Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin radar v3 is out

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin radar v3 is out

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 12:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin radar v3 is out

Doesn't seem like much improvement over v2.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...eview.html/amp
Old 05-13-20, 01:12 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Like he said, if you already have one (I do), not much incentive to upgrade. I have a Wahoo that links up via Ant+, so the bluetooth functionality isn't a draw. I guess if you didn't have a bike computer and wanted to use your smartphone with the radar, you might be interested.

I'm curious who is interested in just the radar without the taillight, especially given that it's a really good/visible light. But they must have thought there was a market for it.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-13-20, 02:41 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I just ordered one...but I really wish I took advantage of the sale ($70 off) that everyone was having on the V2 a couple of weeks ago, though...
Old 05-13-20, 02:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I still have version 1. Works great.
Old 05-13-20, 02:51 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I just ordered one...but I really wish I took advantage of the sale ($70 off) that everyone was having on the V2 a couple of weeks ago, though...
i got one during the sale, wish I’d done 2 becaus my wife wants one too
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-13-20, 04:34 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I'm curious who is interested in just the radar without the taillight, especially given that it's a really good/visible light. But they must have thought there was a market for it.
I've already got the RLT510, but I may get the radar-only unit. I think the Bontrager Flare RT is a much brighter, better attention-getting taillight. Perhaps I'm being a snob, but I've never run both the Flare and the Varia because I thought it'd look too wonky running two lights. So the weight-weenie in me says buy the radar-only unit and run it with the flare . . . roughly the same overall weight, same radar performance, but a much better tail light.

I think Garmin really missed an opportunity by not significantly upgrading the light brightness, optics, and flashing pattern.
Likes For RNAV:
Old 05-13-20, 06:06 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I love the 510. I have to move in and out of bike lanes quite often so it is a huge assist to me. I’m glad I got in at $129 as I just looked at Amazon and it is now $165.
Old 05-13-20, 06:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
If I were to lose or break my 510, I'd probably get the new Varia unit without the light, that way I could pair it up with a Fly6 camera/light.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-13-20, 06:43 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RNAV
I think Garmin really missed an opportunity by not significantly upgrading the light brightness, optics, and flashing pattern.
Really? I'm totally fine with the brightness of the light. I like bright (but sensibly focused/aimed) lights for the front, but I don't need/want megalumens blinding those behind me. Maybe if you often find yourself riding in to the setting/rising sun? Not something that happens frequently enough to concern me, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-13-20, 07:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

WRT the new radar with no light ... how much safety do you think there is in the way Varia flashes at motorists according to their speed?
Old 05-13-20, 07:11 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
WRT the new radar with no light ... how much safety do you think there is in the way Varia flashes at motorists according to their speed?
I think it's just proximity, no? I thought that it changed pattern when they got within X distance, regardless of speed of overtake.

Anyway, I would think that there's some benefit, and no harm, at the very least.
Old 05-13-20, 07:22 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
From what I've been able to tell the Varia changes flash mode whenever it detects an approaching object. I wasn't aware it had anything to do with the speed of the oncoming vehicle. When I test it in the garage I can trigger it by just walking up from behind the bike. It goes into what I call hyper-flash mode with increased frequency and increased brightness even though I'm only approaching at 3 mph.

And I don't know how much it helps but it can't hurt in being noticed. Of course if the driver isn't looking at the road nothing will help.
Old 05-13-20, 07:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by August West
Of course if the driver isn't looking at the road nothing will help.
On the way home in a short stretch with multiple traffic lights, I saw a lady (THREE TIMES!) poking at her damn phone on her lap. I felt like chasing her down and knocking on her window, but I was afraid I'd startle her and she'd swerve in to me.
Old 05-13-20, 07:30 PM
August West

Originally Posted by RNAV
I've already got the RLT510, but I may get the radar-only unit. I think the Bontrager Flare RT is a much brighter, better attention-getting taillight. Perhaps I'm being a snob, but I've never run both the Flare and the Varia because I thought it'd look too wonky running two lights. So the weight-weenie in me says buy the radar-only unit and run it with the flare . . . roughly the same overall weight, same radar performance, but a much better tail light.

I have both too and agree the Flare RT is brighter and more visible in normal flash mode. But when the Varia goes into hyper-flash as it senses an approaching object they look about the same brightness and attention getting factor to my eye. Have you set them up and tried this little test? I'm curious if it is just my perception or others see the same thing.
Old 05-13-20, 08:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think it's just proximity, no? I thought that it changed pattern when they got within X distance, regardless of speed of overtake. Anyway, I would think that there's some benefit, and no harm, at the very least.
Originally Posted by August West
From what I've been able to tell the Varia changes flash mode whenever it detects an approaching object. I wasn't aware it had anything to do with the speed of the oncoming vehicle. When I test it in the garage I can trigger it by just walking up from behind the bike. It goes into what I call hyper-flash mode with increased frequency and increased brightness even though I'm only approaching at 3 mph.

