Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 02-20-20, 07:46 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
This month has been a wash. I broke the chain and with the repair stalled due to the lack of GRX components availability I went with the same that was on it. Sora. sigh!

I have not be able to ride due to RAIN, broken bike, and weather. this month i have 8.9 miles which is so sad.
Old 02-20-20, 08:10 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Drove in today due to needing to go to inspection for new home purchase this afternoon. And we are forecast for rain turning to snow this afternoon, which would have been fun to ride in, but I think there is a general panic about when the weather start talking about accumulation chances. Ha, even the local schools planned an early release based on the forecast. Schools have not yet had any snow days this year, so they must be anxious to use some of that time up or something.

I hope to bike tomorrow morning, but that could be denied if the roads are icy after overnight temps drop.
Old 02-20-20, 08:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Consecutive work bicycle commute number 899:

-3F this morning. I thought about taking the bus for part of the commute, but then decided to just suck it up and ride the whole way. Plus, taking the bus means I'd have to ride my old winter bike (so the wheels fit in the rack) versus my fat bike. The old winter bike is in bad enough shape that it's not very enjoyable (which is why I purchased the new one earlier this season) so I go to great lengths to avoid riding it.

There was no wind. As a result, the commute really was pretty easy.

Coming off the MUP and waiting to turn left onto the road, I looked to my left and saw another bicycle commuter coming down the street. We high fived each other as he went by. That was awesome.

Supposed to have a 30 degree temp swing this afternoon, so it should be 27F for my ride home.
Old 02-20-20, 09:57 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
24F, dry, nice

Likes For HardyWeinberg:
Old 02-20-20, 11:55 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Drove in today due to needing to go to inspection for new home purchase this afternoon. And we are forecast for rain turning to snow this afternoon, which would have been fun to ride in, but I think there is a general panic about when the weather start talking about accumulation chances. Ha, even the local schools planned an early release based on the forecast. Schools have not yet had any snow days this year, so they must be anxious to use some of that time up or something.

I hope to bike tomorrow morning, but that could be denied if the roads are icy after overnight temps drop.
I had a meeting this morning at 6am so i had to drive again. Schools are closing early here... nothing is falling.... yet.
Old 02-20-20, 12:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You guys. Here in California's elbow, there has been no precipitation in the entire month of February. The Tahoe ski resort snow blog says with wistful hope, "The first week of March we may begin to see some weak systems."
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-20-20 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 03:26 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
30F in the morning and sunny dry. My eyes are all buggy and itchy from few pollen in the air.
Going to get a mask with filter for riding.
Old 02-20-20, 06:04 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
-1F this morning, and enough wind to feel a wind chill. Running late and had two opportunities to catch a bus, but I opted to keep riding in both cases. Mostly I wanted to see if the new freehub that I'd swapped in earlier in the week would work in sub-zero, which it did. The bus saves me at most 3-5 minutes anyway, and I'd already put in some time from home, so being a little later wasn't a biggie.

Still some icy patches from the snow/melt/re-freeze earlier this week. I did see one other commuter. I'd be tempted to try a high-five, but it might be misinterpreted or mis-cued. So usually it's just an exchange of nods, a sort of silent "yeah, I'm as crazy as you".

Almost clipped a "pedestrian". Bike commuters using the Monona Terrace elevator actually cut through an interior space that connects the center to a nearby hotel. Guy was getting off the interior elevator, and it's a bit of a blind spot for bike commuters cutting through. Probably a visitor; seemed a bit shocked to see someone in a giant pink helmet and ski goggles on a bike in an interior space. I stopped in time and apologized. Only "close call" I've had for several weeks, knock wood.

+17F as I head out now. +40s forecast for this weekend.
Old 02-21-20, 07:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It was my first bike commute to my new job - it's been flooding here so I wanted to drive until I got a full access badge to sneak in and change if necessary. Otherwise an executive had to come down and vouch me in, and it could be awkward, not looking ready to work. The rain finally paused, and it's right at 0°C but no ice, and I have my badge, so it was a go! Nice ride though I felt a little out of shape.

