Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dry Eye Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 08:38 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Dry Eye Help

Hi,
Having a heck of time with dry eyes on windy days. Has anyone had experience with with glasses from eyeeco (moister release eyewear) or Rudy Project cycling glasses that have snap/Screw on prescription lens? I’m somewhat limited in frame size due to my lens prescription. I have a pair of Wiley Gravity frames that have foam seals around the eye area. Going to plug 2 of the 4 venting holes to minimize the air flow to see if that helps. My Oakleys don’t provide enough protection from the wind. Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.
Thanks, Ron
Old 04-12-21, 09:29 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Have you tried any kind of eye drop for dry eyes? I carry this with me as it helps me for when my eyes get dry or irritated :

https://www.thereliefproducts.com/pr...inkeye-relief/

I know it says for pink eye, but for some reason these really help. It is just a homeopathic eye drop, but my eye doctor said, if it works keep doing it. I always start a ride with two drops in both eyes.
Old 04-13-21, 03:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have issues with dry eyes and use saline eye drops, OTC. There are a few different ones, such as Clear Eyes. Stay away from Visine or similar drops. I also use wrap around frames with a larger lens size, but I am not limited to a certain style for any reason.
Old 04-13-21, 05:10 AM
JerryZ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My eye doctor who is a very avid rider, recommended to me Systane Gel Drops. The gel type drops will last much longer and works good for me.
Likes For JerryZ:
Old 04-13-21, 05:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I had an optometrist suggest Clear Eyes.
The doc said Clear Eyes actually helps sooth the eyes vs Visine that shrinks the vessels and can be harmful to the eyes.
Interesting! I also have had better luck with the Clear Eyes drops than with the others but never realized there was an actual reason for it. That is good to know!

Apparently I have Rosacae and one of its side effects are that my eyes are easily irritated by the wind. Bright lights too.... I wear some big wraparound shades someone here on the forum recommended, made by RockBros.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-13-21, 07:55 AM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Awesome feedback. I’ve tried refresh which seemed to work but without and real wind. I use Systane gel drops at night which have been great. I’ll try both Clear Eyes and Systane. Thx!!!!!
Old 04-13-21, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Didn't Ben Stein do some ads for eye drops back in the 90s? I would try whatever he was selling those were funny commercials if I remember right and he played the Teacher in Ferris Bueller so you know you can trust him...LOL
Old 04-13-21, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Used Sustain gel drops (not the night time ones) on my windy ride today. Works great.