Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A collection to blow your mind

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A collection to blow your mind

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 10:23 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Whenever I read something like this...associated with the phrase "health issues", it makes me a bit melancholy.
Same here. Sad set of circumstances in not only divesting the collection, but also never realizing the museaum dream. Nice though that care is taken to transfer the bikes to new appreciative homes.
Old 01-27-17, 10:33 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Wow. That man had some good taste. Lots beautiful top tier bikes and truly rare bikes. Thanks for sharing.\

That Otis Guy MTB fork: first unicrown I've come close to appreciating.
That Otis is the pick of the litter in my eye. What a cool bike
Old 01-27-17, 11:10 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Not me. No matter how many shiny things.

So...thanks to those who are posting some of the pics here.
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
+1 agreed!
Originally Posted by gugie
Done.

Don't know if you need to have a Facebook account to view it.
I feel the same about FB; don't have an account, ain't gonna get one. But I can see the pics just fine, even still.
Old 01-27-17, 11:10 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
Not me. No matter how many shiny things.
Go get a throwaway email from Yahoo!, Gmail, Hotmail, whatever, and use that to sign up. Don't friend anyone, just follow the groups you're interested in.
Old 01-27-17, 02:12 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Bikes: Land Shark, Ritchey, Fat Chance, and about 19 others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm the one helping sell the collection. For those without Facebook I am in the process of setting up a website with a friends help. I'll eventually get all of the bikes listed on there as well as keep the Facebook page up and running. There is just so much to do. As for prices I'm working with the owner to figure out what he'd like to do. I have been checking eBay for similar bikes to get a feel for what their current market value is. Knowing the owner he's hoping these bikes are going to go to the right people. One of the bikes I have to do some research on to make sure might have been a bike Greg Lemond raced at junior worlds back in 79... There is a little bit of everything in his collection though he really likes boutique builders and of course Campagnolo. This weekend I am going to get some pictures of his vintage kids bikes, he has some very cool ones.
Old 01-27-17, 02:26 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
If you don't mind asking, which town is this collection in?

I have family in Josephine county, so a local pickup would be possible.
Not that I need or can afford anything I've seen so far.
But just in case.
You never know.
I should stop typing now . . .
Old 01-27-17, 02:50 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of it is in the Ashland area but I'm in Jacksonville and could meet them half way or even drop it off in Grants Pass (assuming that's the town they live in)
Old 01-27-17, 03:39 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
I am so sorry the owner is having health issues. Makes me think about how quickly one can find themselves in a bad position.

Might the good Lord help him though this!
Old 01-27-17, 04:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Hmmm, wondering if someone could come up with a special decal to commemorate the original collector.
Old 01-27-17, 04:52 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Holy crap. Those bikes look brand spakin new. Is that correct ? Thank you for sharing and your hard work photographing. KB
Old 01-27-17, 07:36 PM
RosyRambler

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Holy crap. Those bikes look brand spakin new. Is that correct ? Thank you for sharing and your hard work photographing. KB
Nothing short of a stunning collection of bikes!! Sad the owner won't see his dream museum realized, but it must have been a heck of a ride collecting these beauties. Even if I can't own one, I'm grateful for him at this time to be able to share them with us. Thank You and Best Wishes!!
Old 01-27-17, 08:14 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatjeepdriver
Hi Guys,

I'm the one helping sell the collection. For those without Facebook I am in the process of setting up a website with a friends help. I'll eventually get all of the bikes listed on there as well as keep the Facebook page up and running. There is just so much to do. As for prices I'm working with the owner to figure out what he'd like to do. I have been checking eBay for similar bikes to get a feel for what their current market value is. Knowing the owner he's hoping these bikes are going to go to the right people. One of the bikes I have to do some research on to make sure might have been a bike Greg Lemond raced at junior worlds back in 79... There is a little bit of everything in his collection though he really likes boutique builders and of course Campagnolo. This weekend I am going to get some pictures of his vintage kids bikes, he has some very cool ones.
I also do not do the facepage and appreciate your work on this for bringing it to the forum.
Old 01-28-17, 06:36 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here is the page I am working on for those who do not have Facebook. The Rogue Valley Collection

It is going to take me awhile to get everything posted and I will update the bikes as I go along with prices when they are available.
Old 01-28-17, 06:52 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
Thanks for the website reference. I know you've probably got a lot on your plate, but it would be great if people could subscribe to website content updates. Presumably, it wouldn't require any more work on your part. Add a bike, email goes out to subscribers.
Old 01-28-17, 07:01 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks for the website reference. I know you've probably got a lot on your plate, but it would be great if people could subscribe to website content updates. Presumably, it wouldn't require any more work on your part. Add a bike, email goes out to subscribers.
I will ask my friend who helped me set it up if that is something we can do. For the time being I am trying to get all the pictures I have uploaded to the site and as I get prices from the owner I will update the posts.
Old 01-28-17, 09:54 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fiatjeepdriver,

Great collection I have enjoyed just viewing it, I like a couple bikes but may have to be conservative because of other recent CV purchases.

