Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite way to carry your "stuff?"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 02:42 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I've tried a lot of different ways, but probably not all of them. I've done the backpack, panniers, trunk rack, carradice pendle with a bagman support, and now my favorite - a carradice SQR slim that attaches to the seatpost. (Not really my favorite, because in the summer I can carry everything I need in my jersey pockets.)

I like the SQR slim because I can take it off my bike so quickly and easily. It's great for those days when I ride my road bike to work and I go on a club ride after work. I can leave the slim bag at the office and pick it up after the club ride. I have purchased a second SQR seatpost clamp for my touring bike (my regular year-round commuter) so that I can move the bag easily from bike to bike. I like the slim bag on the touring bike because it sits up high enough and out of the way so that I can use panniers on my rack in addition to the slim bag.

I think I've finally got my commuting "luggage" dialed in!
Old 04-08-10, 02:50 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't have a lot of stuff to carry, so my favourite is either my Carradice Pendle or my Berthoud GB28. A combination of the two if I have a lot of stuff.
Old 04-08-10, 02:58 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite way to carry my stuff so far - my current set up of rack trunk w/ fold down panniers. Haven't tried proper panniers yet, though I hope to get some soon for a little touring this summer, but the Topeak rack trunk w/ the MTX system is super convenient and can fit everything I need for work and the occasional package to carry home, too. Then I can always bungee cord other items on top of the trunk, too.

Did the backpack thing from when I started commuting last spring until Christmas. Not a big fan. It worked for me and made commuting possible at a time when money for a rack, trunk, and/or panniers was tight, but it's certainly not my preferred method at all.
Old 04-08-10, 03:53 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
With my rear rack. Used to bungee chord my backpack. Now I DIY two panniers out of two old knapsacks.
Old 04-08-10, 04:00 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
My favorite way to carry my stuff so far - my current set up of rack trunk w/ fold down panniers. Haven't tried proper panniers yet, though I hope to get some soon for a little touring this summer, but the Topeak rack trunk w/ the MTX system is super convenient and can fit everything I need for work and the occasional package to carry home, too. Then I can always bungee cord other items on top of the trunk, too.

Did the backpack thing from when I started commuting last spring until Christmas. Not a big fan. It worked for me and made commuting possible at a time when money for a rack, trunk, and/or panniers was tight, but it's certainly not my preferred method at all.
+1 on the Topeak Trunk bag with the Quick Track system. Have used a Topeak EXP bag for the last two years and it has held up remarkably well. The fold down panniers will hold a change of clothes, shoes, lunch, jacket when it gets too warm. etc. and its pretty durable. Probably not the best choice for carrying a lap top or riding in the rain, but for a quick simple way to get the backpack off your back, its hard to beat.
Old 04-08-10, 04:26 PM
altersego

Bikes: '80 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '84 Bianchi Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting & riding around town: Carradice College with the quick release.
Shopping runs: Orlieb Velocity.

I decided to ditch backpacks and go saddlebag almost exclusively. I can't carry my laptop in the saddlebag, so I stuff it in the Ortlieb when I need it.
Old 04-08-10, 04:38 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer carrying my stuff via automobile.

What I must carry, I carry in a messenger bag. Panniers may be better in some ways, but it works for me.
Old 04-08-10, 04:47 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use Wald baskets that came with my bike. They do the job but I would really like to have some Ortlieb (sp) panniers. That would be sexy travel as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-08-10, 04:52 PM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only "stuff" I carry is a tire kit(levers, pre-glued patches, co2 pump) and a multi tool, those fit in my pockets.

edit: if I need to bring something larger with me I use a cheapo Nashbar Messenger bag I got several years ago.
Old 04-08-10, 05:02 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Topeak Explorer rack with a single pannier. I can carry some tools/spare tube, rain jacket, my lunch, and assorted papers for work.

It works for me because I have everything I need and never worry about forgetting anything. If I need to stop on the way home, I can also fit a few groceries in there as well...
Old 04-08-10, 05:19 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Started with Backpack. Hated that sweaty back. Switched to shoulder bag. It was ok for a while until I needed to carry more of everything just short of carrying a kitchen sink. I needed to get the load off my shoulder and went to a Transit pannier bought at Performance just for trial. After some soul searching of a personal debate of what is the better side to put it on my rack, I installed on the left side but I also ended up with a foldable shopping bag pannier on the right side. That shopping bag pannier is much needed when I buy three boxes of takeout food to feed the hungry at home since commuting takes time away from cooking at home.
Old 04-08-10, 05:28 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Been commuting for 9 years. Still using the same messenger bag. (Timbuk2 ocho)
Old 04-08-10, 05:35 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers, absolutely. But I do carry a lot of stuff that is just too much for a backpack.
Old 04-08-10, 05:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't have a good answer to the question ... but have been trying to find one. I hate the sweaty back a pack gives, and in the winter, with a back on, it doesn't matter how much mesh is on the facing; it's pushing the jacket into your back, and your skin can't breathe.

