Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 08:03 PM
vdub6541

Bikes: 1997 Romic Neo-Retro, 2015 Ridley Ignite 27.5, Mercier Nano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rigidan
[IMG][/IMG]
Not, but has potential to be hot. For me, it's the red/black stem on a green/black/white bike, and the crankset looks a little out of place with the rest of the 7800 stuff (polished silver on the 7800 vs black/'greyish' on the 7900). I think all 7900 would look more fitting than all 7800 due to the black of the frame.

That said, I bet it rides great. How do you like those wheels?
Old 02-16-17, 05:51 AM
rigidan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vdub6541
Not, but has potential to be hot. For me, it's the red/black stem on a green/black/white bike, and the crankset looks a little out of place with the rest of the 7800 stuff (polished silver on the 7800 vs black/'greyish' on the 7900). I think all 7900 would look more fitting than all 7800 due to the black of the frame.

That said, I bet it rides great. How do you like those wheels?
I completely agree with the red comment. Since this picture I slung on a slightly shorter back stem with the correct tape.

I had actually not noticed the miss match of 8 & 9 as I'd only just purchased this bike from ebay. It's my first dedicated roadbike and I'm loving it!

Rides just, I'm chuffed with it. I personally love the wheels, that have taken some abuse in a previous life but they're the best wheels i've ever had.

What do you think about stealth bike with green decals?
Old 02-16-17, 06:06 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Yeah, I like the green decals.

Have you re-wrapped the bars? The gap behind the shifter would personally annoy me. Tape that matched the decals would be sweet, and definitely make it "HOT".
Old 02-16-17, 06:47 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a big fan of black/green so I like it. As someone else said, I don't much care for the red accents you have on there.. but, that's just nitpicking.
Old 02-16-17, 09:01 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Fresh Build hot off the work stand

New 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
7800 DA throughout w/ praxis BB and Cannondale C1 brakes w/ Black Prince pads
Zipp SL Speed bar,post,stem,cages and bartape.
Zipp 303 w/ Vittoria CG 25 tubs and Zipp aero skewers
Selle Flite L1 saddle
Jagwire cable and housing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015 Evo 003.jpg (93.9 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by cycledogg; 02-17-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 10:18 AM
Team Chitoge

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I changed a few things. New bar tape (supacaz two tone), Stem (110mm Giant SLR), bars (Zipp Service Course SL 88).

Crashed it Monday... You would expect it to be on a race but it was only a patch of oil in a wet parking lot.

I tend to lurk this thread quite a bit due to the eye candy, and I have never commented on anyone else's bike, but this set up does not make my eyes happy. You've posted this bike before, and I resisted the urge to comment on its ugliness (disgusting old man fluorescent yellow/green). However, changing the bar tape to make it more of an eyesore with that atrocious color, and posting again? Most decidedly NOT hot, free bike or not, ewww.
Old 02-16-17, 10:58 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Chitoge
I tend to lurk this thread quite a bit due to the eye candy, and I have never commented on anyone else's bike, but this set up does not make my eyes happy. You've posted this bike before, and I resisted the urge to comment on its ugliness (disgusting old man fluorescent yellow/green). However, changing the bar tape to make it more of an eyesore with that atrocious color, and posting again? Most decidedly NOT hot, free bike or not, ewww.
Love it! First time getting such a big NOT. Kudos to you sir for your sincerity. The bike is fantastic and I love it. It no longer has that tape on it since we received the new team tape but I liked that one better. To each his own, the bike looks good when I ride it, most people only get to see it from the back and not for long so they don't have to endure the eye sore.
Old 02-16-17, 11:08 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
... most people only get to see it from the back and not for long...
I can personally verify the veracity of this statement.
Old 02-16-17, 11:11 AM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is fantastic and I love it.
Really? Wouldn't have guessed it given how often I've seen it posted around here. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it hot, but hey at least you think it looks good while you're on it.
Old 02-16-17, 12:01 PM
vdub6541

Bikes: 1997 Romic Neo-Retro, 2015 Ridley Ignite 27.5, Mercier Nano

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think more green accents would look great. As ridelikeaturtle said, green bar tape would set it off, but as it sits, the balance of white on top (saddle and bar tape) and bottom (Spinergy logos and white spokes) works well. If you went stealth bike, as in black wheels/saddle, then green tape would look awesome.

Huge fan of black and green. It's nice seeing vibrant colors on carbon. The usual all-black-everything bikes can be a bit boring to look at, regardless of how nice the bike or parts on it are.
Old 02-16-17, 12:04 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree. Sexy machine for sure!
Old 02-16-17, 02:00 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is amazing. Stop lurking and comment more.

Old 02-16-17, 02:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
(disgusting old man fluorescent yellow/green)
The current front-runner in my new bike hand-wringing is a TCR with that highlighter yellow/green as the primary color. I'm loving the hate. Good, good - let the hate flow through you!
Old 02-16-17, 02:58 PM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The current front-runner in my new bike hand-wringing is a TCR with that highlighter yellow/green as the primary color.
That sucks, I'm really sorry. My condolences to those around you.

