Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying at LBS a Brand they Don't Carry

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-15-20, 09:12 AM
friendlyguy1234

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a new bike and have chosen the bike that I want. There is an LBS that I want to support near me and I want to order the bike through them, but they aren't an official dealer of that brand. Can I still order that bike through them? Many thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-20, 09:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by friendlyguy1234
I am looking to buy a new bike and have chosen the bike that I want. There is an LBS that I want to support near me and I want to order the bike through them, but they aren't an official dealer of that brand. Can I still order that bike through them? Many thanks in advance!

Ask the shop.
Old 01-15-20, 10:19 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
At my local LBS, I was talking just casually about the bike I'm interested in (a brand that they don't carry), and they volunteered to get it for me to buy. I told them I'd keep that in mind. Later on though, it occurred to me that having the correct size requires trying at least two of them. Would they be willing to get the two different sizes? I might even rather try the bike and then have them order me the frame (comes in a more preferable color) with other components (especially the wheels) to make up a more optimal bicycle. It's either this or drive 45 minutes to an official dealer of the brand.
Old 01-15-20, 10:33 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Based on my experience, no. YMMV.
Old 01-15-20, 11:38 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If you do, be aware the manufacturer will likely consider it second-hand and you'll be without a warranty from day one.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-15-20, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Old 01-15-20, 03:02 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I read the title and knew it would be a one post noob dragging bait across our turgid waters. There are plenty in standing in line to take the bait and give it a drag screaming run. Does anyone really create an account on an internet forum to ask a bunch of people who know nothing about a bike dealer whether the dealer will order something the dealer doesn't stock? When in less time and effort they could ask the dealer who will know what they will and will not do? Don't take the bait.

I predict 4 pages.
Old 01-15-20, 03:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
You seem like a friendly guy, so ill answer you with politeness.
Nobody here knows since we dont knowingly work at the shop from where you want to buy.

Do you also try to buy a new Ford from a Chevy dealer?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-15-20, 03:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I read the title and knew it would be a one post noob dragging bait across our turgid waters. There are plenty in standing in line to take the bait and give it a drag screaming run. Does anyone really create an account on an internet forum to ask a bunch of people who know nothing about a bike dealer whether the dealer will order something the dealer doesn't stock? When in less time and effort they could ask the dealer who will know what they will and will not do? Don't take the bait.

I predict 4 pages.

I'm good with my 3 word response.

Even if this is a troll, if it turns out that someone has actually bought a bike this way, I'd be interested in the story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-15-20, 03:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Nyah
At my local LBS, I was talking just casually about the bike I'm interested in (a brand that they don't carry), and they volunteered to get it for me to buy. I told them I'd keep that in mind. Later on though, it occurred to me that having the correct size requires trying at least two of them. Would they be willing to get the two different sizes? I might even rather try the bike and then have them order me the frame (comes in a more preferable color) with other components (especially the wheels) to make up a more optimal bicycle. It's either this or drive 45 minutes to an official dealer of the brand.

Are you still in the process of deciding?
Old 01-15-20, 05:02 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you still in the process of deciding?
About this bike model? Yes.
About my purchasing plan? Not really. A retailer that doesn't normally carry a particular brand is most likely NOT going to order the two bike sizes that the customer needs to try in order to determine which size fits best (unless it's a bike that they like, I guess. Do retailers usually like touring bikes? Not in my experience).
Old 01-15-20, 05:23 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I tried to support my local business but it is outrageous imo. Not a bike but related as far as components.

I needed a rim to build a new wheel. The rim was $80, my local shop did not carry it but said they could order it for me.

$80 rim
$15 shipping
$10 service fee................$105

I went online, found a good sale (same exact rim) and payed $60 shipped.

I wonder if they would charge a shipping fee for a bike as well?!

It pays to roll your own!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-15-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 05:53 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I tried to support my local business but it is outrageous imo. Not a bike but related as far as components.

