Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why No Comfort All Trail Type Bikes With Top End Gearing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why No Comfort All Trail Type Bikes With Top End Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 12:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked 8,166 Times in 3,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You might want to look through their post history before you rush to defend them. Even then, this one thread. Whee doggie. What a mess. New to it all? I don't think so. People that talk about carbon framesets and electronic shifting are not, 'new to it all' and should deffo know most of the basic vernacular and conventions. No excuse for all of this confusion and the enemies it creates.
I didn't look thought his post history before. I have now, and I remember some of those threads. I still don't get "troll".
Old 04-11-24, 12:27 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm a bit late to this conversation, but it's interesting to note that a lot of 'hybrid / fitness / urban' bikes have very short reaches to provide an upright riding position. This makes their frame geometries actually rather similar to some gravel bikes. The Trek FX and Checkpoint mentioned above are a good example. Looking at the geometry specs the frame reach and stack are within 1 cm for comparable sizes of the two bike models. A similar sort of comparison can be made between the Specialized Sirrus X (hybrid) and Diverge (gravel) bikes, and probably between hybrid and gravel offerings from other manufacturers as well. This means that if you don't mind tinkering then bikes with these sorts of geometries are reasonable targets for drop bar to flat bar conversion (or vice versa).

Of course it's easier / simpler / cheaper to just buy the bike you want and not mess about with modifications, but if like the OP you can't find what you're looking for this does open up the options a bit.
Old 04-11-24, 12:49 PM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
These are my current drop bars
Old 04-11-24, 01:38 PM
MikeDeason

Lots of really great advice here. Many thanks.
Old 04-11-24, 01:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I want the eTap over the included gearing because as I understand it I can shift under load, which sounds great for pumping up a hill and the shifts, I assume, would be smoother, faster and more accurate. Plus it looks cool and I think it would get me out for more fitness rides.
Mechanical shifting can shift under load every bit as well as eTap. Looking at the derailleur, the mechanical bits that actually make the shift happen are the same on both mechanical and electronic systems, particularly when it comes to rear derailleurs
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-11-24, 02:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4997 Post(s)
Liked 8,166 Times in 3,862 Posts
These are my current drop bars
Those are not drop bars.
Old 04-11-24, 02:18 PM
MikeDeason

Bad joke. They put you more upright than the flat bar. When I want to go low I grab the flat bar.

The bar ends are actually for my wife who gets this bike when the new one arrives. She likes an upright stance more than I do.
Old 04-11-24, 03:03 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A lot also depends on how close you are to "average" in your dimensions. If you've got really long legs but a short torso and/or arms, then you might go with a smaller frame than your inseam would suggest, but that gives you lower stack height and to get comfortable you might need a stack of spacers and an upturned stem. But if that's your problem, you'd want to go for a bike that already has a fairly high stack and short reach. Putting the guy I've just described on a downsized aero bike, then having to raise the bars several inches just looks... off.
Dave Moulton said on his blog some years ago that, after several years of sizing customers to his frames, he arrived at the conclusion that the customer's height was almost always a reliable indicator of the proper frame size. Long legs meant short torso; short legs meant long torso. Knowing the customer's overall height, he said, got him in the ballpark for both the seat tube and top tube lengths.

That blog post received many disputatious replies. I'll just note that I came to the same conclusion fairly early in my bike shop days. I also figured out that, usually, the appropriate frame size for the (racing) bike increased a centimeter for every inch of increased height (compared to my own height).

I think Kontact said that he noticed the same relationship early in his shop days. Though I might be misremembering. If so, apologies.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-11-24, 03:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10456 Post(s)
Liked 11,948 Times in 6,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Dave Moulton said on his blog some years ago that, after several years of sizing customers to his frames, he arrived at the conclusion that the customer's height was almost always a reliable indicator of the proper frame size. Long legs meant short torso; short legs meant long torso. Knowing the customer's overall height, he said, got him in the ballpark for both the seat tube and top tube lengths.

That blog post received many disputatious replies. I'll just note that I came to the same conclusion fairly early in my bike shop days. I also figured out that, usually, the appropriate frame size for the (racing) bike increased a centimeter for every inch of increased height (compared to my own height).

I think Kontact said that he noticed the same relationship early in his shop days. Though I might be misremembering. If so, apologies.
Most people live in the middle of the distribution.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-11-24, 10:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I've been riding bikes for a pretty long time, and have ridden lots of bikes in lots of conditions, but I've never ridden a bike were backpedaling was required to shift. That sounds like something isn't working correctly.
You should try an automatic 2spd “kickback” hub, because that’s exactly how they work!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-11-24, 11:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked 1,917 Times in 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You should try an automatic 2spd “kickback” hub, because that’s exactly how they work!

mid 60’s Deluxe Sting Ray with 2 speed Bendix rear hub - outstanding ride !
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-12-24, 02:38 PM
MikeDeason

If you're not coasting or stopped, you get a guaranteed seamless shift with a slight backpedal on the Alfine. It's a habit now, I don't even think about it.

I am looking forward to being able to shift while pumping the pedal on the SRAM Eagle AXS. The only real complaint I've read about is shifting with gloves and in winter I do ride with heavy mitts.
Old 04-12-24, 02:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,546 Posts
Well, after visiting 2 bike shops this morning I'm flip-flopping again and ordering an Orbea Alma M-Ltd with the rigid fork and the SRAM Eagle AXS. It was sold to me as a good mix of gravel/road with the right tire and seating adjustments that I am assured will be included once the bike arrives. Here's hoping as it's a custom order so no returns.
what is plan for packing stuff for your commute? back pack?

Old 04-12-24, 03:52 PM
MikeDeason

All my work is on my office computer and I keep a change of clothes there. Just the dog in a front facing carrier.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 04-12-24, 04:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7658 Post(s)
Liked 3,501 Times in 1,849 Posts
Dog doesn't look very aero. You should shave it to save watts.