One thing that was a little unclear during the posting of these bikes on Facebook and on your Webpage. I know you haven't posted prices on the bikes, but I am sure you must have had interest/inquires and I got dibbs on this/that one ,PM sent etc. So with the current format how do you decide who gets the bike? Is it who asked about it first? or when you post prices then whoever says they want it at that amount? I'm feeling kinda like this is a pre-sale viewing but nobody knows what the actual prices are. Or maybe some are sold already I don't know.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 01-28-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 08:58 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
It's a wonderful collection, and I also deeply appreciate being able to see them.

Still, I am also one of those who feel really sad for the collector. He's gone to a lot of work, and now must watch as the vultures circle.

sigh.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 01-29-17, 09:13 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
He's gone to a lot of work, and now must watch as the vultures circle.

sigh.
Someone said he has like 250 bikes. He decided to sell these(and it sounds like market price) and posted them publicly to do so. I don't think anyone here bought all their bikes from a shop or check every backstory or turn down a bike because someone has to sell.

It's unfortunate but we will all be in that position someday. His other option would let be to let them waste away or have someone come in later and do what they please with them. It was mentioned he wants them to go to a good home and that money may help him get better.
Old 01-29-17, 09:24 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
Still, I am also one of those who feel really sad for the collector. He's gone to a lot of work, and now must watch as the vultures circle.
It is kind of sad. Food for thought.
My plan is to start getting rid of stuff, so my wife isn't saddled with the chore after I check out.
I've only been partially successful so far.
Old 01-29-17, 10:32 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
My phone sent me someone's blog post about his "treasure trove discovery" via "uncle of friend" who left behind a camera stash.

As I read through his gleeful listing of cameras and lenses, I thought "Gee! I have all of those - and more. . !"

Another sigh.

No one gets outta here alive!

:-)
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 01-29-17, 10:41 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Collecting can be sort of an albatross around one's neck. But I still love being surrounded by beautiful stuff.
But, as we grow older.... the wisdom of having a lot of "stuff" is a double edged sword.
Old 01-29-17, 12:52 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well American Pickers tells the tale of the long time collector quite frequently. Often there is an old collector with a story about accumulating cool stuff, but now for whatever reason(Often health/old age) it is time to let it go. Another thing that the AP host Mike Wolfe show talked about on one show, was that he sees a lot of collector types with "unfinished projects" late in life.

Life is about balance, if collecting stuff starts to interfere with other areas of your life that are important to you, then that collector behavior should be addressed in a persons life. If you are taking it too far, and want to understand why you are doing it, then well, I don't know, maybe see a therapist.

I have only been in the CV mix here for about 8 months, and am noticing that this CV bike stuff is on my mind 24/7 and that I like "the Hunt" for it. I wanted a hobby, grew up cycling, and wanted to start learning how to wrench on bikes restore um and of course ride them. (& maybe buy and sell a few to upgrade my small lot).

I appreciate that the Seller of the collection wants to find homes for these sweet classic rides, with the CV community.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 01-29-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 07:00 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
@fiatjeepdriver,

Great collection I have enjoyed just viewing it, I like a couple bikes but may have to be conservative because of other recent CV purchases.

One thing that was a little unclear during the posting of these bikes on Facebook and on your Webpage. I know you haven't posted prices on the bikes, but I am sure you must have had interest/inquires and I got dibbs on this/that one ,PM sent etc. So with the current format how do you decide who gets the bike? Is it who asked about it first? or when you post prices then whoever says they want it at that amount? I'm feeling kinda like this is a pre-sale viewing but nobody knows what the actual prices are. Or maybe some are sold already I don't know.
It's taking a bit to get prices from the owner. How I am handling it right now is I pass along offers until I get prices from him. I am keeping track of when I get asked about certain bikes and will go in that order with only a couple of exceptions (i.e. if there is someone who comes in person and is getting several and there is no firm interest on the bike already)
Old 01-29-17, 07:51 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's taking a bit to get prices from the owner. How I am handling it right now is I pass along offers until I get prices from him. I am keeping track of when I get asked about certain bikes and will go in that order with only a couple of exceptions (i.e. if there is someone who comes in person and is getting several and there is no firm interest on the bike already)
Ok man thanks, it's a financial timing thing with me right now...so probably have to wait
Old 02-13-17, 12:29 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Greeting from Salem,

Glad to hear that the owner/collector is involved in the process. Initially I was worried that he was unable to participate or that his family and friends were having to do this because he was unable. Would love to have a step through bike like the Ron Cooper or Grandis for the dear wife, but would probably have difficulty justifying that level and quality even though it would be for her. I am satisfied my small collection of regular riders and at my age don't desire to add to it, but truly enjoy the Rogue Valley Collection.

By-the-way, great job on the web site. Keep them coming.

Cheers,

Van

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.