Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Seat locking skewer

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Seat locking skewer

Old 01-06-12, 02:42 PM
smulx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat locking skewer

Hi

Just signed up as I got a new bike today and have a question. I got a Rockhopper and the shop fitted the extras I bought like lights and mud guards. I also got a set of Kingfisher locking skewers. The shop fitted the locking skewers to the wheels but said the one for the seat didn't fit. I thought they would have known this when I ordered everything so I was a bit annoyed, but nothing I can do about it now.

Can anyone recommend a locking thing for the seat so I can get rid of the quick release?

Thanks
Old 01-06-12, 04:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
if the seat post has a removable collar , you can get a whole different collar.

Otherwise, I'd suggest just getting a long enough bolt and a nut...
the fact that you will need a wrench on both ends, because the bolt will just rotate
if all you have to Nick a saddle is one, is the security improvement I.s think..

Yea, there are Pinhead and other replacements for the skewer of a seat post QR

Hit up the Bike shop and see what they can get.

people have used their old bike chains and covering innertubes, to go between the seat rail
And a frame tube , It will do it too.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-06-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 04:25 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
if the seat post has a removable collar , you can get a whole different collar.
This is the only thing I've ever had to do. If your collar is threaded, you'll have to do the same.
Old 01-07-12, 04:39 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm found of Pitlock locking skewers/seat collars.
Old 01-07-12, 04:45 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just use a nut and bolt. You only have to set the saddle height once, and it avoids the need to take the saddle with you whenever you leave the bike. QR saddles are more trouble than they're worth IMO.
Old 01-07-12, 07:24 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
Just use a nut and bolt. You only have to set the saddle height once, and it avoids the need to take the saddle with you whenever you leave the bike. QR saddles are more trouble than they're worth IMO.
+1 - get a bolt collar, set the seat height and forget it. QR's on seats posts make no sense to me if you are the only one riding the bike. Keep a multitool with you and if you have to remove the seat for some reason, or adjust the height, you can.
Old 01-07-12, 08:21 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smulx
...Can anyone recommend a locking thing for the seat so I can get rid of the quick release?

Thanks
How about just taking the thing back and have them replace it. They are only about $5. Of course you could go bling for a Thomson.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=71963

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=36479
Old 01-07-12, 08:27 AM
veloronfla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Old 01-07-12, 12:26 PM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a short length of chain threaded through the seat rails, through the frame - and then rejoined with a chain tool - all wrapped with an length of skinny road inner tube. Bit of a hack - not entirely secure - but I thought it was neat as in all likelihood you have this stuff lying around.
Old 01-07-12, 10:46 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Am I missing something? I thought he wanted to get rid of the quick release collar. Why would you want to put a chain between your saddle and frame when the simple cheap solution is to get a non quick release collar?
Old 01-08-12, 09:22 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Like others have mentioned you can use a spare chain through the seat rails and frame. It may be a cheaper solution than chainging the the quick release bolt or collar especially if you have it lying around.

The saddle leash by bikeregistry or something similar is also an alternative.

Personally I would like both as most people I don't think actually want the seat post but the saddle. A saddle is usually more expensive to replace (depending on the saddle) than the seat post.
Old 01-11-12, 04:47 AM
smulx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Am I missing something? I thought he wanted to get rid of the quick release collar. Why would you want to put a chain between your saddle and frame when the simple cheap solution is to get a non quick release collar?
You're right lol, I want to get rid of the QR so I'm not sure what people think I'm trying to do. First couple of replies are what I was looking for. I already have a locking skewer that requires a special key to loosen but it wont fit the bike at the moment. I didn't realise the seat post collar would be easily replaced but now that I know, I'm going to try and get one today. The one I have has one small hole and one big one and the locking skewer I have wont fit through the small hole.
Old 01-11-12, 05:03 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Even if you do get a collar to replace the QR system you have now, unless it's something that requires a weird key I'd be minded to secure the saddle anyway. What I do with my bikes (one with a QR collar and one without) is use a steel cable to secure the front wheel to a D-lock through the back wheel, and a padlock locks one of the saddle rails to the cable.

It provides an extra degree of security for the sake of carrying a padlock - even without a QR seatpost collar if someone is minded to go out stealing saddles (especially if you've got a decent one) they could easily have an allen key with them.
Old 01-11-12, 08:14 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
they could easily have an allen key with them.
And they could just as easily have cutting pliers with them for your cable, or bolt cutters for your padlock.

I'm still shuddering at the thought, but arriving at work on Monday afternoon this week, I found a fully-charged cordless angle grinder abandoned in the parking lot. I never thought I'd see the day, but now I can add, that someone could just as easily have an angle grinder with them to slice off your D (or U) lock.

At some point you just have to say "good enough". We all get to choose that point for ourselves.

I don't know what I'm going to do with a nice Ryobi cordless angle grinder, but I now own one.
Old 01-11-12, 08:31 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I don't know what I'm going to do with a nice Ryobi cordless angle grinder, but I now own one.
How about a part-time gig as a bike thief? Set your own hours. Be your own boss.
Old 01-11-12, 11:41 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
And they could just as easily have cutting pliers with them for your cable, or bolt cutters for your padlock.
They could, although an allen key that would detach a seatpost in order to steal it takes up a lot less space than a heavy duty bolt cutter. Someone fiddling with a seatpost doesn't arouse suspicion in the same way that someone wielding a bolt cutter would.

I agree we all have to figure our own "good enough" point although, given the relative ease of putting a couple of allen keys in your pocket or carrying around an angle grinder, my "good enough" point would require more than an allen key to thwart.
Old 01-11-12, 11:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I like having a QR seatpost binder. Salsa makes a high quality one, but it's not cheap.

My knees are particularly sensitive to saddle height, and different shoes have slight, but noticeably different thickness of soles, changing the saddle to pedal distance. Summer shoes have the thinnest soles, then winter shoes, and then winter boots with the thickest.

The weather around here varies enough that I switch between shoes frequently, and sometimes forget to move the saddle to correspond. After a couple miles, I start to notice my knees if the height saddle is off. The QR makes for a fast saddle adjustment.