It was also the first real test of my quick-release laptop carrier https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...p-carrier.html which worked as I'd hoped it would. Stopping at a store along the way it took 5-10 seconds to unhook and bring in, and was secure enough during the ride that I couldn't tell that it was there. Looked back to check a few times The braces aren't so strange looking and I felt fine carrying it into the more image-conscious area that I'm working.

So I'm glad to be back in the bike commute!
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-21-20, 07:35 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You guys. Here in California's elbow, there has been no precipitation in the entire month of February. The Tahoe ski resort snow blog says with wistful hope, "The first week of March we may begin to see some weak systems."
I guess that with our ~1" of wet snow last night we have had more snow than Tahoe!

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It was my first bike commute to my new job - it's been flooding here so I wanted to drive until I got a full access badge to sneak in and change if necessary. Otherwise an executive had to come down and vouch me in, and it could be awkward, not looking ready to work. The rain finally paused, and it's right at 0°C but no ice, and I have my badge, so it was a go! Nice ride though I felt a little out of shape.

It was also the first real test of my quick-release laptop carrier https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...p-carrier.html which worked as I'd hoped it would. Stopping at a store along the way it took 5-10 seconds to unhook and bring in, and was secure enough during the ride that I couldn't tell that it was there. Looked back to check a few times The braces aren't so strange looking and I felt fine carrying it into the more image-conscious area that I'm working.

So I'm glad to be back in the bike commute!
Welcome back wphamilton ! I'm a seat post rack kind of guy too so that I can easily remove it and go for a recreation ride if I want to. However, I don't think I've done so in over a year.

It snowed in the Charlotte area last night. Schools let out early and today they are either delayed or closed. Anyone who has seen real snow would be perplexed though. It was a very wet rain/snow mix that only stayed white on the grass. This morning the roads were mostly dry. I saw a frozen puddle or two, hardly enough to cause a bus to lose traction. Whatever.
Old 02-21-20, 08:01 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I guess that with our ~1" of wet snow last night we have had more snow than Tahoe!

Welcome back wphamilton ! I'm a seat post rack kind of guy too so that I can easily remove it and go for a recreation ride if I want to. However, I don't think I've done so in over a year.
I've resigned myself to just accepting that the seat post rack is permanent. They might as well build seat post and rack in one integrated unit.

It snowed in the Charlotte area last night. Schools let out early and today they are either delayed or closed. Anyone who has seen real snow would be perplexed though. It was a very wet rain/snow mix that only stayed white on the grass. This morning the roads were mostly dry. I saw a frozen puddle or two, hardly enough to cause a bus to lose traction. Whatever.
That's pretty much the way snow always is in the South. Every 3 or 4 years we might get a "real" snow that builds up over several inches everywhere, but even that seems really wet.
Old 02-21-20, 09:51 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
28F, bone dry, not a hint of cloud anywhere; 10th straight workday commuting, finally felt like I got my cardio back in serviceable shape, could maintain the speed I wanted spinning a pretty low gear. Only one day to ride next week unfortunately.
Likes For HardyWeinberg:
Old 02-22-20, 06:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
Last month was the hottest January for the world in history. I'm concerned about climate change, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the weather. Weather has not kept me off my bike yet this winter. I have more miles by now than in any other year at this date. Most days are around 40ºF.

Tomorrow I'll probably take a recreational ride with ascherer, and with a little luck, I'll probably get into some bike polo. Andy says he's resolutely not interested, but we will see.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-24-20, 05:44 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
A very nice commute to work this am. It was a little chilly with the temp at 28 f degrees but little wind. It always feels better to ride!
Old 02-24-20, 07:44 AM
mgw4jc

A good Monday morning ride with a layover at the gym on the way. Rain is in the forecast. The radar showed precipitation over our whole area for my commute, but it was dry and I only felt like 2 drops coming in. Must not be enough to make it to the ground.
Old 02-24-20, 08:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 901:

26F this morning, but no wind so the temp was pretty comfortable.

