Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colnago C60 or start with something lower down the scale?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Colnago C60 or start with something lower down the scale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 09:51 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Going from a road to mountain bike, you'll typically pick up 2-3 mph just from reduced aero drag.

Another option would be bank the money and say if I get under 90kg then I'll get the C60.
Old 02-19-17, 09:58 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
@robbo400 You write about having a fear that you are not good enough for your C60. Nonsense mate! 99% of the people here are not good enough for the bikes we ride. I was rding on a century ride and I thought that I was doing well. Towards the end of the ride I was climbing an 8% grade and hammering away when all of the sudden I was passed by a guy riding a heavy, steel frame single speed bike.

He looked at me, smiled, wished me a good day and then rode to the top ahead of me.

Yes he was faster than I was on that ride...but the ear to ear grin on my face, while riding the C60, couldn't be matched.
Old 02-19-17, 10:51 AM
robbo400

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@motosonic : thanks for the suggestion about Wilier. I remember the Pirate riding them before Mercatone switched to Bianchi and also borrowed a friend's Wilier Lavaredo for a month in the late 90s. Great bike and I would rate them n a par with Bianchi.
@gsa103 : great suggestion in terms of motivation. In the meantime, I need something to help me get to 90kg...
@Bottechia : if I may call you "Ottavio" thanks for the morale boost. nice story. The thought of that C60 and its attraction is so big

Thanks all. I'll keep you updated. Please keep any ideas on an interim bike coming...
Old 02-19-17, 11:05 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I'd add is that, while you may wonder if it's practical or if you might regret it, if you feel compelled to ask whether you should splurge on something, then you probably shouldn't, especially if you aren't normally the type to seek validation from other people. The C60 is nothing more or less than an object of desire, and we don't need anyone to tell us how much we desire or are willing to love something.
Old 02-19-17, 11:25 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy a used Glashuette Senator.
Old 02-19-17, 11:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I never end up regretting spending "too much" on something I really want.
I always do, at least a little bit. But there is something about owning and using something of extraordinary quality, that is extravagant by your own standards, that always makes it pleasurable. I can't deny that, and surely wouldn't try to deny it for anyone else.

If @robbo400 truly wants the Colnago but is only worried about the "fiscal responsibility" of buying it with his bonus, it's probably that sort of thing and it will be well worth it.
Old 02-19-17, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by robbo400

@ Clifford. I'm embarrassed to write that my weight today is 97kg. I want to get down to 85kg and doing regular sport at that weight, I hope to get back to my ideal range of fluctuating 80 - 85kg. The De Rosa has a weight limit of 90kg and I still have it. It still is a beautiful bike - the model is Dual from 2003 . Tubing is badged as Dedacciai's U alloy (which I think is scandium) and it has rear carbon seatstays and a carbon fork. Would you risk riding it? Probably with gear on and a water bottle, it would be carrying 100kg.
So, around 220 lbs, and about 22 lbs over the limit. Many "limits" by manufacturers are quite conservative.

What I would do and what a sane person would do may not be the same. What is the limit on? Frame? Wheels? Perhaps De Rosa would clarify. Personally, I'd probably ride it. Be careful about bumps, and leave the backpack home.

Anyway, I don't think I'd use that as an excuse to leave it hanging in the garage.

I'm sure I've been way over the limit on my old Colnago Super... more about that later.

, I think my biggest worry is not spending the money but that I am not worthy of the C60's level (I fear being over-taken by a 75 yo lady on a tricycle!)
So this made me think that buying a C60 was just an insult to Ernesto and his team and I should set myself a goal of getting up to 20mph average over a couple of hours on undulating terrain before buying it and maybe looking at something good secondhand in the interim to help me get there. I've looked at cycling weekend breaks for road beginners but I'll obviously need a bike for that. A secondhand one? Then again, that C60 is so beautiful...
I wouldn't worry about insulting Ernesto, or your "worthiness"... Just how much you will ride, and whether you will ride more with a bigger smile when on the C60.

I'm a very long-time Colnago rider. I posted a photo of my C-40 earlier. But, I bought my Colnago Super when I was about 16, many moons ago

Perhaps Ernest would have groaned at the thought of one of his fine racing bikes coming to the USA, getting a now vintage rack installed, and spending time from commuting to light touring, and being used by a High School student, and a College Student.

