter time though i found out my grandma couldn't repair her current car and was stuck at home.
So i did what any grandson would do and gifted her my vehicle. She was very apprehensive initially. Didn't want to take my transport. Didn't want to take something from me in general.
I told her just give it a spin, try it out. Later that day she drove it home.

Even though i haven't used my car in a year and a half. It definitely is a different feeling not even having the option any more.

I'm not concerned! Happy to fully and officially join you all!
Old 01-12-15, 03:43 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations on becoming car-free. I had a car that I put 20 miles on in 8 years before I finally sold it. So I know what you've gone through.

Extra points on giving the car to your grandmother.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-12-15, 03:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Nicely done. I think if I lived in the Bay Area, I'd want to bike everywhere, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-12-15, 06:31 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Good story.

I find the success stories on this forum are usually from people who live in cities with access to public transit. Has anyone noticed this too?

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 01-14-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 09:45 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blylan
Even though i haven't used my car in a year and a half. It definitely is a different feeling not even having the option any more.
No... it's just the new normal. Sort of like when mom took the training wheels off your bike and you realized you could fly!!

Congrats and welcome aboard!!
Old 01-12-15, 09:49 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I find the success stories on this forum are usually are usually from people who live in cities with access to public transit. Has anyone noticed this too?
Well of course. When you consider that greater than 50% of NYC household don't have cars... I once lived in the country for 6-8 months and found being carfree extremely difficult. I know some people can do it, but so much easier in the city... I would have a hard time without a car if it weren't for public transit.
Old 01-13-15, 12:33 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Good story.

I find the success stories on this forum are usually are usually from people who live in cities with access to public transit. Has anyone noticed this too?
Since most Americans live in cities, it should be no surprise that you are seeing more people succeeding who live in cities. However, access to public transit is an eye-of-the-beholder situation. Technically, my city has a bus system. In reality, the only people on the bus are college students (required to buy a bus pass as part of the student fees) and bums (many are given free passage). It's not a system that sees people using it to get to work/shopping/entertainment. There's moves afoot to improve it; hopefully they will succeed.
Old 01-13-15, 12:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Good story.

You're right in general. It's a lot easier to be carfree if you have occupation, retail, and leisure facilities close to hand--and especially if you have halfway decent public transit.

That said, I have lived carfree in rural/small town settings a few times, with varying degrees of success.

A small town is one of the best places to be carfree IF you don't work outside the town. A town of 8-10,000 population will usually have Walmart, cinema, a handful of restaurants, and maybe even a hospital. Almost everything is within five miles, which makes the bike a very good option. Day trips to a larger city are usually feasible with public transit or car rental.

Rural carfree living (for me) was successful when I was young and unemployed. I got a ride to the grocery store very two weeks, and walked four miles to a general store at other times. A bike would have been better, but this was in my pre-bike days.

Anyhow, sorry, I guess this is kinda off-topic. Congratulations to Blylan!! You're a good grandson, and I hope you like being carfree.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-13-15, 09:08 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
I once lived in the country for 6-8 months and found being carfree extremely difficult. I know some people can do.
I don't live too far from town, the by-pass brought things closer. A trailer makes it possible for me to do without help from neighbors. The closest bus stop is almost 40 miles away and wouldn't take me anywhere I want to go. Cheryl's insurance company providing a van to billable doctor visits makes life a lot easier.

I did the car ownership thing for 43 years before giving up.
Old 01-14-15, 07:08 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Well of course. When you consider that greater than 50% of NYC household don't have cars... I once lived in the country for 6-8 months and found being carfree extremely difficult. I know some people can do it, but so much easier in the city... I would have a hard time without a car if it weren't for public transit.
All you need is close access to food and work and you can be carfree. I was thinking even in cities with good public transit, more than 50% of the population still owns a vehicle. The traffic jams in New York city are from New Yorkers!
Old 01-14-15, 09:06 PM
bluegoatwoods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations. And I second the 'extra points' for being a good grandson.

I'd go car free at the drop of a hat. But I have a wife and kids who just aren't so much in love with biking.

So I'm stuck with being car light. But at least I'm good at that, even if my family isn't.

But anyway, I'm happy for ya'.
Old 01-24-15, 12:46 AM
theery

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Cannondale CAAD9, Tom's Cargo Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So funny, that story sounds so familiar. Just what I went through a year or so ago... car sitting in driveway, paying (insurance, registration, etc.) while it falls apart due to lack of use. Feels so good to get rid of it, in so many ways, doesn't it? I've never looked back, and sounds like you haven't either. Congrats!
Old 01-24-15, 01:20 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blylan
I haven't used my car for over 18 months.

I kept it around for emergencies and just as a familiarity factor.
I had a car for ten years.. How could i survive without one!

I quickly realized this thing would fall apart if i left it sitting in my driveway. So i lent it to friends and family whenever they needed a vehicle.
It was like a personal rental service fueled by trades and bartering.

This winter time though i found out my grandma couldn't repair her current car and was stuck at home.
So i did what any grandson would do and gifted her my vehicle. She was very apprehensive initially. Didn't want to take my transport. Didn't want to take something from me in general.
I told her just give it a spin, try it out. Later that day she drove it home.

I'm not concerned! Happy to fully and officially join you all!
Good for you... I think you'll find you made the right decision. Before I gave up my last car, which I used maybe once a month, I calculated that I was spending $45-$90 per hour just on insurance for every hour I drove it. Stay safe out there...