Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Balance of on road vs Trainer

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 04:02 PM
Pakiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even with the nice weather some days I just can't get out on the road and am looking for suggestions as to time I should spend on the trainer vs getting on the road.
What percentage do you get out on the road versus spending on the trainer. Also how many days a week do you try to ride.
I am training for a century and would much rather ride on the road, but if I can't I will get on the trainer.
Should I use the trainer as a last resort.
I find the trainer rides are different because I am pedaling all of the time vs coasting.
So they each have their advantage.
Thanks,
Allan
Old 04-27-14, 06:40 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trainer: 0%
Road: 100%
Days ridden per week: 3-5
Old 04-27-14, 07:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Me too, all outdoors. I don't have a trainer but I live in Southern California and it rains about 4 times a year.

Riding outside > riding on a trainer > not riding. if you need to use the trainer don't feel bad about it. I have read other people raving about things like "TrainerRoad" if you want to look into that to structure your trainer training. It might keep you honest when you're on the trainer, who knows.
Old 04-27-14, 07:15 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I try to get out and ride when time and weather permits. I hate riding on a trainer, actually sold mine back in February because I would easily make up excuses not to use it. Somehow I don't have a problem making excuses to not ride outside, other than weather and schedule conflicts, I love riding my bike.
Old 04-27-14, 07:17 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Days per week on bike = 7.
Ride outside unless the weather is too nasty to ride outside then I'll gladly ride the trainer. I find it easier to stay focused and directed with a Sufferfest workout on the trainer than any hard workout on the road. Where I live Traffic and stop lights are a non event mostly as I can avoid the "city" and the smaller out lying towns have too little traffic than to be a bother. Before I started using the Sufferfest videos individual trainer sessions were not nearly as much "fun" although group spin class was "fun".
Old 04-27-14, 07:27 PM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could move to California. Probably not going to happen in the short term. I do have the Sufferfest videos and did make a huge difference to my winter training. I could actually bike two hours on the trainer.
Maybe I just need to get some rain gear for the wet and warmer gear for in the cold. After all who knows what the ride day will be like.
I had read somewhere where a person did 75% of their rides on the trainer.
Thanks for the feedback,
Allan
Old 04-28-14, 02:26 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Each has their pro's and con's.
My feeling is that a trainer will all you to focus on an aspect of your training which can then translate to better performance riding outside. It could be endurance, sprint power, recovery time (think crits), or TT power.
I myself subscribe to Trainer Road and used it *A LOT* in Dec - mid Feb - probably 1500 miles worth. If I were allowed on the bike I'd be using it tonight as it's a downpour out there.
Old 04-28-14, 04:01 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I do spin classes at the gym about 2-3 nights a week and try to ride 1 long ride on the weekend and one shorter evening ride outdoors if I can. I know a lot of folks don't think much of spinning classes, but it all depends on who you have as an instructor. If you have an aerobics instructor who knows nothing of riding outdoors that decided to get certified to teach spinning, generally they won't be worth much. But our gym has mostly instructors who actually ride outdoors and a few that race, and they teach much better and more cycling relevant classes than the converted aerobics instructors. I bought a trainer many years ago, and can count the number of times I have ridden on it in the last two years on the fingers of one hand.
Old 04-28-14, 06:52 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
My first question would be do you race or are you focussed on some grand fondo type event? If not, there may be no real incentive to do good quality structured efforts on a trainer. Just doing time on a trainer is plain boring. Structuring the effort for specific outcomes allows me to be able to do trainer time effectively without it getting too bland. I am focused on the outcome rather than the journey. I used to do spin classes many moons ago, and they were good because of the gym environment, they were hyped up and dynamic and I like the social aspect to the classes. I bought myself a spin bike and tried doing it at home and that grew old very quickly.

Without a focus, a trainer may be one of those sit in the corner collecting dust type of investments. If you do have a goal, then go hard or go home ........... which is probably where you already are
Old 04-28-14, 06:58 PM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am training for a century ride later in the year. I want to finish under 7 hours. Trying to focus on pacing and also weight loss. Trying to ride 5-6 days a week.
Old 04-29-14, 06:01 AM
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am forced to use a spinner during the winter. While spinning helps my fitness level, nothing beats being out on the road with the bike. I tend to think I am spinning to get into shape for bike riding, so when the opportunity comes to ride the bike, why would I pick the trainer?