Fast forward 30+ years later, and it is much more battered. It has lost a few of its original Campy parts. But... it is still on the road. It isn't a wall hanger, or stuck in the bottom of some "collection". Probably not a lot of miles, but the years and miles do add up.

Even after being replaced by a younger, sexier sibling, it still enjoys some road time. And, not quite according to the original design specs.

I pass people, and get passed by people. I don't worry about it anymore.

Anyway, this is an early enough frame that it is quite possible that old Ernesto was involved with the actual production, and perhaps brazing. I would hope that it brings a smile to his face with the thought that his frame is rapidly approaching 50, and has seen pretty continuous use over those years, even if it has retired from the race course decades ago.

and would not find it to be as smooth and comfortable as I am wishing so it would just sit there and be used sparingly whereas I want to be using it every day I can. Unfortunately, test riding bikes in the UK is a near impossibility. When I was buying my De Rosa, I was pretty annoyed that the shop would not let me test one they had on display in a different colour and one size down...seems to be the norm here.
It is hard to say. Of course, I have the C-40 not he C-60. But, I've been riding skinny tire road bikes since I was about 10, so it would be impossible to tell how one person will react to another. I think I would be comfortable on any one.

You have the MTB and the DeRosa. Perhaps you could compare the two as a start. Your bike won't (shouldn't) suddenly crumble in the first 10 miles of riding it. Although, perhaps you don't want to ride it for thousands of miles without clarifying the design concerns.
I really got back into it on the flat and ended up riding for 1h 45 minutes and felt so exhilarated but a bit depressed as I only did 40km in that time (giving it all I could) which is approximately a pathetic 14mph on flat.

Would a better bike and gears that worked properly have improved this? Possibly slightly but at best by 2-3 mph and remember this is flat terrain. The reason is me not the bike!
Really not bad after being off the bike for many years. And on a MTB.

Many casual riders like to sprint to 20 MPH, but spend a lot of time at slower speeds. Add a few MPH, and your ride corresponds to 16 to 18 MPH... Nothing to fret about.

Re Endurance frames, I really want to stick with Campagnolo which usually means Italian bikes but your point is well taken - cheers!
You could custom build a used Roubaix frame, or just about anything else with Campy if you wish.

I really like the 11s Campy I built my C-40 up with (mostly).

However, I was also noting that my Tricross shifts nicely, and I think with Shimano Tourney? So, perhaps one shouldn't give up on Shimano.
Old 02-19-17, 04:44 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
Oh and if you're into Italian bikes, check out Wilier. The GTR series won bike of the year last year and it's a wonderful Endurance bike. Just something else for you to consider. I believe the UK versions can also be outfitted with Campy Drivetrains as well straight from the factory.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. The GTR is beautiful. OP, why not stick to a weight loss regime and get back on the DeRosa? I ride Colnago and love them but De Rosa makes just as sweet of a bike. De Rosa is a special bike and you could develop a nice sense of achievement by making weight for it. Buy the hybrid and get the weight down for the bike you have.
Old 02-19-17, 04:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
For some reason, Campagnolo has been slow at releasing hydraulic disc brakes.

One could still use other brand mechanical, or mechanical/hydraulic hybrid brakes with the Campy brake levers.

But, I would foresee the new Campy hydraulics making a big splash in the European comfort and cross bike markets, whenever they are officially released.

One can't wait for vaporware forever, but it might be a reason to have some patience with new purchases.
Old 02-19-17, 05:56 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
In 2010, I was around 220 lbs and decided I wanted to lose some weight so I made some big lifestyle changes and started riding my bike. It was a mountain bike that I bought new in 1990 and swapped out the tires for some heavy slicks. At the time, I went to a few bike shops and really wanted to get a fancy road bike. I made a deal with my wife that when I lost 30lbs, I could treat myself to a fancy new road bike. It took me a couple of years to do it riding that old mountain bike, and in that time I learned that I don’t really need what a fancy road bike has to offer, so I bought a decent off-the-rack touring bike for around $1,500 instead. Fast forward another 5 years or so, and I’ve lost another 25lbs and accumulated half-a-dozen or so more bikes that may be worth £5,000 all-together. I ride somewhere between 5-6,000 miles a year and still don’t feel the need for a fancy road bike. I live in a fairly well-to-do area and see a lot of overweight guys in their 50’s riding expensive new road bikes with a fistful of spacers and the stems and handlebars all jacked up and think to myself that they could be just as slow and a lot more comfortable on a much less expensive bike. This is not to say that you shouldn’t get the C60, just that what I thought I wanted when I got back into cycling and what I want now are very different.
Old 02-19-17, 06:31 PM
eja_ bottecchia

