Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez, another grail bike acquired

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Specialized Allez, another grail bike acquired

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 07:25 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
One of my grails too, I had one slip through my fingers just a few months ago.

I wouldn't change a thing, lovley.
Old 07-20-16, 07:39 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz

I wouldn't change a thing, lovley.
Agreed.

It's red. Can't go wrong with a racing bike. Imho
Old 07-21-16, 09:34 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
The Allez — extremely yummy and definitely a bike that strikes up envy! I do not feel that way about too many bikes!
Old 04-16-21, 09:30 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
OP: Wow great find! I've been researching San Rensho built Allez's extensively and believe you have a very rare 1984 Allez that was built by San Rensho. This is based upon the fact that yours has Campy dropouts which were used only in the '84-'85 Allez production runs. The vast majority of '84 Allez's were built by Miyata (based upon lugwork which can be seen in the '84 catalog) and the comments of Bryant Bainbridge who was VP or R&D at specialized during the early 80s (unble to post link) However, it appears that a small minority of the 84s were still produced by San Rensho as evidenced by the lugwork and fork.

I believe I have purchased another '84 San Rensho that I'll be posting pics of here in the next few weeks or so. Curiously, mine has the 84 allez non-rensho fork however the frame is identical to the one you have posted.

In either case, yours and mine are the only two examples of what appear to be '84 San Rensho built Allez's.
Likes For tendency:
Old 04-16-21, 11:28 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
OP: Wow great find! I've been researching San Rensho built Allez's extensively and believe you have a very rare 1984 Allez that was built by San Rensho. This is based upon the fact that yours has Campy dropouts which were used only in the '84-'85 Allez production runs. The vast majority of '84 Allez's were built by Miyata (based upon lugwork which can be seen in the '84 catalog) and the comments of Bryant Bainbridge who was VP or R&D at specialized during the early 80s (unble to post link) However, it appears that a small minority of the 84s were still produced by San Rensho as evidenced by the lugwork and fork.

I believe I have purchased another '84 San Rensho that I'll be posting pics of here in the next few weeks or so. Curiously, mine has the 84 allez non-rensho fork however the frame is identical to the one you have posted.

In either case, yours and mine are the only two examples of what appear to be '84 San Rensho built Allez's.
So no worries but you're working from a 5 year old zombie thread.

Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

You'll need 5 more posts for pics, just respond to any posts here or comment on any other threads that interest you.

Assume you know of Merz and DiNucci's involvement in these, I have 2 blue Merz SE's and a 3r as well as 5 Merz's from before he went Big S.

Here's the 3r.

Old 04-16-21, 12:13 PM
tendency

Hey - thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know it's a 5 year old thread however it had some great info ..
Beautiful Allez! Love the lug work very nicely executed. I have a Trek 770 which was Trek's top of the line silver brazed Reynolds 531C bike from '84 and the 3R built Allez's are definitely a notch (or two) above the Trek in terms of lugwork and overall craftsmanship - and the Trek's are *very* nice frames.
I would guess that's one of the unique '84 '3R' frames as you put it due to the Campy dropouts .. however who knows maybe some of the '83s (which as far as I've been able to determine have the same badging as the '84s) had a few Campy dropout built ones in the mix.
Yes, know a bit about the different designers and people involved though still finding out more and more as I continue to research.
I've been trying to buy a 3R for 18 months; they, like many 70s/80s fine steel bikes have exploded in popularity the last 5 years or so and have become significantly more collectible and valuable.
In fact, there's a very nice 1st gen 3R Allez on ebay at the moment that the seller is asking $5K for!
Likes For tendency:
Old 04-16-21, 12:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Hey - thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know it's a 5 year old thread however it had some great info ..
Beautiful Allez! Love the lug work very nicely executed. I have a Trek 770 which was Trek's top of the line silver brazed Reynolds 531C bike from '84 and the 3R built Allez's are definitely a notch (or two) above the Trek in terms of lugwork and overall craftsmanship - and the Trek's are *very* nice frames.
I would guess that's one of the unique '84 '3R' frames as you put it due to the Campy dropouts .. however who knows maybe some of the '83s (which as far as I've been able to determine have the same badging as the '84s) had a few Campy dropout built ones in the mix.
Yes, know a bit about the different designers and people involved though still finding out more and more as I continue to research.
I've been trying to buy a 3R for 18 months; they, like many 70s/80s fine steel bikes have exploded in popularity the last 5 years or so and have become significantly more collectible and valuable.
In fact, there's a very nice 1st gen 3R Allez on ebay at the moment that the seller is asking $5K for!
You're welcome and if you hit the "Quote" button, it will alert the poster that you have responded for more replies.

