Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How Many Consistent Miles To Date?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 07:22 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

How many miles have you done CONSISTENTLY? This time, without a long layoff, being consistent. No not since you were 10 years old then picked it up 20 years later. I mean This time, consistently?..Maybe a monht off at the most. My biggest lay off was prolly one week.

I started riding at 32 y/o, did 2,000 miles the first 2 or 3 years. Then 4,000 every year since then with 1 7,000 mile year. I figure my grand total this time being consistent is app 53,000 miles.

13 years of consistent riding!
Old 06-05-08, 07:27 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 , KHS fully rigid SS, SE Draft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats alot of miles, Beanz. I'm just hoping to average 5000 to 7000 a year for the next 20 years. I probably have 5000 the last 3 years. I used to MTB only and never logged my miles. 5000 may be on the low side.

My goal in the the next 2 years is to qualify for RAAM. No little goals for me.

Last edited by ScotteeD; 06-06-08 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 07:40 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScotteeD
My goal in the the next 2 years is to qualify for RAMM. No little goals for me.
The year I did 7300 miles, some were climbing in the dirt the hard way. Takes longer that way!

So if you did RAAM, would you chose to do it alone? I would. That's the way I am. If I ever do something like Furnace Creek 508, I'd go at it alone. Some people pay $10,000 to do the ride. Now that!!!! I could not do alone!
Old 06-05-08, 08:03 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solo rider is what I'm shooting for. I am a loner by nature.

I already have some sponsorship locked down. It helps wrenching for a bike shop. My gear and bikes will be covered. Just need to get a great support crew lined up.

I may be either doing the 24 hour race in Iowa or Furnace Creek as my qualifier next year.
Old 06-05-08, 08:05 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I already have some sponsorship locked down. It helps wrenching for a bike shop. My gear and bikes will be covered. Just need to get a great support crew lined up.

I may be either doing the 24 hour race in Iowa or Furnace Creek as my qualifier next year.
Cool! Good Luck Man!
Old 06-05-08, 08:12 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is truly amazing that the more time I spend in the saddle the more addicted I become to the sport.

I work at the bike shop as a hobby and for a great discount, just so I can be around bikes and cyclist.

Now I am totally focused on riding longer and longer distances. 1 day off the bike and I feel like I'm missing out.
Old 06-05-08, 08:19 PM
freeagent1970
just me

Bikes: a silver one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good going....are you still a clyde?
Old 06-05-08, 08:22 PM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is the 24 hour race in Iowa?
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 06-05-08, 09:23 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
How many miles have you done CONSISTENTLY? This time, without a long layoff, being consistent. No not since you were 10 years old then picked it up 20 years later. I mean This time, consistently?..Maybe a monht off at the most. My biggest lay off was prolly one week.

I started riding at 32 y/o, did 2,000 miles the first 2 or 3 years. Then 4,000 every year since then with 1 7,000 mile year. I figure my grand total this time being consistent is app 53,000 miles.

13 years of consistent riding!
The is easy for you California types, but in places like here where there is a 60C temperature variation, nearly half of it below freezing, you often get a 4 or 5 or 6 month layoff every year, Do we include those lay offs or not? If not, then I am back riding my third season, I guess about 500 miles the first year, since then 1575 miles, so about 2000 miles on my return, not bad when you consider I turn 47 in a couple of weeks, and took 20 years off....
Old 06-05-08, 10:00 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
The is easy for you California types, but in places like here where there is a 60C temperature variation, nearly half of it below freezing, you often get a 4 or 5 or 6 month layoff every year, Do we include those lay offs or not? If not, then I am back riding my third season, I guess about 500 miles the first year, since then 1575 miles, so about 2000 miles on my return, not bad when you consider I turn 47 in a couple of weeks, and took 20 years off....

I guess you've never heard of 'Machka'?...She a Canadian that deals with the same elements as you. And her father Cadillac. both Canadian Rando's. They log 7 grand a year too. She's a poster in these forums as well. Let me know, I'll ask her to drop in!

Plus I could also throw in that I worked 7 days a week on graveyard shift in a steel company, & raised 4 kids. Not sure what's tougher, raising the kids or walking around all night in steel toe boots! But if there's a will there's a way. Pre cycling era when I used to pump iron, I'd stay up till the kids went to bed, then hit the garage at 10 pm to lift for an hour or two, then up at 6 am. I've got a million of them too!.....And I ride in 110 degree weather when others won't!

BTW, I'm 45 but I don't see what age has got to do with it!

Don't get me wrong, I realize we have an advantage but you could do more if you really wanted! I know some Canadians that have more than us Cali's! Not all Cali people do as many miles as I do, nor do they want to!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-05-08 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 10:02 PM
st0ut

Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you guys / gals are monsters.

i am doing about 40 to 60 miles a week. 40 around town, 60 if i get a club ride in.
Old 06-05-08, 10:05 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Let me add that my wife (Gina) did 2,000 miles a year for about 3 years. Her son (my step) got sick and lost his kidneys. She did a century on our tandem the weekend before the donation. She returned to cycling a month after the operation with a 10 inch scar on her side.

She rode easy for a couple of years, maybe 1,000 or so then came back strong the last three years doing 3,000 consecutive years and increasing her speed!

She's got 6 grandkids and one kidney at 45 y/o!.......Dern kids keep multiplying!
Old 06-05-08, 10:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Although I could dig the data out for all of my riding, commuting is what I track most. Since 1988, I've ridden 2406 week day rides (most are riding back and forth to work but some aren't). Those are only the ones I have records for because I didn't keep records before 1988. I've ridden at least once each month since 1977 which includes getting hit by a car, breaking an ankle a second time, the birth of 2 kids (I helped), broken ribs and a pulled hamstring (the day after getting the cast for the ankle break off because I was trying to keep the streak going).

