Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers a scam?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Groupset tiers a scam?

Old 09-10-19, 07:06 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Groupset tiers a scam?

I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Old 09-10-19, 07:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Sounds like a business opportunity for you to jump in there, shake up the scammin' status quo and make a mint by providing DA-level goodness at 105 prices. Chop chop!
Old 09-10-19, 07:20 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
You've been here for 10 years and this is what you come up with? When you reach a certain price point, high end bikes are luxury items meaning price is somewhat irrelevant. And those that can, gladly pay to save a few ounces.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 09-10-19, 07:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Don't know about Shimano, but there's a huge difference between a Sram Rival and Red cassette. Rival has individual cogs while Red is machined from one piece.
Old 09-10-19, 07:25 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Are you aware of the differences in the individual components? Some are similar, others are not as simple as that. The jump between 105 and ultegra is the big one, for example the RD uses cartridge bearing pulleys vs shaft bearings, 2 piece glued hollow chainrings vs machined 1 piece, stainless spindles on the pedals, materials for the levers etc?
Old 09-10-19, 09:01 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Aside from the materials and processes involved, the top-tier groups pay for most of the R&D that trickles down to the lower groups, I'd imagine. Early adopter tax.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-10-19, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Even if the production costs of 105 and DA are the same, the difference in weight and for a long time tech, allows DA to command a higher price.

I'll let you in on a general business secrect- price is not tied to cost.
Some products are high volume low margin. Some products are low volume high margin. The rest are somewhere between.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-11-19, 04:00 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Marginal gains.
Old 09-11-19, 04:57 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
105 doesn't have near the longevity of Ultegra.
Old 09-11-19, 05:34 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Porsche v. Toyota
Old 09-11-19, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Most likely technology that is different. You also pay for the R&D when it comes to high-end products, which is normal.

These are 2 completely different products that are intended for two completely different categories of buyers. They should not be compared. The Porsche VS Toyota call says it all.
Old 09-11-19, 06:34 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Aside from the materials and processes involved, the top-tier groups pay for most of the R&D that trickles down to the lower groups, I'd imagine. Early adopter tax.
This ^^^^^^ literally what I was going to say.
Old 09-11-19, 06:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
105 doesn't have near the longevity of Ultegra.
I own and have ridden 105 from the early 90s, early 00s, late 00s, and mid-late 10s.
I also own and have ridden Ultegra from the late 90s when it was 600tricolor, early 90s when it was 600Ultegra, late 90s when it was 9sp, and current late 10s.

I cant figure how either is more or less durable than the other. Both seem to work perfectly fine in all iterations thru the years. The 105 certainly seems to have the longevity of Ultegra, and even if it isnt exactly the same, it lasts as long as many riders will ever want(the life of their bike).

The internet is full of examples of people using 105 for decades without issue.
The internet is also full of examples of people needing to change their Ultegra earlier than they expect.

Not sure how you collect all that and determine that 105 doesnt have the longevity of Ultegra.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-11-19, 07:08 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Often many of the fasteners and other steel parts have better plating that keeps rust away longer.
Old 09-11-19, 07:36 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I own and have ridden 105 from the early 90s, early 00s, late 00s, and mid-late 10s.
I also own and have ridden Ultegra from the late 90s when it was 600tricolor, early 90s when it was 600Ultegra, late 90s when it was 9sp, and current late 10s.

I cant figure how either is more or less durable than the other. Both seem to work perfectly fine in all iterations thru the years. The 105 certainly seems to have the longevity of Ultegra, and even if it isnt exactly the same, it lasts as long as many riders will ever want(the life of their bike).

The internet is full of examples of people using 105 for decades without issue.
The internet is also full of examples of people needing to change their Ultegra earlier than they expect.

Not sure how you collect all that and determine that 105 doesnt have the longevity of Ultegra.
Yep, and all of these owners are certainly not using and maintaining their bikes the same way. Too many factors that can influence the longevity / reliability / etc.
Old 09-11-19, 07:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everything is a scam.

A dry aged steak at McKendrick's Steak House vs a chain steakhouse.

A Lexus F Sport vs a Toyota Camry.

The service I give my customers is a scam. Any computer tech is just as good as I am and will probably charge you one fifth the price.

-Tim-
Old 09-11-19, 09:33 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I own 105 5800 & Ultegra R8000 - shifting at the rear is difficult to tell the difference, but the front shifting is noticeably better with Ultegra. This could mean the difference between catching the wheel in front and getting dropped in a race after a climb in the little ring, so I pay the premium for Ultegra (hard to justify DA for now, but I'm also not getting paid to win races). It's all relative, and I wouldn't say that it's a scam. Difference between Ultegra and DA (R8000 & R9100), though, is much smaller than that between 105 and Ultegra, as Shimano described themselves.

