Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

General Journey 27" 12 speed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 09:04 PM
TNYVKG@OPTONLIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about a General 27" 12 speed bike as to where it was made and if General is still in business and where I could get parts. It says Journey on the frame. Thanks in advance
Old 02-07-06, 05:36 AM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TNYVKG@OPTONLIN
Does anyone know anything about a General 27" 12 speed bike as to where it was made and if General is still in business and where I could get parts. It says Journey on the frame. Thanks in advance
Don't know anything about the company, but you should be able to get any parts you need at a good bike shop. Based on the 12 speeds, it should be from the mid to late 80's. Pictures?
Old 02-07-06, 05:41 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
Is this maybe a store branded bike made by another company? Can you post some pictures and more detailed description?
Old 02-07-06, 09:36 PM
TNYVKG@OPTONLIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comeback. The bike was purchased new at a bicycle shop I think in the late 70's or very early 80's.
Old 02-07-06, 09:41 PM
TNYVKG@OPTONLIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is my next step to take it to a shop. I cant find the name anywhere. Thanks for the comeback
Old 05-02-09, 01:23 PM
Achill
new

Bikes: General Journey 27"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have one of these bicycles, anybody have info on it?
Old 10-14-12, 10:06 AM
mguerra22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spotted one at a yard sale , rides nice , from what a understand it was a New Jersey company that was not around that long.
Old 10-14-12, 10:17 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Heavy probably a high tensile frame, steel wheels. I did okay financially on reconditioning the General Journey Mixte below, including a Northroads bar conversion. Kind of a dead rider, compared to the French bikes.

Old 06-30-19, 11:32 PM
Mar.zucke

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a general courier 12

Ive been looking online for info about my General Courier bike. It looks like the silver one but woth drop bars. Im guessing its a Nishiki or Shogun, since ot feels like one, and i read that Nishiki produced more bikes under other names then with the name Nishiki. I can post pics only after submitting 10 written responses. This is my second one.

It has suntour components, wheels and seat were missing but I assume the wheels were 27" aluminum. The brake pads were set for 27".
Old 08-23-19, 08:23 PM
dsysko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TNYVKG@OPTONLIN
I have a General Jouney 12-speed and have been commuting on it regularly for 30 years. 2 weeks ago I retired it and moved to a 1989 Trek 970 in very good condition. The Jouney needed tires, chain, deraillers and gear sets, so it couldn't be maintained economically. Mine is light purple. I bought it from a neighbor who was running a mountain bike rental business at Sunday River Ski Resort in Maine in 1988 or so.
Old 06-25-20, 01:12 PM
Dan Trump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the General Journey 12-speed, and have used it to commute etc. for over 30 years as well. Since about 2010 I've had it tuned and serviced every couple of years. The bike shop near me has had no trouble finding replacement parts as needed. It's survived quite a bit of abuse (I ride it up and down curbs, over unpaved areas, and through construction sites regularly). I've thought about replacing it, but there are too many advantages to keeping it. It's smooth riding, climbs decently, and I can still keep up with my buddies on their more expensive machines. I never have to worry about it being stolen, either -- the frame is intimidatingly big enough that almost no one under 6' 4" would want to ride it.