Yep, welcome to the C+V world during COVID, $5k!
Old 04-18-21, 08:02 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by merziac
You're welcome and if you hit the "Quote" button, it will alert the poster that you have responded for more replies.

Yep, welcome to the C+V world during COVID, $5k!
I think a big part of it as well (since I personally have seen big price jumps starting 5-6 years ago..) is the ongoing 'fixie' craze. Dont know about you but I cant tell you how many really nice vintage steel framed fixie's I see riding around where I live .. also, many retiree's have re-discovered biking and have soft spots for bikes of their youth.
Plus, it just seems like there is more interest in collecting these older bikes as well as a general resurgence in interest for steel frames.

But yeah, for sure Covid has definitely jacked prices as well.
Old 04-18-21, 01:16 PM
merziac

I think a big part of it as well (since I personally have seen big price jumps starting 5-6 years ago..) is the ongoing 'fixie' craze. Dont know about you but I cant tell you how many really nice vintage steel framed fixie's I see riding around where I live .. also, many retiree's have re-discovered biking and have soft spots for bikes of their youth.
Plus, it just seems like there is more interest in collecting these older bikes as well as a general resurgence in interest for steel frames.

But yeah, for sure Covid has definitely jacked prices as well.
All good points to be sure, you're preaching to the choir here in PDX, fortunately most of them haven't had the RD hanger hacked off but plenty have, I have no problem as long as they don't butcher the frame, no harm, no foul.

And as more and more of us become able to fulfill our childhood dreams, some prices will go up.

After a very long stretch of no bikes, I jumped back in with both feet about 7-8 years ago and went on a tear that has me sitting with most of my grail bikes in hand as well as too many others.....

I had/have no sense of humor about them, I paid dearly for some of them but was not going to let them get away, bird in the hand and all that.

Many were absolute bargains as well. I'm not in it for the money, haven't sold any, bought several that are way too small for placeholders that worked to bring the right ones to me so here I am.

Many were bought at a premium and were still a good deal as the next ones I saw were mostly worse condition, too small and more money.

Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know what they are worth to me and that is all that matters.
Old 04-18-21, 03:14 PM
AMDG

Bikes: 1977 Busana (Oscar Simonato), 1984 Giuseppe Villata, 1981 Giuseppe Limongi (track), 1981 Rossin Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One of the few things I remember from my Latin courses is the phrase "De gustibus non est disputandum"!
Old 04-18-21, 07:49 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by Picchio Special
I've seen at least one very convincing example with Shimano dropouts.
Yes - '81-'83 had Shimano (either 600 or Dura Ace) drop outs. '84/'85 Allez's have Campy drops. Apparently, San Rensho built some percentage of the '84 Allez's before Specialized fully moved prod to Miyata. (Sorry for responding to ancient zombie thread )
Old 04-19-21, 02:00 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yes - '81-'83 had Shimano (either 600 or Dura Ace) drop outs. '84/'85 Allez's have Campy drops. Apparently, San Rensho built some percentage of the '84 Allez's before Specialized fully moved prod to Miyata. (Sorry for responding to ancient zombie thread )
This Allez, the frame a fork of which, incidentally, I bought from @shnibop who started this thread, has Shimano dropouts. I believe it's is an '83.

While there's definitely something cool about the 3Rensho-built Allez's, the other early Specialized bikes are also pretty nice. I have a Miki-built 1983 Sequoia that I love. I doesn't have the long lug points of the 3Rensho models or the fastback seat stays (the signature feature of the 3Rensho-built Sequoias), but the ride of the bike is outstanding and the finish work is excellent.
Old 04-19-21, 06:08 AM
tendency

I agree with you that it's an '83 based upon the Allez badging (which is markedly different than the 1st gen '81/'82 Allez) and the non Campy dropouts. That's a beautiful example you have and even has the frame tubing decal 'Special Series Racing' which seems to have been unevenly applied by either Specialized or San Rensho to the '83/'84 Allez's.

I've heard talk from a Bryant Bainbridge quote that a smallish percentage of the very early Sequoias were built by San Rensho as well though I'm not sure how they are distinguished. In either case, yes I agree that even the non San Rensho built early 80s Specialized bikes were very nicely executed.

