Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding while high

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding while high

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 01:41 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You might want to do a little more research on how lungs work.
Drawing smoke into your lungs doesn't deprive you of oxygen?

What does it do then?
Old 04-15-21, 01:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted Noiz
Drawing smoke into your lungs doesn't deprive you of oxygen?

What does it do then?
You said smoking only puts it into the respiratory system. This is not accurate. Compounds of the smoke get into the blood stream through the walls of the air sacs, the same way oxygen is transferred from the air we breathe into the blood stream. Those compounds in your blood stream are what get you high, not oxygen deprivation.
Old 04-15-21, 02:38 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Eric F
You said smoking only puts it into the respiratory system. This is not accurate. Compounds of the smoke get into the blood stream through the walls of the air sacs, the same way oxygen is transferred from the air we breathe into the blood stream. Those compounds in your blood stream are what get you high, not oxygen deprivation.
Exactly. I wasn't clear enough... the oxygen deprivation is an aside, which you get when you hold your breath, which is what you do when you smoke weed, and which you get when breathing into the respiratory system the compounds of the weed, which displace oxygen. Like the spoiled child who holds his breath when he can't get what he wants, depriving himself of oxygen until he passes out. Smoking weed, we deprive ourselves of oxygen only temporarily, thus enhancing our little buzz momentarily, hopefully not passing out, falling down and banging our head on a hard surface, so that we can stay conscious and enjoy our little buzz while it lasts.

As for me, I bypassed all this fiasco and simply ate my goods, wasting nothing, breathing no smoke, not stinking up the place and displacing pain instead of oxygen. My buzz is optimally and evenly distributed throughout my body, so to speak.
Old 04-15-21, 03:27 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Definitely NO. It works better eating it. Eating it ensures you get it all, for one thing. Nothing is wasted. Chewing it (yes, it tastes like crap) until it is liquefied puts it immediately into the bloodstream through the mucus membranes. Then it's swallowed and digested. Smoking it is wasteful and dangerous, obviously. Much of the good stuff just literally goes up in smoke. Plus, you're smoking. Breathing smoke into the lungs isn't good for you. Eating the weed permeates the entire body, thus nullifying pain everywhere and causing total relaxation. Smoking only puts it into the respiratory system, so you're deprived of oxygen, the buzz is mostly in your head, and the eyeballs turn red and glass over.

To each his own. But I prefer eating the cannabis. More bang for my buck, won't stink the place up and no pain anywhere.
You sure about that? Maybe you're experiencing a placebo effect high? Source: article about eating raw weed
Old 04-15-21, 03:32 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Riveting
You sure about that? Maybe you're experiencing a placebo effect high? Source: article about eating raw weed
Whatever it is I experience--it works. They don't put all that good weed into lollipops and brownies for nothing.

I just eat it raw. Easiest.
Old 04-15-21, 03:33 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Originally Posted by big john
I'm not sure but it seems like if you ate a bunch of it some of the thc would get into your blood. The simple way to release it is to grind the bud to a fine powder and then saute it in butter on low heat, or so I've been told. You can then bake with that butter or just spread it on some toast, or so I've heard.

I haven't seen hash in years but you can eat hash and it will get you stoned, maybe because it's already processed?

A friend of mine who is a lifetime runner had a bout with cancer and the chemo made it nearly impossible for her to eat, and she was quite lean to begin with. Her oncologist suggested she try some edibles but he couldn't help her get it. She had never used thc before but she got some tablets and it helped her immensely.
According to this article, the THC doesn't truly exist until heat is applied, causing the decarboxylation process to occur.
Old 04-15-21, 03:40 PM
Riveting

Whatever it is I experience--it works. They don't put all that good weed into lollipops and brownies for nothing.

I just eat it raw. Easiest.
One time when I was 13 or 14, a "friend" tricked me into smoking oregano, and I felt high.

I'm not sure how lollipops are made, so no comment there, but the raw weed in brownies works because they're baked in an oven at 400 F. You shouldn't get any effect from eating uncooked "special brownie" batter.

Sorry if I ruined any of your future placebo highs.
Old 04-15-21, 03:40 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

According to this article, the THC doesn't truly exist until heat is applied, causing the decarboxylation process to occur.
Perhaps the people who wrote that nonsense need to eat some weed and report back to us weed eaters.

Eat weed, you'll get higher than a kite and enjoy a pain free body buzz while you pedal the metal.
Old 04-15-21, 03:47 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

One time when I was 13 or 14, a "friend" tricked me into smoking oregano, and I felt high.

I'm not sure how lollipops are made, so no comment there, but the raw weed in brownies works because they're baked in an oven at 400 F. You shouldn't get any effect from eating uncooked "special brownie" batter.

