Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Infrequently Ridden Bicycles - How Often Should They Be Lubed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 06:31 PM
kc27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When a bike is not in constant use, what relubrication schedule do you recommend? I have a few 10 to 21-speed bicycles that are used infrequently in dry weather on paved bike paths. When they are used, they can be ridden anywhere from six to 25 miles. Then they get parked and may not be ridden again for one to three weeks (stored in a garage). I have used Rock "N" Roll Gold or Rock "N" Roll Extreme lube on these bikes' chains. Just looking for some guidance on whether duration between applications is a factor that needs to be considered.

Last edited by kc27; 04-05-21 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 07:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If they're lubed properly in the first place, then I don't think any special attention is needed. The only case where I do something special is the winter bikes that spend the summer under an awning in the backyard. They get some WD-40 on the rust prone parts, then I leave them alone. Some things need to be done periodically, such as grease that dries out, but that could be a matter of years if not decades. With the exception of my winter bikes, all of my bikes spend the entire winter idle, and in the spring I just pump up the tires and off I go.
Old 04-06-21, 04:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Assuming you are storing the bikes where they stay dry, just wipe the chains off after a ride and then you don't really need to worry about cleaning/relubing the chain until the mileage piles up.

"Stay dry" means humidity counts, too - I have a friend who is a "snowbird," living 1/2 the year in Florida and leaving a bike down there in his garage. Humidity is so high there in the summer when he is up north, the chain and the spokes rusted up over the summer., So, now he lubes the chain before leaving, and puts the bike inside the house where the AC keeps the humidity down.
Old 04-06-21, 06:23 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much.... One to three weeks isn't terribly infrequent, unless you're in a really wet area or some other extreme weather.

I think of "infrequent" as the being like my dad who used to get his bike out on the first warm day in April, oil the chain, put air in the tires, and ride it around the block a couple times and then put it away until next year.
Old 04-06-21, 03:28 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I wouldn't worry too much.... One to three weeks isn't terribly infrequent, unless you're in a really wet area or some other extreme weather.

I think of "infrequent" as the being like my dad who used to get his bike out on the first warm day in April, oil the chain, put air in the tires, and ride it around the block a couple times and then put it away until next year.
Or, take out a bike you rode 18 years ago, and do a pre-ride checkup for lubrication and inspection. The Phil Wood bearing grease in the hubs, BB and headset was still fine. Brake and derailleur cables were fine. Pads were hard, so they got replaced. Since I had checked and opened the greased bearings, I still removed the old grease and regreased with Phil Wood grease.