Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 09-26-13, 12:52 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Sara, check the rules, I don't think there are any upgrade points available for TTs.

I'll be in Marin for work next week, and I'm going to do Levi's Gran Fondo while I'm there. Can't wait! I'll try to talk my sister into doing Mt Tam the other day, but I think she'll be tired, she's been training for a marathon and not riding that much.

I've not been training all month, with the floods and a trip to VT to visit the M.I.L. I gained 4 pounds. Diet started yesterday.
Oh, I know that, Valygrl. Crits and mentored races. That's what I'm looking for.

So that's where that four pounds I lost last week went...sorry!
Old 09-26-13, 06:46 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Sara, check the rules, I don't think there are any upgrade points available for TTs.
This. 3 is either by points, or by x-number pack finishes, which is pretty much just finishing as there's no real credible reporting as to "pack".
Old 09-26-13, 09:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
This. 3 is either by points, or by x-number pack finishes, which is pretty much just finishing as there's no real credible reporting as to "pack".
And, I have 2 whole points! Only 28 to go!!!! Yay.
Old 09-26-13, 10:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
FWIW, I upgraded to 3 on top 10s, but I don't know if that is an option any longer.
Old 09-26-13, 11:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Installed the Garmin Vector today and it worked perfectly. Testing is tomorrow.

Attended a Roger's Session at Velo Sports Center and did some easy spinning.

There is now 8 in the GMR 55+ and two registered in the p/1/2. The p/1/2 should be a cage match. Two men go in and one comes out.
Old 09-27-13, 02:07 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I elected to skip riding yesterday, then didn't have enough time this morning after doing last minute things at my wife's request. We currently are sitting on a taxiway in an airplane during a 45' delay. No riding for 17 days. I hope to get a few workouts in using exercise bikes. I may even look into the ships spin classes.
Old 09-27-13, 03:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Have a great time on your trip. Eat lots.
Old 09-27-13, 05:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Went for a short ride along the coast in Newport Beach to test out the Vector Power meter. It is a picture perfect day in SoCal and MEA and I are enjoying a week long vacation.

Our ride started out with the Edge 500 saying that the static calibration of the Vector PM failed. I called Garmin and the fix was a hard reset of the 500. The 500 can create a corrupt file the first time it is used with the Vector. The reset fixed the problem. I suspect that a software update will be needed to permanently fix the problem.

The installation of the Vector PM was pretty straight forward as detailed in the DC Rainmakter article. One noteworthy limitation of the Vector is that it does not support non round chain rings - at least not yet.
Old 09-28-13, 11:00 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Rode with my training partner BJ on Thursday. She's in good form for the Huntsman Games, which start next week. I gave her a good run for her money none the less.

This morning I did my last ride until October 9th. Tomorrow I get a plane for DFW. I'm bringing my running shoes (and heart rate strap). This will be the longest period I'll have been off the bike in some time. Maybe the rest will be good?
Old 09-29-13, 05:44 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Yesterday was one of the harder rides I've done. I sought out some climbing and did two laps of this route. 4:00, and the first lap was considerably faster than the second. IF for the first hour was .94, for the first two hours was .91, and for the entire ride was .83...slowed down towards the end. TSS was 276, 2455 kj. Part of what tired me out was a decision to climb in the 50-60 rpm range to add resistance. Just over 3000 feet of climbing - not much for those who live in hilly country, but it was the best I could find.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-29-13, 04:21 PM
revchuck 
OMC

2:46 at endurance pace, albeit not far above recovery. For the first time I can remember since I started cycling, my glutes are sore.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-29-13, 07:19 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a great sign...
Old 10-01-13, 08:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

1.5 hours of hill climbing with the wife 3x10 minute z4/z5 efforts. One would ask why I am doing hard efforts in the off season. Simple, I did not do jack in the regular season. And Saturday starts the Low Key Hill Climbs and our team is the Sisters and Misters of No Mercy. A couple of years ago, we were on that team and the team won the team series. The team started out as the Sisters of No Mercy formed by some of the female climbers. Since they wanted men on the team, they changed the name to what it is today. This is one of the best run and organized event series in NorCal although it is not promoted as a race and not sanctioned. It is a training ride - you betcha.
Old 10-01-13, 08:40 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Knowing it will be awhile until my situation changes, I went to the gym and did some time on a stationary bike. Woohoo!
Old 10-01-13, 11:16 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Ran 2 miles S-L-O-W-L-Y. Legs hurt.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 10-02-13, 06:40 AM
Colonelmom

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
You guys.

I've been totally off the radar for the last week. I spent four days in San Francisco, the Tall Russian had meetings with contractors about renovating his house up there. It turns out it's VERY close to Ex's childhood home, just a stone's throw. Small world!