John S
Old 04-29-14, 02:22 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a trainer and made good use of it this winter and spring, and I think I like it more than some who have responded so far. To each his own, though. I ride 5 days a week total, and the breakdown is usually like this: one day is a long ride outdoors, I do an interval session and two easy rides on the trainer, and one other other day. When the weather is good that other day is outdoors, otherwise on the trainer. I find that I focus really well on the trainer and that enables me to get a good interval session. For the easy days it's seems like getting the bike out and riding isn't worth the hassle and it's easier to go downstairs and ride the trainer. I've kept one bike on the trainer, and I've got one more to ride outside which is really convenient. (Maybe I need more bikes but I haven't been a multiple-bike guy so far.) The trainer has really been a benefit and has kept me active way more consistently than I was before I got it.
Old 04-29-14, 03:10 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Originally Posted by Pakiwi
I am training for a century ride later in the year. I want to finish under 7 hours. Trying to focus on pacing and also weight loss. Trying to ride 5-6 days a week.
What type of terrain is said century? A first century that's 100'/mi might be a hard row to hoe in under 7 hours but a flat one doable.

In my opinion, there is something to be gained by doing structured training; on a trainer or outside. Structure doesn't mean one has to have a goal of racing.
By performing structured workouts you can achieve gains in aerobic endurance, FTP, aerobic capacity (VO2max) & anaerobic power (hills).
Sure they are 'work' but the payoff, again in my opinion, means the difference between finishing a new long ride and then falling over or being able to do the long ride with ease.

Being on a trainer allows one to tailor a structured workout or use one that's readily available.
Old 04-29-14, 04:02 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
What type of terrain is said century? A first century that's 100'/mi might be a hard row to hoe in under 7 hours but a flat one doable.

In my opinion, there is something to be gained by doing structured training; on a trainer or outside. Structure doesn't mean one has to have a goal of racing.
By performing structured workouts you can achieve gains in aerobic endurance, FTP, aerobic capacity (VO2max) & anaerobic power (hills).
Sure they are 'work' but the payoff, again in my opinion, means the difference between finishing a new long ride and then falling over or being able to do the long ride with ease.

Being on a trainer allows one to tailor a structured workout or use one that's readily available.
+1 on this. If I were just in the gym on on my trainer riding steady speed 3 times a week, I wouldn't get nearly as much out of it as I do with structured workouts like intervals and strength programs. Especially if your century is rolling hills, doing intervals either on the bike or on the trainer will really help you improve your ability to recover between hills.
Old 04-29-14, 06:03 PM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First century I was planning on was the Seagull Century which is quite flat with only 500 ft of climbing. Though I have heard it can be windy. I plan to do two other centuries in the local area which have plenty of hills. I will want to finish and feel good.

Going to take a look at trainer road to incorporate suffer feast and my trainer.
allan
Old 04-30-14, 08:35 AM
IBOHUNT

First century I was planning on was the Seagull Century which is quite flat with only 500 ft of climbing. Though I have heard it can be windy. I plan to do two other centuries in the local area which have plenty of hills. I will want to finish and feel good.

Going to take a look at trainer road to incorporate suffer feast and my trainer.
allan
I've wanted to do the Seagull but have a rule about traveling time and saddle time when it's not a race. Would take me 6 hours to get there and back on a good day getting across the Bay bridge.
Plenty of time to 'train' for the Seagull. I looked on Trainer Road and they do have Century training plans that look like a bunch of interval workouts which would help on your 'hilly' centuries.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-14, 08:53 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wanted to do the Seagull but have a rule about traveling time and saddle time when it's not a race. Would take me 6 hours to get there and back on a good day getting across the Bay bridge.
Plenty of time to 'train' for the Seagull. I looked on Trainer Road and they do have Century training plans that look like a bunch of interval workouts which would help on your 'hilly' centuries.

Good luck!
do you use Trainerroad. Has it made a noticeable difference to your workouts. Are there lots of plans to choose from.
thanks
Allan
Old 04-30-14, 09:23 AM
IBOHUNT

do you use Trainerroad. Has it made a noticeable difference to your workouts. Are there lots of plans to choose from.
thanks
Allan
I am subscribed to Trainer Road and used their plans A LOT between mid Dec and mid Feb and saw my paltry FTP go up some.
I haven't been on the bike since mid Feb due to surgery. I'm sure I'll have a lower FTP than what I had back in Dec.
Old 04-30-14, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rollers demand balance and riding in a pretty straight line.
Old 05-02-14, 11:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Never used a trainer. I mountain bike, commute or commute with studded tires. When it's really winter, I fat bike.
Old 05-02-14, 12:28 PM
DoubleTap

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on weather, but I ride the trainer some year-round. I try to ride 5-6 days per week, and maybe 1-2 of those are trainer rides, more in the winter. I have a coached training plan, and I often need the structure of a trainer workout to remove outside variables like traffic, stop lights, etc. I use Trainer Road and highly recommend it. I load my workouts as prescribed by my coach into Trainer Road. They have a workout creator, and I love using that to create my workouts. Reduces the boredom of the trainer.
Old 05-02-14, 01:48 PM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DoubleTap,
I tried Trainerroad last night for the first time with the Sufferfest Video Rubber Glove. I used virtual power and I was really impressed. There is a huge difference between using heart rate and power for setting a goal for workout.
I wish I had got it earlier and It will be interesting to see the data change over time and it will not doubt push my workouts to a higher level.
Allan