I needed a rim to build a new wheel. The rim was $80, my local shop did not carry it but said they could order it for me.

$80 rim
$15 shipping
$10 service fee................$105

I went online, found a good sale (same exact rim) and payed $60 shipped.

I wonder if they would charge a shipping fee for a bike as well?!

It pays to roll your own!

And if you have the skills to provide your own product support, this is terrif. But most people cannot do that and will end up at some point, as with any bicycle, needing something addressed, which will require a trip to the shop. This is just one reason why we can't rely on amazon or Jenson or Western Bikeworks or Competitive Cyclist for all our bike needs, regardless of how compelling they may be. The day there are no more LBS's left is the day we are all hosed.
Old 01-16-20, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Nyah
About this bike model? Yes.
About my purchasing plan? Not really. A retailer that doesn't normally carry a particular brand is most likely NOT going to order the two bike sizes that the customer needs to try in order to determine which size fits best (unless it's a bike that they like, I guess. Do retailers usually like touring bikes? Not in my experience).

If it's a model they don't really carry, I'm skeptical that an authorized dealer would order two either.
Old 01-16-20, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

I predict 4 pages.
We already have our first “LBS prices are ridiculous!” post.
Old 01-16-20, 07:01 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
The closest LBS to me is a Trek dealer. I asked if they could get me two different sizes of Roubaix and they said no they couldn't do that for me. I told them they just lost my business.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 01-16-20, 07:17 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Depends. If there is no local dealer for that brand that may have their territory infringed, it may be an opportunity for the shop to pick up a new line.
However, bike brands support their independent dealers by protecting their territory,so another shop within that territory would not be authorized to carry the brand.
Most independent dealers carry multiple brands, so the analogy of going to a Chevy dealership to buy a new Ford doesn't really apply.
Old 01-16-20, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts

I predict 4 pages.
It got you to post.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-16-20, 07:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There's an important distinction between whether or not a shop stocks an item and whether or not they carry an item.

Pretty much every LBS out there buys from the same pool of distributors-- QBP, KHS, Hawley, etc. If a distributor has it, they can get it.

Full bikes are the exception, because there are dealer contracts in place for all of the big names-- Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc.

Trek is only sold through Trek stores, Specialized often has exclusivity contracts as well (they will only be sold at shop that don't carry certain brands.)

But if the OP is looking for something less mainstream, like even say a Colnago or a Masi, there's a fair chance the shop can get it and just doesn't stock it.

I bought my Cervelo at my LBS and they don't regularly stock Cervelo.
Old 01-16-20, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by billyymc
The closest LBS to me is a Trek dealer. I asked if they could get me two different sizes of Roubaix and they said no they couldn't do that for me. I told them they just lost my business.
So, in order to sell one bike, you think it reasonable to demand that they actually purchase 2? You understand that means they will definitely have an extra bike they have to keep in stock until they sell.

To be honest with you, their risk of getting stuck with a bike they cannot sell except at a loss probably outweighs any benefit of having you as a customer.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-16-20, 09:04 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Good for you?

Hey, I'm just trying to help get this to 4 pages.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-16-20, 09:15 AM
indyfabz

Cool story, bro. It's just as well. There is too much Trek anyway.
Old 01-16-20, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Full bikes are the exception, because there are dealer contracts in place for all of the big names-- Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc.
Surly being one exception, although I realize it may not qualify as a "big name."
Old 01-16-20, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Surly being one exception, although I realize it may not qualify as a "big name."
Lemonade out of a lemon of a thread, but it strikes me that people's experiences with varying brands' dealerships is actually a good thread topic.
Old 01-16-20, 09:32 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, in order to sell one bike, you think it reasonable to demand that they actually purchase 2? You understand that means they will definitely have an extra bike they have to keep in stock until they sell.

To be honest with you, their risk of getting stuck with a bike they cannot sell except at a loss probably outweighs any benefit of having you as a customer.
I understand that you missed the intent of my post, stating that I asked my local Trek dealer to sell me a Roubaix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.