I did a lot of riding, but it was from stop light to stop light, stop sign to stop sign. I had fun waiting for Freds to catch up to me and then I blow past them when they got fifty or so yards in front of me. Is that mean, or what?

I climbed Mount Tamalpias, round tripping from San Francisco, on Sunday. The Tall Russian has really slowed down in the past year (and I'm faster), so I had to stop often to wait on him. That really slowed me down, but even so, I did okay on that much harder than I expected climb (it's way harder than Hamilton).

Sunday I go to Texas for a ten day school for work. I won't have a bike, so I'm going to (heaven forbid) RUN while I'm there to maintain my aerobic fitness. I don't want to think about how slow I'll be when I get home! I do start structure again on November 1st.

Like Ex, I've been thinking about next year. I want to cat up to 3 so I can race more Masters races. I'll probably need the whole season to get enough points to do that. I do my best in crits, so I'll target more of them instead of road races, and I'll contest more ITT's. I might try to hit more races in a series, too. Senior events are square in the middle of my radar, points or not, and any USAC women's race that will allow a W4 to race 35+ (better yet, 60+) I'll try to get to. Most of all, next year, I HOPE, will be a season of racing, not survival.

From the 2013 rule book

4-3: (1) 20 points; or,
(2) experience in 25 qualifying races with a minimumof 10 top ten finishes with fields of 30 riders+; or,
(3) 20 pack finishes with fields over 50.
30 points in 12 months is a mandatory* upgrade.USAC-sanctioned rider Camps and Clinics that areapproved by the Local Associations for upgrading willcount a maximum of 3 upgrade points when upgradingfrom category 4 to category 3.

I cannot find it right now.. but USAC expanded the timeline.. so you can count 18 months of points versus the old 12 month window... GOOD luck.. i have the same goal... to get to CAT 2 and I am considering racing USAC Master's it is in Utah in 2014

Old 10-02-13, 03:32 PM
Cleave

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Quads hurt.
Old 10-03-13, 06:18 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Colonelmom, thanks. You're a 3? I thought you were very strong from your reports! Good luck on catting up.

I'm in Texas. No bike. However, I've run three times now, about 40 minutes and 3.5 miles per run. It hurts!!! Everything bounces and jars, and my legs are feeling all sorts of strains I'd forgotten about. Cardio is getting worked, though, and that's good.
Old 10-03-13, 09:02 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Cleave
Ran 2 miles S-L-O-W-L-Y. Legs hurt.
OMG. I knew it was a bad idea to hang out with R'Ex for fear of catching whatever he has. I was at the gym last night and momentarily looked at a treadmill and thought about swimming. Am I coming down with something. I need a doctor.
Old 10-03-13, 09:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Gym last night. Starting legs and worked upper body.
Old 10-03-13, 03:57 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Building time at the end of a build...2:35 Tuesday (hrTSS 126), 3:27 (TSS 213) Wednesday, 2:27 (TSS 116) today. My ass was dragging bigtime today. An hour at recovery pace tomorrow, a 75 mile charity ride Saturday, 1:30 at endurance pace Sunday, and then into a recovery week. After my ride on Sunday, I'm driving my wife to Alabama to visit her side of the family. I'll probably gain a few pounds - her Mom thinks I'm way too thin, and she can cook!

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-03-13, 05:28 PM
Cleave

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
OMG. I knew it was a bad idea to hang out with R'Ex for fear of catching whatever he has. I was at the gym last night and momentarily looked at a treadmill and thought about swimming. Am I coming down with something. I need a doctor.
OK, a bit of explanation is warranted. As much as I make fun of people for riding during the racing season, I used to run a fair amount during the off season. I used to do 10K runs for fun and socializing. I'm not any better at running than I am at bike racing. Years ago, my goal was to get under 40 minutes for a 10K and I never got there. I could do 42 minutes and change consistently and under 42 minutes once in a while.

LAST year I bought some new running shoes for the first time in about 10 years. I was trying to get my youngest son to run with me last fall but it was no-go. I ran once last year.

This year I decided I needed to mix things up since I've been training on my bike through the winter for a bunch years now, thanks to the Velo Sports Center. I am planning to ride at the track twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday) and ride with my club on Saturday. My goal is to run twice each week, maybe Sunday and Wednesday. Looking at this kind of a schedule through November.

I have ZERO desire to do a duathlon or a triathlon. However, if I feel like my running is progressing I might do a 5K or a 10K for fun.

Of course, the best laid plans...
Old 10-03-13, 05:40 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I want my bike...any bike!
Old 10-03-13, 05:47 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An hour of glorious JRA.
Old 10-03-13, 08:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

1.5 hours of ride as I feel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.