Sorry if I ruined any of your future placebo highs.
Nobody's ruining anything for me. Just put some bud in your mouth, chew it until liquid (better than grinding it into a fine powder), let it into the blood through the mucus membranes (believe me, you'll feel the surge), and finally swallow the liquid. You'll be higher and happier than a cat pissin' on a hot tin roof eatin' mice.
Old 04-15-21, 04:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I ride with some old childhood friends and they just do everything high, lol. I gave it all up in my twenties so I didn't have a conflict when raising my kids.
Old 04-15-21, 04:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

I'm not sure how lollipops are made, so no comment there,
My business occasionally interfaces with other businesses that produce or process cannabis products. I can tell you they got that stuff down to real science. There are some proprietary techniques for certain procedures, but they know how to get the maximum extraction from raw materials and turn it into money.
Old 04-15-21, 06:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I ride with some old childhood friends and they just do everything high, lol. I gave it all up in my twenties so I didn't have a conflict when raising my kids.
https://youtu.be/ah-uikFRW40
I haven't see the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers since the L.A. Free Press went away. Fat Freddie, Freewheelin' Franklin, and Phineous Freak. Oh, and Fat Freddie's cat.
Old 04-16-21, 12:37 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Edibles are NOT raw weed, they are made using "distillates" so that the actual THC, CBD, etc. is available to your bloodstream.

Eating raw weed you may as well eat a paper bag. My cousin worked in the industry for years and he's all about the edibles and 'terps and distillates.

Eating raw weed does not get you high. They don't just stick raw weed in your lollipops.....
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...aw-weed#can-it
Old 04-16-21, 01:00 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
Edibles are NOT raw weed, they are made using "distillates" so that the actual THC, CBD, etc. is available to your bloodstream.

Eating raw weed you may as well eat a paper bag. My cousin worked in the industry for years and he's all about the edibles and 'terps and distillates.

Eating raw weed does not get you high. They don't just stick raw weed in your lollipops.....
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...aw-weed#can-it
What gibberish.

But, as I said, to each his own. I will continue to eat my bud whenever I need it or want it and enjoy the benefits of raw weed--which burnt, baked or vaped weed does not possess--and which through personal use I know raw weed does deliver. Meantime you smokers, bakers and vapers keep on suckin'. It's all good.

And just think... since THC "does not exist" in raw weed--I can feel free to use it to my heart's content and never have to worry about passing a random drug test at work! HOORAY!
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-16-21, 11:36 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

What gibberish.

But, as I said, to each his own. I will continue to eat my bud whenever I need it or want it and enjoy the benefits of raw weed--which burnt, baked or vaped weed does not possess--and which through personal use I know raw weed does deliver. Meantime you smokers, bakers and vapers keep on suckin'. It's all good.

And just think... since THC "does not exist" in raw weed--I can feel free to use it to my heart's content and never have to worry about passing a random drug test at work! HOORAY!
Awesome, keep enjoying that placebo effect.
Old 04-16-21, 12:14 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Awesome, keep enjoying that placebo effect.
It's not a placebo effect. I would describe it thus: a powerful sense of well-being. It's not a high like the fry-headz and burn-outs get when they smoke it, as I said before it doesn't get all in your head and eyeballs, but it's an elation, a cut-off from pain, a clear high, if you will, whereas smoking dope is an obnoxious, foggy high.

Furthermore, there are juice recipes for raw cannabis that can get you "high" in the sense potheads mean it, and it is powerful and can even get the user paranoid and the whole bit, just like smoking it.

Raw is the way to go. Enjoy.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-16-21, 10:08 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Chewing it (yes, it tastes like crap) until it is liquefied
And how many hours of chewing does it take to "liquefy" a bud? Probably enough to put you at risk of mouth/tongue cancer! Have a look at the risks of chewing tobacco. Not to mention the damage you're probably doing to your guts.

If you think you're getting off after chewing a bud for eight hours I'm guessing it's a placebo effect. But at least by now your jaws must have the bite force of a pit bull.
Old 04-16-21, 11:23 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by fredlord
And how many hours of chewing does it take to "liquefy" a bud? Probably enough to put you at risk of mouth/tongue cancer! Have a look at the risks of chewing tobacco. Not to mention the damage you're probably doing to your guts.