It got into the 40s both days this weekend. As a result, the snow pack started to melt, which flooded the concrete. Then when the temps dropped down during the night it would freeze into sheet ice. I went really slow this morning because there was a ton of ice everywhere. Made it without even as much as a close call, so it's all good.
Old 02-24-20, 09:08 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

We struck out on this round of shopping for a nanny. It looks like under the present daycare regime I'm only going to ride to work on Thursdays and maybe every other Friday. But I'm trying to get myself up to code for a gravel fondo in May, with 4500ft of climbing. So I'll be hauling my bike in to work to ride at lunch. This worked fine last week, except I really overdid it on the roadie bike, feeling weak the next day and a half and breaking a spoke to boot. New spokes are in the mail, hauling the MTB today to ride mostly on the pavement.
Old 02-24-20, 10:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I rode hard yesterday (Sunday), combining a recreational ride with a couple of games of bike polo. I was really sore by evening. I even thought maybe I should take a day off the bike. Good thing I scratched that idea.

I rode to school today, and I took it easy. It was a pleasant commute. Even pedaling gently and dressing lightly -- more lightly than everyone else -- by the end, I was quite warm. On the way, I listened to Pamplamoose, my new favorite band.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-25-20, 05:37 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
The temp was a warm 38 f degrees this am with dark skies but still a very pleasant commute to work. I smelled a skunk somewhere along the ride but never saw the creature, pure stroke of luck!
Old 02-25-20, 07:53 AM
mgw4jc

I was rescued by my wife yesterday afternoon. It wasn't raining real hard, but was not very warm either. It would have been a cold, wet ride, but I told her I could do it. She insisted.

Drizzling for the first few miles and wet roads for the duration of this morning's ride. Warm enough for shorts and getting up to 60F+ today. One neighborhood I rode through looked like the squirrels had been bombing cars with acorns. Acorn pieces were all over, many of them smashed by car tires.
Old 02-25-20, 08:03 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
40F and day 2 of steady rain. Put my rain jacket on this morning and discovered it was still wet (yikes) so put on another shirt and wore my warm weather rain jacket. It worked really well... who knew?!
Old 02-25-20, 09:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

noglider I've been following them since the Hyundai commercials some years ago. My wife can't stand them, says Nataly never gets out of "head voice." Jack is also one of the founders of Patreon.

Still keeping one bike at work to ride at lunch, the other is at home. Right now the lunch ride is the comMuTB. I re-laced the rear wheel of the roadie last night, with brand new DB spokes. It's the first time I've done a whole wheel. I've replaced rims before. Three years ago I had a bike that came with mismatched color rims, and I traded with a guy so we'd both have the same color. But that was taping rim together and just shifting each spoke over, this was my first with all the bending and lacing. I get now why straight pull hubs and spokes are a thing. Got about half the nipples tightened up through finger-tight before wife declared bedtime.

I was thinking as I worked about plucking spokes and the note they make. I'd made up a spreadsheet calcuating the note for various lengths and tensions and gauges but it just occurred to me that for butted spokes, the length should be the run of the butted section, since the ends are a lot stiffer. And since the same blank is used for a lot of lengths, the note would be pretty constant.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-25-20 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-25-20, 04:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Darth Lefty my spouse is a voice teacher and wasn't so harsh on Nataly. My spouse noticed I have a crush on Nataly, too, and she doesn't seem to mind.

My commute to class was easy this afternoon. It was raining lightly, but that seemed like a decent risk. I got into the building and then realized I had put the bike on the rack but hadn't locked it. I'm using a little locked pocket-park so I wasn't too worried. I walked back, and of course my bike was still there, and I locked it. But jeez, that's the second time I forgot to lock my bike!

Old 02-26-20, 08:28 AM
mgw4jc

Forgot to mention that I'm a Pomplamoose fan too. I haven't looked to see what they've done recently, so thanks for the reminder. Their "Single Ladies" cover was one of my favorites, especially when she just sang, "Don't make me sing this part of the song, the lyrics are so dumb..."

Foggy and damp here this morning. Kinda cool looking really when you can only see trees and fog. Looking out of the office window above the parking lot, I only see a couple of light poles and faint tree outlines amidst the thick fog.
Old 02-26-20, 09:07 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Sometimes snow is pretty, sometimes it's just wet white stuff. Today it's the latter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.