For those of you counting, that 31 years or 372 months of riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-05-08, 10:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I guess you've never heard of 'Machka'?...She a Canadian that deals with the same elements as you. And her father Cadillac. both Canadian Rando's. They log 7 grand a year too. She's a poster in these forums as well. Let me know, I'll ask her to drop in!

Plus I could also throw in that I worked 7 days a week on graveyard shift in a steel company, & raised 4 kids. But if there's a will there's a way. Pre cycling era when I used to pump iron, I'd stay up till the kids went to bed, then hit the garage at 10 pm to lift for an hour or two, then up at 6 am. I've got a million of them too!.....And I ride in 110 degree weather when others won't!

BTW, I'm 45 but I don't see what age has got to do with it!

Don't get me wrong, I realize we have an advantage but you could do more if you really wanted! I know some Canadians that have more than us Cali's! Not all Cali people do as many miles as I do, nor do they want to!
Thanks Mr. Beanz.

And you're right ... I'm a year-round Canadian rider who rode in Manitoba for 13 years, and now Alberta for the past 3.

I'd love to live in a place with great weather all year, but it is still possible to ride all year in the snow and cold too.
Old 06-05-08, 10:52 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Although I could dig the data out for all of my riding, commuting is what I track most. Since 1988, I've ridden 2406 week day rides (most are riding back and forth to work but some aren't). Those are only the ones I have records for because I didn't keep records before 1988. I've ridden at least once each month since 1977 which includes getting hit by a car, breaking an ankle a second time, the birth of 2 kids (I helped), broken ribs and a pulled hamstring (the day after getting the cast for the ankle break off because I was trying to keep the streak going).

For those of you counting, that 31 years or 372 months of riding.
Good job! I wish I could commute but I work near Ontario Airport. 4 lanes crammed into one, speed limit of 50 but drivers do 80mph and no shoulder. No thanks! And lots of big rigs!..I'm looking itno another company that's in the opposite direction. If it works out, I will get a commuter ........with the price of gas!

But that's an excuse ! I know, if there's a will, there's a way!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-05-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 10:55 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Thanks Mr. Beanz.

And you're right ... I'm a year-round Canadian rider who rode in Manitoba for 13 years, and now Alberta for the past 3.

I'd love to live in a place with great weather all year, but it is still possible to ride all year in the snow and cold too.

No, thank you! You are the best! ...I'd have to say that I'd wuss in the snow....maybe!...Depends on the studded tires!

Nice site BTW. Haven't seen much since your Austaralian (?) trip photos back in the other forum!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-05-08 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 11:06 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
What is the 24 hour race in Iowa?
https://www.ultramidwest.net/

Ultra 24 is actually in Ill.

Last edited by ScotteeD; 06-05-08 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 11:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

No, thank you! You are the best! ...I'd have to say that I'd wuss in the snow....maybe!...Depends on the studded tires!

Nice site BTW. Haven't seen much since your Austaralian (?) trip photos back in the other forum!
Well, I will say that the Century-A-Month challenge (see Long Distance forum) really helps to motivate me to get out there month after month after month.

And thanks again. Yes, I updated my site to a new format, and am working on updating more pages all the time. Since Australia, I've been all over Canada, the US, back to Europe, and back to Australia again. Travelling is one way to keep cycling all year too!
Old 06-05-08, 11:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

https://www.machka.net/24hour/2006_UMCA24hour.htm
Old 06-06-08, 07:21 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you REALLY want a challenge, I suggest the TransIowa. 300+ miles, all gravel, unsupported, in March. I'm planning on doing it in 2010, I think, if I survive the Dirty Kanza 200 next year.

I too am a little crazy with the goals .
Old 06-06-08, 03:06 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It's a lot harder to do lots of miles if you just ride on weekends for fun and don't commute. Well that's my excuse anyway. I'm trying to ride longer on each ride to make the miles. Since I did my first century in May I promised myself to do one a month so I guess the June effort must be due now.
Old 06-06-08, 03:15 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal is to work hard enough to be able to retire early...and do consistent miles.

I'm ramping up -- 2250 last year, about 1600 the year before that. THis year am at 800 so far -- aiming for 2500 or 3000.

I have a full time job, fly all the time (36 flights so far in 2008), and have a 4 year old who loves her daddy. I also have a pesky need to sleep like every night.

I just don't have time for any more.
Old 06-06-08, 05:08 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give up sleep to ride. Sure this will probably knock a few years off my lifespan, but hey we all have to sacrifice somewhere.

I also have 3 kids, a very supportive wife and work 50 hrs a week (Graveyard shift). I do all of my riding during the day when the family is out and about. I also wrench at a bicycle shop when I have extra time.

I did eliminate friends from my life so there would be no interference with my riding and family time. It's a good thing I like riding solo and enjoy my own company.
Old 06-06-08, 05:11 PM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
If you REALLY want a challenge, I suggest the TransIowa. 300+ miles, all gravel, unsupported, in March. I'm planning on doing it in 2010, I think, if I survive the Dirty Kanza 200 next year.

I too am a little crazy with the goals .
I have always wanted to do that ride. However that is a ride where I think you would be better off riding with someone else or in a small group.

Would you like to ride that next year or 2010 with a companion? I'm game if you are.
Old 06-06-08, 07:16 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm a weekend rider for fun unless I get a week off, then I'll ride during the week too. Last couple of years it's been weekends only, couple of exceptions. Last 3 years on nights, I'd get home at 2:30 am, then get up at 7 after 3 or 4 hours of sleep to do my weekend ride!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.