@robbo400

Actually my first name is Ernesto, like Colnago. The screenname bottecchia comes from my first Italian race bike, the 1989 Bottecchia SLX shown in some of the pictures that I have posted on BF.

I talked to Mike a few weeks back, we also exchange regular e-mails. He used to sponsor a racing team. He son was a racer, mostly in Belgium. Mike rode, as he likes to say, on the same roads that The Cannibal rode...Mike was actually in some of the same races as Merckx.

He love Belgium road racing and he is a big fan of the Spring monuments.

You can buy any of the bikes suggested here and you will do just fine. Buy a bike from The Maestro and if you develop a friendship with him, as I have done, you are going to get more than just a superlative bike, you will get a real education on cycling.

If my health permits it, I will do next year's Tour de Flanders (the amateur version if course). His son may meet me in Belge and be my "guide."

Cheers mate!
Old 02-20-17, 11:25 AM
lorenzo01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Steel

I am a big fan of both vintage and new Colnago steel bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EsaMex02.jpg (99.9 KB, 143 views)
Arabesque.jpg (100.4 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-20-17, 11:28 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the C60. I'd love to have one if the opportunity arises. Sounds like a good build
Old 02-20-17, 12:24 PM
Red90

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether or not the C60 is worth it to you is a very personal question. It has a lot of great things going for it from being a great bike, rich history, name, Italian made and great looks. Whether those things are worth it for you depends on your own financial capability and how much your willing to spend on those attributes. No one can tell you whether or not 5K is right or wrong.

The bigger problem is that you care what other people think. If you decide to cycle, you have to be thick skinned enough to realize cycling is for yourself and your own enjoyment. Who cares if your fully decked out in spandex and carbon, and some old dude in flip flops on a Walmart bicycle our rides you up a hill. I've been humbled many times, but I cycle because it makes me happy. When I first started cycling I felt my heart was going to explode and legs were on fire just on the tiny hill that tourist were easily putting along on.

Now I can get up local mountains and do some gran fondo events. And all of that is from incremental gains from pushing my cardio and muscles. As the famous saying sort of goes, "it never gets easier, you just get faster". Still, most people that are out road riding are faster than me. That doesn't mean I don't deserve to have a nice bike. If I spend all this time riding, suffering and conquering, I damn deserve a nice bike that I can afford. I don't care if it's more bike than my body, it makes me happy and I spend hours on it, screw what anyone thinks.
Old 02-20-17, 12:30 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ochs und junior moon phase. ride the de rosa
Old 02-20-17, 12:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by lorenzo01
I am a big fan of both vintage and new Colnago steel bikes.
Agreed 100%. Just look at my signature.

That's a beautiful bici.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 02-20-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:03 PM
lorenzo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Steel

I think once you go Colnago, you never go back . I am going to pick up this new Arabesque tomorrow.
Attached Images
ArabequeLugs1.jpg (101.4 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-20-17, 01:04 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by lorenzo01
I think once you go Colnago, you never go back . I am going to pick up this new Arabesque tomorrow.
Yep, it's a cult-like thing.

