Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Paris Kicked Out the Cars

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Paris Kicked Out the Cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 09:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Fort Lee (directly across the Hudson River in NJ via the George Washington Bridge) just sued to stop this. The timing was interesting that the news broke the Friday before Easter, but I don't believe that was deliberate. There will be lots of negative impacts in Fort Lee, in part because more people will want to use the bridge instead of the tunnels to beat the congestion pricing. Fort Lee is already a traffic nightmare and it is totally unfair to make them a designated loser in this plan.
I think the state of NJ filed suit as well. They have only themselves to blame, congestion pricing has been in the works for 20 ears, NJ has done NOTHING to increase funding for better mass transit. Christie, that Republican ******* of a governor who pulled that stunt on Ft. Lee many years ago to make access to the GW bridge near impossible (to get back at the FL Democratic mayor), refused to support the rebuild of Hudson River tunnels. They can only blame themselves.
Old 04-01-24, 04:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
The AP article was built from anecdotes ("many riders seem to think rules don't apply to them") while the Le Monde article was based on data ("use of cycling lanes doubled in a year").
The AP article also failed to even provide any anecdotes to substantiate or even address the "road rage" called out in its headline. Lots of bicyclists and a few grumbling fist shakers at clouds who can be found anywhere, anytime. Worthless verbiage accompanying pictures that told a different story than one of "road rage."
Old 04-01-24, 04:47 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I think the state of NJ filed suit as well. They have only themselves to blame, congestion pricing has been in the works for 20 ears, NJ has done NOTHING to increase funding for better mass transit. Christie, that Republican ******* of a governor who pulled that stunt on Ft. Lee many years ago to make access to the GW bridge near impossible (to get back at the FL Democratic mayor), refused to support the rebuild of Hudson River tunnels. They can only blame themselves.
Sorry - no response. Trying not to get censored for politics in a bike forum.