I asked a cyclist on the trail what she thought about her panniers last night, and she said she has to be more mindful about breaking a little early with them. That's enough to scare me away ... I already had my doubts.

But occasionally it's nice to carry lunch, a jacket, and a small book on a ride. I don't always want to wear the jacket, though; you can set out when it's warm and sunny, and return home long after dark. So storage is a must. I think I'm going to give this pack a try, but that's mostly because I need a good way to carry a heavy tripod hiking.
Old 04-08-10, 06:13 PM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carradice Pendle and when needed a bar bag carries all i need for light touring. Thinking of replacing my ratty looking old bar bag for a Carradice Roll bag for handle bars,would love to see one mounted before i get one though.
Old 04-08-10, 09:56 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Pelican box mounted as a pannier for commuting.

Keeps my laptop safe and my office clothes dry.

Old 04-08-10, 10:00 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My handlebar basket works well for storing a jacket or a small bag. If I'm bringing stuff home on a clear day I bring my fold up REI grocery panniers. Or if it's raining my waterproof pannier. I rarely wear a backpack because my back gets too sweaty. Messenger bags bug the heck out of me when they slide around my back.

I like the handlebar basket best since I don't have to take it off when I lock up the bike.
Old 04-08-10, 10:03 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use a set of shopper panniers and those are usualy on my bike, but if those aren't on i use my nashbar trunk bag and a back-pack, or one or the other depending on what i'm doing or going.
Old 04-08-10, 10:05 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Panniers.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-08-10, 10:13 PM
nice_marmot
Big Ol' Varmint

Bikes: 2015 Rodriguez Adventure, 2009 Kona Dew, 2007 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of lovely Axiom waterproof panniers I use whenever I have groceries/books/cookout supplies/etc. to bring with me. Otherwise, I put my emergency gear in a pocket and lash my U-lock to the rear rack with a bungee net.
Old 04-08-10, 11:08 PM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been giving this some thought. Currently, I have a Detours Uptown pannier I bodge into The World's Least Comfortable shoulder bag with carabiners and a laptop bag strap, and a generic fold-out grocery pannier that's locked to the bike full-time. I've been daydreaming about a Carradice Bike Bureau and a Rixen & Kaul Cargo folding pannier in blue. They would be more comfortable and convenient, and they look damn good on a bike. Yet, apart from being bicycle jewelry, would I really be better off dropping $300 on new panniers for the commute?

When I was in college, I had a SS beach cruiser with Wald wire basket panniers, the 535 long model. It was a rear rack with two fixed steel baskets on either side. It cost $30, and I could stuff a week's worth of groceries in them, and bungie my laptop bag and camera bag to the top. Then I spent another $10, and bought a used Wald 139 courier basket for the front. I think there are import pickup trucks from the time that couldn't haul as much stuff... I helped friends move with that thing. I could go for pizza and bring back a 30-rack as well.

I dunno if I want to go that deep into Fredland, but the threat of Ultimate Practicality keeps the credit card in the wallet when I see people posting pics of their Bike Bureaus... barely.
Old 04-09-10, 12:15 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My Topek MTX trunk bag it always on my bike regardless of what I do, I never go anywhere without my camera. I rarely use the Panniers in the open position but they are there if I need them. I will also put overnight clothes in the drop down Pannier and the roll it closed up again depending on what it is. You can also zip a bottle of water in each Pannier on the MTX bag for long rides. I have a small nashbar rack & trunk bag setup on the front wheel that holds as much as a bar bag for a rain poncho, tubes, oil, medical kit. I carry my computer in a Caradise Bike Bureau when commuting to work. I only use the Bike bureau if I have the computer with me.

Last edited by Timber_8; 04-09-10 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 12:31 AM
TuckamoreDew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I'm in the minority in using a backpack as my day-to-day commuting stuff carrier. It usually just contains my lunch, a book and a few bike tools .I've been using the same MEC cycling backpack for 5 years now. For bigger loads I use a cheap ($20) set of ugly Bell panniers that can carry an awful lot. One of the zippers broke near the end of last season but I did get a solid two years heavy use out of them. For even bigger loads I use a trailer. Sometimes I use all three methods at the same time.
Old 04-09-10, 01:36 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Panniers, absolutely. But I do carry a lot of stuff that is just too much for a backpack.
I hate the cumbersome feeling of backpacks. And the hot spot on your back.. I might use a backpack should I have an overload situation in my panniers.. The result my race bike without pannier's gets ridden only about 1/3 of the time.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-09-10, 02:22 AM
cubs1982

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arkel Utility Basket on tubus cargo rack. I like the fact that it is so open and can store all I need for the daily commute plus some odds and ends that I may need to pick up on the way home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.