I'm loving the hate. Good, good - let the hate flow through you!
Why do you "love" the hate? Are you attempting to be ironic when you consider the color scheme of your next bike, and spend money on it with the sole purpose and hopes that it will insult somebody's eyes? No need, I don't feel hate for those particular mid-life crisis fluorescent colors, but you bet I'm not lusting one bit over those bikes. I just think they're hideous.
Old 02-16-17, 03:05 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Why do you "love" the hate? Are you attempting to be ironic when you consider the color scheme of your next bike, and spend money on it with the sole purpose and hopes that it will insult somebody's eyes? No need, I don't feel hate for those particular mid-life crisis fluorescent colors, but you bet I'm not lusting one bit over those bikes. I just think they're hideous.
Speaking of mid-life grumpy old men, I'd hate to be a kid on your lawn.
Old 02-16-17, 03:18 PM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
Speaking of mid-life grumpy old men, I'd hate to be a kid on your lawn.
Almost every time I have personally seen someone out on a fluorescent yellowish bike, they're usually older men. Doesn't always apply, sure, but I just think it's bad taste regardless.

I thought this thread was about brutally honest critique, harsh or otherwise. I've looked at several dozen pages of this thread, so unless I'm wrong, if you put your bike on this thread specifically, then you expect to hear from both sides, right?

Also I'm in my mid twenties, so I won't be telling anyone to get off my lawn any time soon.
Old 02-16-17, 03:19 PM
WhyFi

That sucks, I'm really sorry. My condolences to those around you.

Heck yeah - I'm going to slap an SRAM-hates-America groupset on there, too.
Old 02-16-17, 03:25 PM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck yeah - I'm going to slap an SRAM-hates-America groupset on there, too.
That wouldn't upset me one bit actually. Can't speak for others though!
Old 02-16-17, 03:30 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Almost every time I have personally seen someone out on a fluorescent yellowish bike, they're usually older men. Doesn't always apply, sure, but I just think it's bad taste regardless.

I thought this thread was about brutally honest critique, harsh or otherwise. I've looked at several dozen pages of this thread, so unless I'm wrong, if you put your bike on this thread specifically, then you expect to hear from both sides, right?

Also I'm in my mid twenties, so I won't be telling anyone to get off my lawn any time soon.
Harsh critique is OK. Just maybe try not to sound so angry. Watch the others, see how they throw a little acerbic humor in to sweeten the sour a bit. Nobody in their twenties should be so angry about fluoro colors. That right is reserved exclusively for those of us who were actually around in the 80s.
Old 02-16-17, 03:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Well, if you want it to know what your bike takes to be "hot", you can't really do much to change that with sycophantic comments.
Old 02-16-17, 03:36 PM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harsh critique is OK. Just maybe try not to sound so angry. Watch the others, see how they throw a little humor in to sweeten the sour a bit. Nobody in their twenties should be so angry about fluoro colors. That right is reserved exclusively for those of us who were actually around in the 80s.
If you were actually around in the 80s though, wouldn't you understand better than me why fluoro absolutely positively sucks? It's right up there with splash bar tape. Why would anyone spend a couple of grand on an otherwise nice bike and screw it up with those colors?

I don't know, I wasn't trying to sound angry, really! In fact, the guy whose bike my original comment was for probably doesn't care as much as anyone else who has posted after.
Old 02-16-17, 03:40 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

If you were actually around in the 80s though, wouldn't you understand better than me why fluoro absolutely positively sucks? It's right up there with splash bar tape. Why would anyone spend a couple of grand on an otherwise nice bike and screw it up with those colors?
Yes, splash bar tape is truly hideous and all traces of it should be erased from history.

I don't know, I wasn't trying to sound angry, really! In fact, the guy whose bike my original comment was for probably doesn't care as much as anyone else who has posted after.
I can promise that nobody here cares as much as you think they do.

(The same can't be said about the SRAM thread, don't tread there )
Old 02-16-17, 03:44 PM
Team Chitoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can promise that nobody here cares as much as you think they do.
Oh, I don't know about that...

Yes, splash bar tape is truly hideous and all traces of it should be erased from history.
...but at least we agree on something.
Old 02-16-17, 03:46 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

...but at least we agree on something.
Old 02-16-17, 03:46 PM
WhyFi

That wouldn't upset me one bit actually. Can't speak for others though!
Ah well - can't piss off everyone.

Actually, the model that I'm looking at doesn't come in any color other than that fluoro yellow/green. Not a huge fan (though I actually prefer it over black), but that's not enough to make me reconsider the make/model, groupset, etc. I'm a grown man in spandex, for god's sake - I'm not going to worry about offending a 20-something's sensibilities, 'specially when I (along with every other 'old' guy) can look back at our 20's and marvel at how dumb we were for thinking we had it all figured out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.