If for your purposes 105 is sufficient, and I would wager that for the majority of cyclists it definitely is, buy 105 and remain happy, and let others buy DA. I personally love when older, richer people buy DA because as others mentioned, that pays for R&D so that the high end tech from 3-4 years ago trickles down to Ultegra/105 level.
Old 09-11-19, 09:36 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
I own 105 5800 & Ultegra R8000 - shifting at the rear is difficult to tell the difference, but the front shifting is noticeably better with Ultegra. This could mean the difference between catching the wheel in front and getting dropped in a race after a climb in the little ring, so I pay the premium for Ultegra (hard to justify DA for now, but I'm also not getting paid to win races). It's all relative, and I wouldn't say that it's a scam. Difference between Ultegra and DA (R8000 & R9100), though, is much smaller than that between 105 and Ultegra, as Shimano described themselves.

If for your purposes 105 is sufficient, and I would wager that for the majority of cyclists it definitely is, buy 105 and remain happy, and let others buy DA. I personally love when older, richer people buy DA because as others mentioned, that pays for R&D so that the high end tech from 3-4 years ago trickles down to Ultegra/105 level.
The front shifting is faster because the 2 piece chainring has additional ramps on the backside. It's the 1 piece between the two groupsets that makes the biggest performance difference
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-11-19, 09:58 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

That's not how it works.
Old 09-11-19, 10:14 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Do a web search for Global Cycling Network and watch their video on 105 vs Dura Ace. I think you will be surprised.
Old 09-11-19, 10:25 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
That's not how it works.
You'll have a hard time convincing me that the 2x+ price difference between Ultegra and DA is purely down to manufacturing methods and materials. There's going to be a lot of markup to make up for the reduced volume.
Old 09-11-19, 10:28 AM
noodle soup

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the 2x+ price difference between Ultegra and DA is purely down to manufacturing methods and materials. There's going to be a lot of markup to make up for the reduced volume.
That's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the money for R & D comes from the sales of all Shimano cycling products, not just Dura Ace.
Old 09-11-19, 10:36 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Sometimes certain Dura Ace parts - the 7700 bottom bracket and the PD-9000 and PD-9100 pedals come to mind - these parts are actually rebuildable. I personally value this option and will pay a little more for it. I have found that rebuildable Shimano parts can be adjusted really well and I feel that the time spent to rebuild them is worth it.

Often on rides I will hear the derailleur pulleys of 105 and Ultegra rear derailleurs squealing. The sealed pulleys on Dura Ace go silently for long periods of time. The 105 and Ultegra ones could be given a tiny bit of grease on the bushing which would quiet them for quite a long time, but a lot of riders are not enthusiastic about maintaining every little part of the bike.

I have heard that 105 and Ultegra pedals have cartridge bearings where you replace them as assemblies when they go bad. I'm using the Dura Ace PD-9000's and I did develop a creak in one of them when the factory grease sort of leached out of them. The rebuild process was not bad, it was relaxing in a way and I felt more confident about them after they were rebuilt. I was surprised though that many of the small parts are made from lightweight aluminum.

I also value the higher quality aluminum polish and exotic fasteners that are used on the Dura Ace components. I am not a racer, just a collector/rider who loves to tinker. With all the chatter on GCN YouTube about the classic silver components. I'm honestly surprised that Shimano hasn't resurrected the classic 7700/7800 look components to today's standards. People could easily apply clear "Crankskins" or similar "helicopter tape" to keep that pristine look as long as possible.

Last edited by masi61; 09-11-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 10:37 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
That's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the money for R & D comes from the sales of all Shimano cycling products, not just Dura Ace.
That's a fair point, but I'd be curious to see where these companies' largest profit margin comes from, whether the high frequency, low margin lower groupsets or low frequency, high margin higher groupsets. I forget that Shimano also makes much more than just bike components, like fishing equipment, etc.
Likes For Psychocycles:
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 AM
noodle soup

That's a fair point, but I'd be curious to see where these companies' largest profit margin comes from, whether the high frequency, low margin lower groupsets or low frequency, high margin higher groupsets. I forget that Shimano also makes much more than just bike components, like fishing equipment, etc.
At the retail level, the profit margin is much smaller on high-end bikes and components.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.