Thanks for sharing your bike the more I see the more I learn!
Old 04-19-21, 06:21 AM
tendency

All good points to be sure, you're preaching to the choir here in PDX, fortunately most of them haven't had the RD hanger hacked off but plenty have, I have no problem as long as they don't butcher the frame, no harm, no foul.

And as more and more of us become able to fulfill our childhood dreams, some prices will go up.

After a very long stretch of no bikes, I jumped back in with both feet about 7-8 years ago and went on a tear that has me sitting with most of my grail bikes in hand as well as too many others.....

I had/have no sense of humor about them, I paid dearly for some of them but was not going to let them get away, bird in the hand and all that.

Many were absolute bargains as well. I'm not in it for the money, haven't sold any, bought several that are way too small for placeholders that worked to bring the right ones to me so here I am.

Many were bought at a premium and were still a good deal as the next ones I saw were mostly worse condition, too small and more money.

Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know what they are worth to me and that is all that matters.
hacked off derraileurs?! wow that's a new one.
this also reminds me of how much 'ordinary' (or what used to be) Japanese components have increased in value just in the last few years. about 2 1/2 years ago I built up a Miyata with Suntour Cyclone and was surprised at how pricey it had become. A few weeks ago I was spec'ing another Cyclone kit for a new build and the prices have increased by probably around 100-150%. ouch.
Likes For tendency:
Old 04-19-21, 10:32 AM
merziac

hacked off derraileurs?! wow that's a new one.
this also reminds me of how much 'ordinary' (or what used to be) Japanese components have increased in value just in the last few years. about 2 1/2 years ago I built up a Miyata with Suntour Cyclone and was surprised at how pricey it had become. A few weeks ago I was spec'ing another Cyclone kit for a new build and the prices have increased by probably around 100-150%. ouch.
The fixie crowd has been hacking off hangers for a long time, almost seems like a badge of honor for screwing up a perfectly good frame that could be returned to full duty otherwise.
Old 04-21-21, 09:42 AM
tendency

The fixie crowd has been hacking off hangers for a long time, almost seems like a badge of honor for screwing up a perfectly good frame that could be returned to full duty otherwise.
Holy smokes these frames are light. I've got a 62cm and it weighs in at 2005 grams. That's virtually the same weight as a 62cm Raleigh I had that was built with Reynolds 753. Rumors were that these 3rensho Allez's were built with Ishiwata 019 but I don't think it'd be that light if it was. Ishiwate 017? Tange Prestige? Dunno..
Old 04-21-21, 11:06 AM
merziac

Holy smokes these frames are light. I've got a 62cm and it weighs in at 2005 grams. That's virtually the same weight as a 62cm Raleigh I had that was built with Reynolds 753. Rumors were that these 3rensho Allez's were built with Ishiwata 019 but I don't think it'd be that light if it was. Ishiwate 017? Tange Prestige? Dunno..
All the Big S frames from this era were specced with custom tubing from many different suppliers. Neenan, Merz, DiNucci, Bainbridge, Tesch and many others had a big hand in every facet from materials to building, production and manufacture including going to Japan for long stretch's to get them on board.
Old 04-21-21, 11:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by shnibop
...upon getting home, i rode it around the Newport Back Bay loop, a nice 11 mile paved bike path by my house. everything worked, the frame fit well, it was time to tear it down.
My wife and I lived in Irvine back in the 1980s, and we rode the Back Bay loop, across Lido Island, to Newport Beach as our local beach trip. Irvine to the east was orange groves (ah, the scent of the blossoms) and the roads were empty. I remember when Laguna Canyon road was a sleepy one-lane each way route that was perfect for bicycling in either direction.

Anyway, great bike. Carry on.
Old 06-19-21, 07:32 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by Andy_K
This Allez, the frame a fork of which, incidentally, I bought from @shnibop who started this thread, has Shimano dropouts. I believe it's is an '83.

While there's definitely something cool about the 3Rensho-built Allez's, the other early Specialized bikes are also pretty nice. I have a Miki-built 1983 Sequoia that I love. I doesn't have the long lug points of the 3Rensho models or the fastback seat stays (the signature feature of the 3Rensho-built Sequoias), but the ride of the bike is outstanding and the finish work is excellent.
Let me know when you want to sell that bike it's a particularly fine example and my size!