Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Aventon Mataro Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 04:07 PM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Aventon Mataro Low

Anyone have any experience of Aventon frames at all? Hard to find any reviews that aren't on 'singlespeed' forums. Just curious after stumbling upon them.
Old 01-21-17, 06:33 PM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an Aventon Mataro (not Low) when I started riding the track again. It's basic, generic and to me, perfectly OK. I paired the frame (I got it for about $175) with a $100 Alpina fork (30mm rake) to give it the proper trail for the track. If you use the 45 rake fork it's often sold with, the steering will seem sluggish - a 45 is a rake more for single speed road riding. The Mataro a cheap and soulless 6061 frame that rides just fine, and as good as a lot of stuff that's being sold for more, IMHO. I have since upgraded to a carbon frame but the Aventon is a reliable backup, as far as I can see.
Old 01-21-17, 07:24 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
If you're going to use it on the velodrome, it's probably better to go with a shorter rake, as suggested above. Using a 45mm rake might make it too twitchy (not sluggish) for use on the track. Of course, it's a combination of rake and head tube angle that produces the trail.
Old 01-22-17, 06:04 AM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the handling, the trail of the Mataro's 74-degree head tube with a 35 rake will produce a trail of 60mm. The same frame with a 45 rake will have a trail of 50mm. Most stock track bikes, such as the Bianchi Super Pista and the Felt TK2, dial trail in right at 60.Here's a quote from Spectrum Cycles that explains the effect well:
"Decreasing trail has a couple of effects as you might expect. The first thing a rider will notice about a low trail bike is that it appears to resist attitude changes (lean angle changes). It requires more physical effort to get the bike to lean into a corner and more effort to get it to straighten up. The second thing that you will notice is that while cornering at higher speeds, the bike will have a tendency to climb out of the turn on its own. Finally, you will find that the way the bike responds to rider input is affected by the speed of the bike. As you might have guessed by now, at lower speeds, a low-trail bike will have a tendency to want to go straight and do so pretty much on its own. What you will find at higher speeds (like over 30mph) is that a low trail bike will become quite vague in the front end. The front wheel will feel as though it is wandering a bit and the contact patch feel will simply go away."
I found with the shorter (50mm) trail on the track that I'd come up the banking (at speed) if I didn't consciously steer downward, and that when I tried to correct my line it was less immediate. I think of that as "sluggish," but I may be confusing my terms.
Old 01-22-17, 08:11 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TDinBristol
On the handling, the trail of the Mataro's 74-degree head tube with a 35 rake will produce a trail of 60mm. The same frame with a 45 rake will have a trail of 50mm. Most stock track bikes, such as the Bianchi Super Pista and the Felt TK2, dial trail in right at 60.Here's a quote from Spectrum Cycles that explains the effect well:
"Decreasing trail has a couple of effects as you might expect. The first thing a rider will notice about a low trail bike is that it appears to resist attitude changes (lean angle changes). It requires more physical effort to get the bike to lean into a corner and more effort to get it to straighten up. The second thing that you will notice is that while cornering at higher speeds, the bike will have a tendency to climb out of the turn on its own. Finally, you will find that the way the bike responds to rider input is affected by the speed of the bike. As you might have guessed by now, at lower speeds, a low-trail bike will have a tendency to want to go straight and do so pretty much on its own. What you will find at higher speeds (like over 30mph) is that a low trail bike will become quite vague in the front end. The front wheel will feel as though it is wandering a bit and the contact patch feel will simply go away."
I found with the shorter (50mm) trail on the track that I'd come up the banking (at speed) if I didn't consciously steer downward, and that when I tried to correct my line it was less immediate. I think of that as "sluggish," but I may be confusing my terms.
Makes sense. However we decide to describe it, we're all just looking for a bike that goes where we want it to go in a predictable manner!