If you think you're getting off after chewing a bud for eight hours I'm guessing it's a placebo effect. But at least by now your jaws must have the bite force of a pit bull.
It takes only a few minutes to chew it up and mix with the saliva and liquefy. Eating bud is good food that is good for you. Bud is not tobacco. Not even close. Both hemp and marijuana are good food, super-foods, super-veggies that have many uses, including food, clothing, medicine and recreational value.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-17-21, 01:30 AM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
It takes only a few minutes to chew it up and mix with the saliva and liquefy. Eating bud is good food that is good for you. Bud is not tobacco. Not even close. Both hemp and marijuana are good food, super-foods, super-veggies that have many uses, including food, clothing, medicine and recreational value.
Enjoy!!
Old 04-19-21, 12:04 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Originally Posted by fredlord

Other than the fact tobacco and marijuana are both plants, the similarities literally end right there. Tobacco is FULL of carcinogens, Marijuana is not. They are in no way, shape or form similar, other than being plants. Like about as similar as sea weed and a pine tree......
Old 04-19-21, 02:31 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I'm 73 and had my first toke in 1967. That having been said, I haven't had any in, oh, at least 10 - 15 hours. All things in moderation. As far as riding (or any physical activity) when high, I don't. My mind wanders too much and I end up thinking about grouting the shower instead of paying attention to threats.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 04-19-21, 02:44 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Pinelander
I'm 73 and had my first toke in 1967. That having been said, I haven't had any in, oh, at least 10 - 15 hours. All things in moderation. As far as riding (or any physical activity) when high, I don't. My mind wanders too much and I end up thinking about grouting the shower instead of paying attention to threats.
With me, not only am I looking for potential hazards, threats, etc., but I AM the threat. My Pug weighs 30+ pounds and is made of steel, and I weigh 240+ pounds with all my gear. That's near three hundred pounds of steel, muscle and skeleton coming straight for ya! Watch out! You sure don't want to get hit by me! I pedal as fast as I can most of the time and I am just flying! and having the good time of my life. Especially if I'm high!. If no one on the trails tells me at least once to "slow down!" or if at least three walkers hikers or bikers aren't overtaken by surprise and jump out of their skin as I pass--I haven't had a good drive. Terror cycling! Yeah!
Old 04-19-21, 04:42 PM
big john

Other than the fact tobacco and marijuana are both plants, the similarities literally end right there. Tobacco is FULL of carcinogens, Marijuana is not. They are in no way, shape or form similar, other than being plants. Like about as similar as sea weed and a pine tree......
It's the "Reefer Madness" effect.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-19-21, 10:34 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by big john
It's the "Reefer Madness" effect.
Dad was "refer madness" infected his entire life. Drinking like a fish was just fine, gambling, fighting, womanizing--all alcohol enhanced activities of his were just fine... but weed, well, that was drugs, illegal, make you lose your mind, make you lose control of yourself. We were admonished severely if we even mentioned the stuff.

Dad quits drinking at age 40. Too late. Many health problems from overeating, alcoholism, etc. Then, at age 80, cancer in his ribs and lungs from 40 years of heavy smoking. Gets ribs and part of a lung removed. He can't take the pain and wants to do himself in. I tell him to try eating some weed. It will help him sleep, take out inflammation, and make it so he can eat and hold down food. He resists for months until he can't take it anymore. Breaks down and calls me to bring him some weed, he'll try anything! I bring him some weed. He eats a big bud, eats a big dinner, crashes in his bed and sleeps like a baby all night. Now, he won't live without it.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-20-21, 08:03 AM
big john

Dad was "refer madness" infected his entire life. Drinking like a fish was just fine, gambling, fighting, womanizing--all alcohol enhanced activities of his were just fine... but weed, well, that was drugs, illegal, make you lose your mind, make you lose control of yourself. We were admonished severely if we even mentioned the stuff.

Dad quits drinking at age 40. Too late. Many health problems from overeating, alcoholism, etc. Then, at age 80, cancer in his ribs and lungs from 40 years of heavy smoking. Gets ribs and part of a lung removed. He can't take the pain and wants to do himself in. I tell him to try eating some weed. It will help him sleep, take out inflammation, and make it so he can eat and hold down food. He resists for months until he can't take it anymore. Breaks down and calls me to bring him some weed, he'll try anything! I bring him some weed. He eats a big bud, eats a big dinner, crashes in his bed and sleeps like a baby all night. Now, he won't live without it.
The fact that he made it to 80 is pretty amazing. My father was pretty healthy until alcohol took over his life. He was a drinker but functional and he hit a point where he couldn't go to work anymore, in his 50s, I think. He lasted until his late 60s, only because he would dry out for a while when he got too sick.
I'm an alcoholic and I quit drinking in my 30s after getting pretty sick myself, bleeding ulcer, etc. A doctor I saw included me in a study of alcoholic children of alcoholic parents. It was interesting.

Happy 4/20 btw.

Last edited by big john; 04-20-21 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.