BTW, gorgeous bike!
Old 02-20-17, 01:06 PM
lorenzo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last bits are going on tomorrow. I hope to have some better pics soon.
Old 02-20-17, 01:07 PM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the C60. I suspect you'll always be longing if you get something down the scale.
Old 02-21-17, 06:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
....And off I went intending to ride a couple of miles. After 3 or 4 minutes, I was ready to jack it all in and write a post on here to apologise for wasting your time - slow, out of breath, aching and every slight incline feeling like the Alpe d'Huez.
!
Sounds like every Spring to me.
Old 02-21-17, 06:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Sounds like every Spring to me.
Old 02-21-17, 07:57 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I'm not familiar with the c60...it's not in my pay grade. I can tell you that cycling helped me lose 30lbs and moderate my knee arthritis to the point that I can play basketball, poorly, with my kids.
If it's something that will encourage you to ride in the way you see fit, sure. I do wonder about the geometry...is it relaxed or race oriented? Will you be able to ride it for hours at a time or will it cause extreme discomfort?
Your derosa would be a fine start. Smoothness and spinning are key. The wheels would be the sticking point. Most bikes at that time would have a hard time fitting 25mm tires.
I'm probably about 20lbs over the weight limit of my pinarello montello es. I can, if I choose to mash, flex it quite a bit. Or I can spin and it rides beautifully.
Lots of good choices..the c60 being the best.
Old 02-21-17, 08:20 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Hi all,

I've not ridden a bike for over 10 years and have decided that I want to get back into it at a nice level. It is part of my regime to get fit again, having already lost 10kg but still being 12kg over my ideal weight.

I have just had a £5k bonus from work and had intended making 3 purchases: a decent watch, a hybrid bike which I can just jump on to go to the shops etc and a good road bike.

The last road bike I had was a beautiful De Rosa Dual but, alas, I am over the weight limit for the bike. Comfort will be a priority but I'd love to have the same responsive acceleration that my De Rosa has. I thought I'd have to forgo the responsiveness for comfort which is the sensible thing to do. At 53, I am too old to get back into any sort of competition and realistically I want to work up to century rides and doubt I'll progress beyond that.

I had been thinking about either a carbon or titanium frame and was looking online at Boardman SLR Endurance and Kinesis Granfondo Ti respectively. Then today (on vacation in France) I went into a shop stocking Passoni, Colnago, Pinarello, De Rosa, Bianchi and Wilier - wow! Chatting to the guy, who knew I was not buying, he told me that the Colnago C60 had the comfort, speed, stability and durability in line with what I wanted. I spoke to a few guys of my age in the shop who had all returned to cycling in the last 10 years and all owned C40s, 59s and 60s.

The bug really bit when I rung a guy who specialises in Colnago in the UK who can do me the C60 frame, Chorus groupset and Ambrosio Excellence rims for under £5k. Am I being ridiculous in spending all my money on this as it's way beyond what I need and my performance level and look at a bike around half the price (as I'd intended and get a watch and hybrid) or should I go for it?

Thanks
I say buy the bike if you like it. Life's too short to live wondering what if...
Old 02-21-17, 11:19 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks guys for taking the time to write your very helpful replies. To answer some of your points:
@Bottecchia (by the way, a true legend, what a life story): yes it is Mike. Seems a real gentleman. If I buy, it will definitely be through him. I'll PM you following your kind offer.

@ Clifford. I'm embarrassed to write that my weight today is 97kg. I want to get down to 85kg and doing regular sport at that weight, I hope to get back to my ideal range of fluctuating 80 - 85kg. The De Rosa has a weight limit of 90kg and I still have it. It still is a beautiful bike - the model is Dual from 2003 . Tubing is badged as Dedacciai's U alloy (which I think is scandium) and it has rear carbon seatstays and a carbon fork. Would you risk riding it? Probably with gear on and a water bottle, it would be carrying 100kg.
I was surprised to read that you're afraid to ride the De Rosa because you're 7kg over the weight limit (I noticed that the bike is apparently rated to 210# in the US, so by that standard you're barely past the weight limit). I know of lots of riders who regularly ride frames that aren't rated to handle their weight, with no problems except a little more flex. As long as you're not riding over potholes, and doing high speed descents, it seems extremely unlikely that your weight will will break the De Rosa before you get your weight down.

It sounds like you loved the ride of the De Rosa. The simple solution is to bank the money, keep riding the bike from your friend to get back into some shape, and get back on the De Rosa as soon as you get it tuned up. Once you're back into good riding shape, and feel 'worthy' of a better bike, see if the fever for the Colnago has subsided. If it hasn't, revisit the subject. In the meantime, prove to yourself that you really are going to be riding enough to justify the whole decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.