And I don't know how much it helps but it can't hurt in being noticed. Of course if the driver isn't looking at the road nothing will help.
​​​​​​I've never ridden with anybody else who had one, and I've never got off and watched mine. But I read that it blinks faster when the car is moving faster, and slows down as the car slows. I always assumed that was the case, maybe I need to lean it on a sidewalk and find out.

In any case it flashes at drivers even in steady on mode and I've always thought that was a big part of the appeal. Changing in response to driver behavior seems like it has to be more attention grabbing.

​​​​​​​I wonder how many of the lightless ones they'll sell, and if you'll ever be able to pair them with other lights to get the same functionality.
Old 05-14-20, 04:27 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm still loving my v2, works fine with my Wahoo. Don't need Bluetooth, but I thought they might come out some more flexible mounting arrangements but looks like the same seat post adapters.

I ended up buying a saddle bag clip adapter from Shapeways that works great.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 05-14-20, 09:09 AM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I still have the original Varia unit. I wish its light was brighter, but until it dies, I'm keeping it. The changing flash intensity is also great notification for riders behind me in group rides (they've learned that a car is coming up from behind when the intensity changes). My closest riding friends actually have their head units connect to my varia as well so that they get notifications on their screen if they're close enough to me (10m or so...)

I ride mainly country roads, so the Varia is great for me as traffic is not heavy. Probably not much value in highly trafficed areas as it will always be set off.
Likes For Beach Bob:
Old 05-14-20, 11:16 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I like to see these advancements, but I'm in a bit of a quandary, because the parallel development of cheap(ish) rear-facing video dashcams is also in full swing with products like the Cycliq Fly6 and probably others. Right now you either choose radar or video camera, or you will have to mount two fairly large devices at once to get both.

These things really need to converge. I'm a huge Garmin fan so I'd hope they could produce an integrated unit that does Varia radar plus has a looping dashcam video capability, and has the blinking red taillights or whatever. Yeah, battery power, but that's a solvable problem.

I really don't want to have two separate units mounted, and even the standalone RVR315 is large enough that in combination with something like a Fly6 that would be just way too much crap back there.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-14-20, 12:01 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
I just want Garmin to sell the D-shaped seat-post block versus having to buy a whole new mount with all three adapters.

Varia Universal Seat-post Quarter Turn Mount

But saying that, it is just an incremental upgrade. No need for me to buy with a RTL510. Maybe if they make a group sharing capability so everyone gets the info if they are within a certain distance, that would be a worth while upgrade for me.
Likes For cybirr:
Old 05-14-20, 12:13 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cybirr
No need for me to buy with a RTL510. Maybe if they make a group sharing capability so everyone gets the info if they are within a certain distance, that would be a worth while upgrade for me.
The 510 broadcast can already be picked up by any and all head units in range, and the range can be 100' or so. I've done group rides with 5 or 6 guys receiving info from my 510. You don't even need to enter a pairing mode on the 510 - they can grab the signal any time.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-14-20, 12:15 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Really?!?!? Will try that! Thanks!
Likes For cybirr:
Old 05-14-20, 12:24 PM
WhyFi

Really?!?!? Will try that! Thanks!
The obvious caveat is that each head unit is getting proximity info relative to the radar unit, not themselves, so if you're far ahead or behind, you need to interpret accordingly. Also, a cyclist can set off the radar with a sprint and then see themselves on their computer, so be prepared for others to make a sport of that on occasion.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-14-20, 01:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Beach Bob
I ride mainly country roads, so the Varia is great for me as traffic is not heavy. Probably not much value in highly trafficed areas as it will always be set off.
​​​​​​It's actually very useful in an urban setting because it shows you gaps in traffic. If you need to move into the lane to get around anything or turn left, you have a pretty good idea when to go without looking behind you. Obviously look before you move, but urban riding needs more attention in front of you because a kid or pet is liable to run out into the road at any time.

Also the pavement on the side of the road tends to have a lot of cracks, the travel lanes are usually smoother. Slow residential streets don't get much traffic and the radar lets you just ride in the lane as a matter of course, moving over only when a car comes up behind you.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-14-20, 02:20 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
As electrical gadgets get smaller and smaller, I think it'd be sweet to integrate the Garmin Radar tail light with a camera like the Cycliq light has.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-14-20, 03:39 PM
August West

i just want garmin to sell the d-shaped seat-post block versus having to buy a whole new mount with all three adapters.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.